Eating at an Italian wedding ... suggestions?

Options
maglodee
maglodee Posts: 46 Member
I have an Italian wedding tomorrow, complete with a 9 course meal, plus wedding cake, plus dessert table, plus open bar. The plates are brought to the table, so I don't really have the opportunity to select my own meal.

Does anyone have any suggestions on managing this many meals, or do I throw caution to the wind for one night and just indulge? Should I eat normally during the day, or limit my damage by fasting until dinner?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Replies

• maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    I would just do a cheat day. Obviously if ur full don't keep eating but enjoy the food. My boyfriend is full Italian and they make the best food, I actually just had Italian wedding soup today lol. Just work it off tomorrow, have fun!
  • samhelen
    samhelen Posts: 98
    Options
    Eat and then Dance all night... and dance, and dance, and dance.... Enjoy it! Taste everything and enjoy it!
  • NiekaM
    NiekaM Posts: 5
    Options
    I agree that a "cheat day" is in order. Just make sure all next week is "recover week!"
  • vizamy
    vizamy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree. Have fun. Don't worry. And get back on the normal track the next day.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I am Italian and our weddings are the BEST!!!:drinker: Just indulge and enjoy it is only once in a while to enjoy this opportunity! Ciao!
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Don't eat everything they put on your plate lol! Being Italian is part of what got me here lol! Eat small portions of stuff, lay off the bread, go for red sauces over white/cream/orange ones. Eat a bunch of salad and just take samples of everything else...oh and if tehy have wedding soup eat it all (love that stuff!) Just enjoy but eat sensibly...dont eat an entire plate full of pasta...stick with chickens and means and soups and salads for the big portions and take smaller portions of pasta.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    eat what you want, but don't overstuff yourself. What I mean is: you probably don't get to go to weddings on a daily basis, so indulging shouldn't hurt you much. Once you are satisfied, slow down on the eating. Eat in moderation--especially the rich things--but don't worry too much about calorie intake for that one day.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Italian Wedding means dancing. You should be able to burn off plenty of calories if you commit to kicking off your shoes
    and joining the celebration... Enjoy the food, making sure you eat the salad and soup... Then just "taste" everything else.
    You will be fine.

I would be careful with the drinks. Plenty of water... Even if you drink alcohol, drink a glass of water in between each drink.

It's all about moderation.
  • maglodee
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!

I'll go, eat and drink and dance! I'll try to mind the portions and just sample everything, but I know it will be hard. I'm really afraid of the wine with the calories, and it's affect on lowering my judgement! My biggest fear is waking up Sunday morning having gained back the 16lbs I just worked so hard to lose!

I guess fasting won't really matter when I'm likely to ingest thousands of calories over my limit anyways, but I'll do my best! Thanks again!
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I find if I sip from my husband's glass of wine, I drink a LOT less. Of course, you'll need something to toast with, but the old "water in the wineglass" trick can help with that, too.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Rule 1.
    If it doesn't look great, then don't bother.
    Rule 2
    If you do like it, only eat about 1/2 the portion if its a bog portion.
    If its a small portion eat the whole thing
    Rule 3
    dance, dance, dance
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Have a nice time at the wedding.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Eat sensible portions and enjoy yourself! Don't stress!!
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Cheat day, enjoy it. And even though us Italians are pigs and eat huge portions, those 9 courses at the wedding WILL be small portions, too! Your pasta dish will be 3 pieces of ravioli. ;)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Have two of everything, drink a tad too much wine and dance your butt off! Italian weddings are the best!
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    To gain back that 16lb, you'd need to eat nearly 60,000 cal. I somewhat doubt that! ;)
  • greeneyed_beachgirl
    Options
    I have an Italian wedding tomorrow, complete with a 9 course meal, plus wedding cake, plus dessert table, plus open bar. The plates are brought to the table, so I don't really have the opportunity to select my own meal.

Does anyone have any suggestions on managing this many meals, or do I throw caution to the wind for one night and just indulge? Should I eat normally during the day, or limit my damage by fasting until dinner?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Eat. Everything. Enjoy it. Don't log it. Don't stress. Eat like you normally do the next day.
  • maglodee
    Options
    You guys are awesome! There are some really good suggestions here. I will try to moderate my portions, drink less wine, drink more water, and keep my *kitten* on the dance floor! Most importantly, I will not stress about over-eating, and just have fun. This will be the killer of all cheat days, but what hangs over me is that I was skinny before I married an Italian so I know what damage can be done! :bigsmile:

Thanks again for all your support!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Haha, I was going to suggest exactly what you said you are going to do. Those Italian weddings are nothing but eating and dancing. Enjoy it! That couple and their parents are spending a FORTUNE on it, trust me. Have some fun. 10 years from now the memory of having a great time and not worrying about the food is what will matter.

I am going to an Italian birthday party tomorrow, 1 year old. It will be as lavish as my wedding, I guarantee it,. LOL!
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    If I know italians and I do the food will be abundant as will the spirits but then so will the dancing! So eat and enjoy then dance the calories away! :)