Long hair and daily worker outers :)

Options
So I love to workout and daily I try to do both cardio and strength training around the same time so I can shower after since I sweat so much (eew)... But being a mom of two sometimes I have to break my workouts up into day and night. What do you girls with long hair do about washing it? I used to wash it every day but it takes so much more time being long... Any advice on how to maintain my workouts and my mane :)... Everytime I have to blow dry it I think, "I should just cut it" but it's a part of me...

Replies

• MommyLyssa
    MommyLyssa Posts: 134
    Options
    I only wash my hair every other day (find that it is actually way prettier and easier to manage day 2! No, not greasy, I promise :).

As far as the sweating goes though :/ It's a tough. Sometimes, if I don't get too bad (shorter work out, or longer but less intense), I just leave it. But, if it was a gross work out, I will just run some water through it when I hop in the shower after a work out, and it seems to take care of it for me :)

My profile pic is the shortest my hair has ever been (and I growing it back. I missed it so!)

Good luck!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Don't cut it - you have gorgeous hair! I tend to workout in the late afternoon, then shower right before dinner and mostly let it dry naturally. The next morning I will use a straight iron or put it up, or if necessary get it damp and blow dry. I used to wash it every other day, but now with all the working out, I definitely do it every day. I usually just do one workout a day now (either running or kettlebells), but when I was doing 2 - usually one was less intense, and I didn't sweat enough to warrant a second hair-washing.

I've heard dry shampoo can work also - some brands better than others.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    <
    I am 44 years old, and I have long hair. yep. Happen to have this pic up on my profile bc I just got a haircut Tuesday (this is a big deal; I never cut my hair, ha!)

I'm a mom of 4 kids, ages 14 - 4. I work out 6 days, sometimes 2x. I'm a dance and spin instructor, a cyclist and a paddleboarder, so I am out on the water (lagoon or ocean) 2-3 days a week. My hair is straight and oily; I cannot ever skip a day of washing it, even if I don't work out.

If I have no evening workout planned, I wash my hair after my morning workout.

If I do have an evening workout planned, I wash my hair after the morning workout IF it was spin (or if I fell off my paddleboard into the lagoon or ocean--rare). If it was NOT spin, I will wait to wash it after the evening workout.

On a rare occasion when I would spin in the evening, I will wash my hair after spin even if I already washed it earlier. You just have to wash it after spin.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair every other day, but I condition only on days I don't wash. It works for me, took my hair a little bit to take to being washed every other day but it's great now. Of course, I also let my hair air dry so I'm kinda used to it always being a little damp. :laugh:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I wash mine every other day...even if I work out. I just pull it up into a bun after I give it a quick rinse. I want the sweat off...not the good oils. If I washed mine every day it would be so dry. Mine is down to my waist and I use a vegan shampoo that contains no sulfates or alcohols. I also air dry my hair...no flat irons, heated rollers, or curling irons for me. :)
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I wash every other day or if a workout really makes my head sweat (otherwise i just shower but put my hair up) I bought the Treseme dry shampoo and it works pretty well if I don't have time to wash it.
  • Balance27
    Balance27 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have not tried it but I have heard that baby powder on the roots of hair works like dry shampoo. It is supposed to soak up some of the oil and maybe sweat.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I have not tried it but I have heard that baby powder on the roots of hair works like dry shampoo. It is supposed to soak up some of the oil and maybe sweat.

it does work, the only issue is if you have dark hair it's very hard to get it to not look like you hair is dull and gray after.
  • VLaaber
    VLaaber Posts: 30
    Options
    I wash my hair with shampoo every two days and in between just soak it in water in the shower. add a little product and go! Mind you my hair is always up being a waitress so, different circumstances perhaps. Also leave in conditioner is my hero!
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I usually always wash my hair after a sweaty workout. If I don't sweat so much and I don't got to go out that day I usually don't shower. Overall though since I workout 6 days a week. I wash it often.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have thick curly hair and I work out daily. I shower with my hair up each day, but only wash and condition every couple of days. Sometimes it's more bearable to blow dry the sweat out of my hair right after my workout, and worry about washing my body later, but my hair can't take daily washes without drying out. I straighten after my first shower and then again the second day, but by the third I usually just leave it alone and it has a smoother curl pattern. Day three is hard for me though, and occasionally I have to use a dry shampoo, but the most recent brand I tried just makes me really itchy- to the point that I'd rather hop in the shower and have wet hair or let it try naturally and frizz up, then leave it dirty. :P
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I just try to make sure I have a towel with me when I work out and put it up as much as possible, some days I have to go to work, have to have my hair styled with makeup(sell mary kay!) after my workouts and as long as I try to dry it its usually ok. hard some days. if you have to do something after just concentrate on weights mostly instead of cardio. I live in phx az and the summers are brutal. the aussie hair spray works wonders for me.
  • Mamakmb
    Mamakmb Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    redken dry shampoo. cuts odor and soaks up grease. (i am a hairstylist)
  • megmo_7
    megmo_7 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I part my hair into sections and work in baby powder. I have dark hair and no one notices, I wash my hair every other day baby has always been my go to, If you try baby powder and you can see the white you havent worked it in enough, have used too much or didnt put it in the parts.
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options

I used to use this but as a warning to anyone who struggles with flakiness it will make it much worse. I suppose its b/c it does dry up the oil.

During the summer I will wash my hair everyday if I workout. If not, I try to let it go a day (I hate it but my scalp is sensitive). In the winter I have to wash every other day (rather than everyday) or else my scalp becomes extremely itchy. I have tried many things to help this . . . so yeah. I too mostly let it air dry.

I will say though that when I workout in the winter and its day 2 (not supposed to wash my hair) I will usually shower with my hair up but the edges usually get damp anyway and I think that helps deal with any sweat residu
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    If my hair gets sweaty, I just put some powder in it! I use the Lush dusting powders because they smell really good.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair once every 2-3 days....as long as I can manage before it looks greasy. I have a shower cap (if it gets wet it looks greasy faster). I often take more than 1 shower a day, but don't always wash my hair. I find after I wash it my hair is usually dry and not so great, but day 2 it's soft, shiny and so much easier to manage.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    dry shampoo. it's my life saver. means I don't have to wash my hair everyday, but gives me some relief on none wash days.
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

it does work, the only issue is if you have dark hair it's very hard to get it to not look like you hair is dull and gray after.

I wash my hair daily. I have oily hair so I have to. On the off chance that I don't take a shower I use the baby powder trick, except I don't use baby powder. I use face powder, the kind you put over your foundation to help it set. My hair isn't dark, but it isn't light either. I have noticed that the baby powder doesn't blend in very well color wise, but the face powder helps my roots look like a more natural color and blend with my hair better even if it isn't a perfect match. If you can find a translucent powder that is best. There are so many shades of facial powder out there, hopefully you can find one that blends with your hair color.
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Cindy... I'm so glad I'm not alone! I sooo avoid midday workouts for this exact reason. Thanks for posting this thread!