4 minute workout? how many calories will it burn at least?

Options
a well known easy fix that apparently can be more effective than up to 40 minutes of normal cardio (running/jogging).
20 seconds of squat thrusts
10 seconds resting
20 seconds of mountain climbers
10 seconds resting
20 seconds high knees
10 seconds resting
20 seconds jumping jacks
10 seconds resting
20 seconds of squat thrusts
10 seconds resting
20 seconds of mountain climbers
10 seconds resting
20 seconds high knees
10 seconds resting
20 seconds jumping jacks
10 seconds resting
TOTAL: 4 minutes
I've done this for the past two days because i've been too busy to run, and believe me, it sure puts me out of breathe. The combination of fast and intense intervals with little rest time in between results in an extremely elevated heart rate..... and apparently it keeps your heart rate up for hours on end after you finish exercising!!!! sounds great! right?

MY BIG QUESTION: IS THERE AN ESTIMATE OF TOTAL CALORIES BURNED? ANY WAY OF TELLING?
i'd like to know so i can keep better track of my caloric intake/burning in my food diary.

COMMENTS APPRECIATED! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    HRM is the only way to tell for sure.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    HRM is the only way to tell for sure.

sorry, but what is HRM?

Heart Rate Moniter
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I used my heart rate monitor to measure a very similar low impact routine I did last night (ten minutes). I burned 54 cals (5'7, 150lbs).

I...really don't know where the idea that your heart rate will stay up comes from, but my heart rate dropped back down to normal within 5 minutes of the workout.

Doesn't meant it's not worth doing...
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    And even that will only give an estimation. An informed estimate, but nevertheless only an estimation.

My guess is if you do that without stopping, someone weighing about 150lb will burn about 50 calories. For me at 119lb it would be more like 35. It may be effective at increasing cardiovascular fitness, but it's sod all use to burn calories.

Plus, it will take far more than four minutes because unless you're going to injure yourself, you'd need a pretty comprehensive warmup before doing it. Frankly you'll probably burn more calories warming up and cooling down!
  • ThatCindyGirl
    Options
    Human Resource Manager...lol

no, It stands for Heart Rate Monitor. There are tons of HRM gadgets that can help monitor your heart rate+. Lots of people on here use whats called a Fitbit. It can plug into your comp and sync the information directly to your account.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    50 calories is my estimate. That's a weak workout, if anything, you would do that 5 to 10 times to get an effective workout
  • Lolli1986
    Options
    Plus, it will take far more than four minutes because unless you're going to injure yourself, you'd need a pretty comprehensive warmup before doing it. Frankly you'll probably burn more calories warming up and cooling down!

really? it honestly reads like a warm-up to me.
  • TourThePast
    Options
    Incidentally, producing an "Extremely high heart rate" is NOT a great indicator of what makes a "good" exercise for someone who is unfit.

Stop looking for quick fixes, they may land you with a heart attack!
  • Lolli1986
    Options
    I used my heart rate monitor to measure a very similar low impact routine I did last night (ten minutes). I burned 54 cals (5'7, 150lbs).

I...really don't know where the idea that your heart rate will stay up comes from, but my heart rate dropped back down to normal within 5 minutes of the workout.

will it eventually lead to weight loss, though? because apparently its great if you're busy and can't go for a 40 minute workout. should i just work harder to find time to do a full 40 minutes of cardio?

The only way that I can think of something like that helping you is if you do it in the morning, and it is more likely to make you use your body more throughout the day.

Sorry, but I don't have any further actual info.
  • Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    I am no exercise guru! But if you could up them to 1 minute instead of 20 seconds, it should be much more worth while. I did see something about very high intensity training for a few minutes having a good effect on your health, but don't bank many calories on it! :bigsmile:
  • TourThePast
    Options
    will it eventually lead to weight loss, though? because apparently its great if you're busy and can't go for a 40 minute workout. should i just work harder to find time to do a full 40 minutes of cardio?
    Work harder to find time to do cardio AND resistance training. If you only have time to do one, go for the resistance training.

Will it lead to weight loss? At 50 calories a workout, it would take 70 days to lose one pound.

That is only if you do not end up eating more "because you're exercising"

As I said, stop looking for quick fixes for exercise.

If you want a quick fix, stop eating any food that has sugar as an ingredient, and don't eat other stuff instead to make up for it. For the majority of the population that will do the trick.

Or you could use this site as it's intended to be used, log your calories, watch your macros, do some exercise, see the pounds drop off.
  • TourThePast
    Options

really? it honestly reads like a warm-up to me.
    We are taking about someone who says it produces "An extremely elevated heart rate" - so presumably they are currently extremely unfit.

Personally I would not warm up using squat thrusts and jumping jacks...
  • sherryberry07
    Options
    You're a bodyrocker aren't you? I do their routines all the time, LOVE them, but I never log it. I'm one of those people who don't eat back their calories (at least not for routines like that) and the results are amazing. Your heart rate should go back to normal after the workout. If it doesn't something isn't right. It will keep your body fired up for a while after, that is true, but heart rate should go back to normal - that is a sign of good health. I would say just keep it up, but if you're only doing 4 minute routines, don't log the exercise as it's not really enough to make a difference.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

No, it won't lead to weight loss. A calorie deficit will lead to weight loss. A short high intensity workout is as effective as hours of normal exercise for blasting the gunk out of your arteries, and improving your reaction to insulin, but does nothing at all for weight loss or cardiovascular fitness.
  • juliarubin525
    Options
    HRM is heart rate monitor.
    Ive been doing 100 "high knees", 5 reps with 30 seconds in between.
    Any way to know calories burned? It doesnt seem to be in the exercise database
  • llevin11
    Options
    Just my two cents, but I do love this workout. I consider myself to be very in shape. I typically eat very lean and try to work out or do something active every day. Even at 5'7" and 110lbs, this work out feels super intense for me. My heart is pounding, I'm sweating, and my whole body feels like jello right after I finish. It may not be the best at burning calories, but I wouldn't knock it until you've tried it. I feel just as exhausted after this work out as I do after spending 45 minutes on a cardio machine. I wouldn't rely solely on this routine, but it is an added bonus.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    between 35 and 45 calories