Yes I peak at your food diary and must ask you...

Options

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    why do you not monitor your sugars? Strictly curious as to why not..
    Cause it doesn't matter

1. You're at a calorie deficit
    2. You're exercising
    3. You're healthy
  • angelaclassact
    angelaclassact Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of sugary things, so I don't need to watch the intake. I care more about other aspects of my diet.
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I think everyone just kind of adjusts what they monitor to what best suits their needs. I NEED to track sodium and cholesterol for underlying health conditions. I choose to track calories, protien and fiber because they best control MY weight loss. I would love to track sugars but have no more options left. I think that's one thing that MFP could improve on...allowing you to track more nutrients.
  • GG70
    GG70 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Because I don't have issues with sugars, carbs, sodium etc .. as long as I am under my calorie goal, I'm fine.

And I ask you in return:

Why do you give a hoot what I monitor and don't monitor?

Because I am looking to relate to people.. Maybe I need to tweak some things.. I so appreciate the intelligent and thoughtful feedback received because it is giving me some things to consider...
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Because the sugar monitor on here is immensely inaccurate. You should be watching refined sugars but a lot of my sugar comes from fruit.

I'm definitely more preoccupied with iron and sodium.

You should also watch how much "natural" sugar you consume also. It is metabolized the same as refined sugar and can lead to chronic inflammation in the future.

*sigh*

Please stop. People will make their own choices based on what works for them and their goals. Do what works for you, but your posts come across as scare tactics and badgering. Stop it.
  • lschuttem
    lschuttem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    because i can already see how many carbs im eating. and sugar is irrelevant to me.
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    Bc sugar tastes soo good!!!! Lol, bc its really hard NOT to have some sugar. Plus, if I have a dessert, treat it makes dieting easier :D
    And as for worries of diabeetus lowering my weight overall helps with that too.

What is it that you are worried about specifically? Like if we are not gonna lose weight, or for raising our chances of diabetes?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Because I don't have issues with sugars, carbs, sodium etc .. as long as I am under my calorie goal, I'm fine.

And I ask you in return:

Why do you give a hoot what I monitor and don't monitor?

Because I am looking to relate to people.. Maybe I need to tweak some things.. I so appreciate the intelligent and thoughtful feedback received because it is giving me some things to consider...

Everyone's body responds a little differently to things. The best thing to do is figure out what works best for YOU. Like I said, I've never monitored my macros very closely. I've learned with my body - as long as I was in a deficit, I would lose weight. Now I'm in maintenance and I don't even monitor calories anymore. I've been at or below my goal weight since Sept 2010.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Because sugar is sugar is sugar and .. sugar is carbs and I monitor carbs.
  • lisaap77
    lisaap77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Because my weight loss is based on calories in vs calories burned. Also my goal is a high protein, high fiber diet. Sugars is not my issue. It's just one of those personal preference things and just finding what works for each individual. Unfortunately weight loss is not a one way fits all, it'd be nice, but it just isn't.
  • Scarlettdawn764
    Scarlettdawn764 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to do what works for them. I don't monitor my sugar. I monitor my carbs (always try to stay way under), my proteins (always try to reach my protein goal or go over), and my calcium (as osteoporosis is something I don't want to have to look forward to). It's what works for me.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I love sugar. My goal is to eat as much of it as possible, preferably coupled with fat and in the form of chocolate. *SWOON*

All kidding aside- I don't see sugar as anything more than a source of calories. If I'm getting enough quality proteins and fats, veggies and fruits, then the rest is fluff. I don't need to monitor the fluff.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Blood work won't show the signs of inflammation until after it has set in, which could be years from now.

I've seen nothing that remotely satisfies me as QUALITY science to support the hypothesis that sugar is in any way linked with inflammation.

Obesity is linked to inflammation. Fat cells, stuffed to the point of near-bursting, release inflammatory molecules that cause chronic inflammation. But sugar has nothing to do with this... except for the fact that it's easy to over-consume calories when eating a diet high in sugar.

And yes, I'm familiar with the articles/pseudoscience that fuel the sugar-is-boogieman alarmist nonsense. I don't believe any of it.
  • workerbee2011
    workerbee2011 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Because I think it's silly that a kiwi, a banana, and a sweet potato will put me 'over' on sugar. And, I just really don't care.

This^^^^

It drives me mad that there's no differentiation between processed sugars and natural sugars. You're seriously telling me I can't eat more than 2 pieces of fruit a day? I'm not going to listen to that.
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I track mine.
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I track my sugar. I have my macros custom set to try to keep it no more than 18 grams of sugar per day.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I normally don't eat things with sugar in it (bad sugar), if I get a bad sweet tooth I TRY to always go for sugar free even though it's not always better for you, I still try to go to sugar free. I personally can't eat too much sugar because it makes me sick. However today I totally failed but it's my birthday so I'm not trying to hard.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I do try to watch my sugar intake because of my metabolic syndrome so set close to 1800 ADA, and even natural sugar needs to be watched as well as my carbs
  • hippofabulous
    hippofabulous Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The sugar allotment doesn't differentiate between added sugar and natural sugar. So, if you're a fruit eater like me, you go over even if you have very little added sugar.

That said, I don't think there's any good reason to monitor sugar intake, or avoid the occasional dessert unless you're a diabetic or pre-diabetic.

Agree with all of this. However I do track my sugars. It's red everyday and I find that hard to avoid. Thinking about removing it frankly.
  • spottedlee
    spottedlee Posts: 372
    Options
    Because I haven't found sugar to make a difference in my weight loss or my overall health (based on bloodwork and how I feel). I do tons of long endurance-type cardio, and to be honest - my best workouts are often fueled by jellybeans. :-)

^^ This AND because alot of my sugars come from fruit... I <3 fruit. :bigsmile:
    Me three