Dog Breedism

Options
2»

Replies

• ccnjc4e
    ccnjc4e Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have a pitbull/boxer and they THINK the dad was a husky. She is a great dog. She is great with our kids (4 years and 9 months.) She minds well, and is the best dog I have ever owned. I can take her off leash anywhere and never have to worry about her taking off.

Akita's are one of the worse breeds I have personally ever seen. Other than a small breed. I guess people don't see small breeds as a threat bc maybe they think you can get away.
  • jcoco
    jcoco Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I would move or vote out the people that made this a law.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Any dog breed can bite. It all comes down to their owners and how they have been trained. While I only have small dogs, shih tzu and yorkie, I would be so pissed off if someone told me I couldnt have them. I would move to another place. Our neighborhood association also has a ban on 4 breeds of dogs, pitbulls, rotties, dobermans, and chows. It's getting to where it is becoming a form of communism if you ask me.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    what town are you in??? that sounds so silly
  • kimberly_grubbs
    kimberly_grubbs Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm in Ohio and the county I live in has lifted a breed ban on pits, but the actual town I live in hasn't lifted it yet. So it's not just a Canadian thing.

I totally put it on the owners for either their training (or the lack of) and the part that they should know their dog too! The only dog I've seen bite someone has been my mom's chihuahua, but the little thing has never been trained besides using a wee wee pad!
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I never understood what happens to all the current pets when they make these bans since seeing Animal Cops (Detroit I think) in a city where they ban pitbulls to combat dog fighting.

I think some breeds just get assoicated with bad things because bad people like them, like pitbulls. However, I agree with everyone that it depends on the dog and mainly the owner.

As a kid, I was bit by a fox terrier. Still loved dogs, but since getting older, I'm also much more hesitant around small dogs. I think with a larger dog, most owners teach their dogs manners and basic obediance cause you don't want a 80 or 100 lb dog jumping up or constantly licking you. However, people treat little dogs differently and provide very little training. Which once again is the owners fault, not the dogs.
  • parker13
    parker13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My late doberman, while very intimidating to most, was also extremely sweet, ridiculously smart and was ALWAYS nice to people.

It's ALWAYS the owners fault when a dog is poorly socialized, neurotic, and difficult to control. Those people shouldn't have dogs of ANY breed.

I completely agree that it is the lack of socialization and training that causes these problems, not the dog breed being inherently aggressive. I have a doberman and he is sweet and gentle, and while I get a lot of the expected reactions while out on a walk, he usually wins them over with his charming personality!
  • Ireshgurl
    Ireshgurl Posts: 559
    Options
    My family is a military family. We move every few years. We just moved last summer, but the housing on base doesn't allow "pit like breeds" so we live off base since there is absolutely NO WAY i'm giving up my baby girl. I either get the positive or the negative responses when I tell people I own a APBT. To those how react negativly I just shrug my shoulders and tell them they don't know my dog. She'd drown you to death by licking you before she'd bite ya, lol. I've never ONCE been worried about her with anyone or any other dog. And we've just adopted our second APBT and he'll get the same training she did to ensure that he's a great role model for his breed. Breed bans are the stupidest thing ever. It's just scared people trying to control something they don't understand or are willing to take the time to understand. The Vick dogs are the BEST example as to how an APBT can still come out on top after a life in horror.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I had a female Dobbie and she was so wonderful with my brothers baby.:smile: Let him pull her ears, climb all over her and never growled, nipped or was aggressive with the baby or any of the family or friends. She loved people and thought everyone came to play with her. I now have a G/S cross that is the best dog ever. The only time I have been bitten was by a chihuahua and a small chihuahua mix. :grumble:

My neighbor has an Akita (they have a bad rep) that is the most loving dog. He so big, his back comes up to my waist. She also has a lab that is a doll. She is also taking care of another Akita that lost his buddy at home and needed other dogs to be around. He is very old and not grumpy at all. No fencing and the dogs never leave the front or back yard. Everyone in the neighborhood love them and bring their dogs over to play with them. I bring mine too.

It's how they're raised.:drinker:

This town needs to do their research before putting labels on the dogs. Why is it that a few that have a problem can dictate what the majority of others have to do.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My family is a military family. We move every few years. We just moved last summer, but the housing on base doesn't allow "pit like breeds" so we live off base since there is absolutely NO WAY i'm giving up my baby girl. I either get the positive or the negative responses when I tell people I own a APBT. To those how react negativly I just shrug my shoulders and tell them they don't know my dog. She'd drown you to death by licking you before she'd bite ya, lol. I've never ONCE been worried about her with anyone or any other dog. And we've just adopted our second APBT and he'll get the same training she did to ensure that he's a great role model for his breed. Breed bans are the stupidest thing ever. It's just scared people trying to control something they don't understand or are willing to take the time to understand. The Vick dogs are the BEST example as to how an APBT can still come out on top after a life in horror.

Amen to that!!!!!!!!!!
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    My Lhasa Apso Daisy put the hurt on our neighbors Pit one day. Poor Oz didnt know what hit him! He just layed there and looked at her! Ferocious that Oz is!!!
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I was a groomer for six years and one of the meanest dogs I ever met was a Maltese.

I love Dobermans and would love to have one someday. Right now we have a 20 pound senior mixed breed that we adopted in 2008. She is the sweetest most tolerant dog with our kids and our cat, but put another dog near her and she'll try to kill it. She is the protector of the house too. If a stranger comes up to our door or our fence, she goes nuts especially if the kids are nearby. She won't let a stranger come between her and her people.

I want to add that we keep very good control of her. She listens if we tell her to back off, but she's always on guard. She is definitely dog aggressive, but we don't put her in situations where that is an issue.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    That's crazy. I have a pit bull, pure white red nose with amber eyes. I don't know what we'd do if they told us we had to get rid of her. She is the sweetest dog ever!