Iced Tea?

Options
Do you know if drinking iced tea (especially the cold brew kind) is the same as drinking water? Some say yes, some say no. Not sure if I should track my iced tea as part of my water intake. What do you guys think?

Replies

• 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Tea and coffee are both diuretics, and thus make you pee. You'll lost more water over time then drinking either of those drinks over water.

They're fine every once and a while, but might be best to stay away from them on days when you're going to be working out and need to sweat.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Tea and coffee are both diuretics, and thus make you pee. You'll lost more water over time then drinking either of those drinks over water.

They're fine every once and a while, but might be best to stay away from them on days when you're going to be working out and need to sweat.

False. Water is a diuretic.

Water, tea, coffee, milk, juice, soda, and even beer and wine all hydrate you equally well.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I drink one cup of coffee every morning and one glass of iced tea with dinner most nights....
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Water, tea, coffee, milk, juice, soda, and even beer and wine all hydrate you equally well.

The tiger is correct.
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    CAFFEINE is the diuretic, not the coffee or tea. And there's enough water in most (espresso is a possible exception) to offset the water loss.

It's important is to drink pure water because it doesn't need to have other things filtered out by the kidneys.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    An abnormally large amount of tea, like 2 gallons a day, will have a diuretic effect because of the caffeine. Everything in moderation.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My understanding, from a couple of nutritionists, is that the caffeine is the issue. They recommended to me that I only count half of any caffeinated beverage (tea, coffee, soda) toward my water intake. So, if I drink 4 cups of water, and 4 cups of tea, then I get to count a total of 6 cups of water. Milk and juices can count toward water in a 1:1 ratio; but then have the added calories, etc.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    No.

Tea is a diuretic. For every cup of tea, coffee, pop, and juice (yes, even gatorade that is high in sugar) you consume you must drink an additional two glass of water. Or so my nutritionists and running coaches tell me.

I have heard that herbal decaf tea CAN count towards the water intake...but decaf coffee is acceptable in only small amounts....but I personally wouldn't have more than 2 cups of either anyways.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    My understanding, from a couple of nutritionists, is that the caffeine is the issue. They recommended to me that I only count half of any caffeinated beverage (tea, coffee, soda) toward my water intake. So, if I drink 4 cups of water, and 4 cups of tea, then I get to count a total of 6 cups of water. Milk and juices can count toward water in a 1:1 ratio; but then have the added calories, etc.
    Many things are "diuretics" - I can train a monkey to know what foods act as a diuretic.

What we humans are supposed to be able to do is think critically about the things that we're told and what we read.

The issue is NOT what's a diuretic and what's not, any more than "Will I lose weight if I eat X?".

The issue is how big is the effect for a given serving of whatever.

Remember - "It's the dose, not the poison."

If you're a regular user of caffeine (a regular user is someone who drinks a few cups of coffee or other caffeinated beverage) the diuretic effect is negligible.

If you're not a regular user of caffeine, I got nothing for you. Sorry. :-)

No, the diuretic effect is very slight and, especially for people who insist on drinking plain water, negligible.

Don't worry about it.

As it is said - "Eat less, exercise more, and get on with life."
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Well touche'. I don't agree with the wine and beer. With the amount myself and those around me drink... works the kidneys and liver a little too hard to get that net gain of fluids...
  • midnightryder
    Options
    So Tiger, are you suggesting that I should tell all of my congestive heart failureand chronic renal failure patients that they can have as much water as they would like because water is a diuretic?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    So Tiger, are you suggesting that I should tell all of my congestive heart failureand chronic renal failure patients that they can have as much water as they would like because water is a diuretic?
    Not_sure_if_serious.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_ridicule

Are you denying that water is in fact a diuretic?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/357169-diuretic-foods-list/
  • eelane
    eelane Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    just get caffeine free tea, that's what I do. Tastes exactly the same.
  • toabetterlifestyle
    Options
    I count tea as water. It's mostly water based.. But I don't count juice or coffee or milk or anything like some other's do. I only count water, tea, and aloe/coconut water.

but i still log them because aloe water ect has quite a few cals
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Some say yes, some say no.
    You know you aren't going to get a unanimous answer here. How about you try it for a while, and see if your pee is as clear as it should be?
  • kissy28wv
    kissy28wv Posts: 74
    Options
    Your going to get so many opinions on here. What I do may not be right for you. Listen to your body and do what it asks of you. I gave up iced tea and would love to give up coffee at some point but I refuse to give up everything I enjoy. I do two cups of coffee in the A.M. and two in the P.M. Is it right? wrong? its right for me for now. But I also get my water in through out the day.
  • stormy_eyez742
    stormy_eyez742 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Here is a link that may be helpful. It has information on what to drink, how much, how it counts, etc...I found it on eatingwell.com:

http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/nutrition_news_information/how_much_water_to_drink
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    big controversial subject - I like the advice that says do what works for you. Decaf tea is nice, particularly if it is green. COffee and tea have lots of nice antioxidants, etc. and caffeine should be used on moderation. I do count my 1 cup of coffee per day and my 3 or 4 glasses of decaf green tea amongst my water numbers and I don't think it matters hugely. Drink plenty of fluids. Water is good but so are the other things. The important thing to do is stay hydrated.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I only count stuff like tea as water if there's no sugar...so if I make my own iced green tea with JUST a tea bag and the water then I consider it water but if I'm adding sugar to it then I don't.

But I know a lot of people count any liquid as water...
  • midnightryder
    Options
    Well Tiger,
    I am indeed denying that water is a diuretic. I know exactly the definition of diuretic that allows you to call water a diuretic, but that definition is in no way a correct definition in the medical or pharmacologic world. A diuretic is any substance that would cause you to rid your body of EXCESS water.