strength training and/or cardio

Options
I need some advice:

When I started back at the end of Nov I was primarily doing cardio. (elliptical, treadmill, bike) I would do about 45 minutes. Not long after that, maybe two weeks, I added in weight lifting (strength training) for about 15 minutes. As time has progressed I found that I prefer strength training and usually do about 40-50 minutes on that. I would still do about 30-40 minutes cardio. Now with work and all I am pushed for time and I have dropped the cardio off most days and only do it on weekends. I walk, run a little, play basketball.

My questions are:

1. Do I need to continue to do cardio? if so
2. Should I cut back on strength training to make it fit in? or
3. Should I make another trip back to the gym to do cardio?

**Should have mentioned I go to the gym 5 days a week. M-F***

Replies

• deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It really all depends on what your goals are.

To create a larger calorie deficit, cardio is more efficient (burns more calories quicker). But you certainly don't have to do cardio to lose weight...you only have to eat at a deficit.

If you're eating at a calorie deficit, weight training helps you to retain muscle. I certainly think it's important to do it...but again, it depends on your goals.

If you are going to the gym 5 days per week, perhaps you could 3x per week of full-body weight training, and 2x per week of cardio. That is generally what I do, as I much prefer to split cardio & weight days rather than combine them.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You can do light cardio and still get results, you can't do light weight lifting and get results....drop the cardio if you have to drop one. Especially if you're playing sports a time or two a week.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It really all depends on what your goals are.

To create a larger calorie deficit, cardio is more efficient (burns more calories quicker). But you certainly don't have to do cardio to lose weight...you only have to eat at a deficit.

If you're eating at a calorie deficit, weight training helps you to retain muscle. I certainly think it's important to do it...but again, it depends on your goals.

If you are going to the gym 5 days per week, perhaps you could 3x per week of full-body weight training, and 2x per week of cardio. That is generally what I do, as I much prefer to split cardio & weight days rather than combine them.

^^^ this was my response :)
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have always read that a good fitness program contains three (3) elements.
    1) Stength
    2) Cardio
    3) Flexibility
    Some add a forth element of: Balance
  • Megdonald1
    Megdonald1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the responses!!

I think I am going to break it up and do 3x Strength training and 2x cardio. That seems to make the most sense. I do yoga on Thursday nights so I think I got the three covered this way. :wink: