A calorie is a calorie.......or is it??????

Options
I have learned one truth during this long journey to a healthy, fit, well-toned, tight body, the hard way............

A calorie IS a calorie when it comes to general weight loss....... BUT

A calorie IS NOT a calorie when it comes to health and nutrients

A calorie is NOT a calorie when it comes to defeating the "SOFT AREAs"

A calorie is most assuredly not a calorie when it comes to MY ABDOMINALS........Ughhhhhhh

This has been the missing piece of the puzzle for me going from "nice body" to "wow, I love your arms/abs/etc

By they way, if anyone is peeping my diet, don't judge me (lol), yesterday was a BAD CHEAT day, out for lunch and on top of that I couldn't resist the pizza anymore that my husband bought 2 days ago.

Replies

• Lauraph
    Lauraph Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Good point!

Yes, I came to this realization a couple of years ago as well. I counted my "calories" and got thin.... and sick... eating crap. Lots of fat-free and low-calorie "food".

Amazing what high quality calories can do! I can't see all my muscles yet, but y body can run faster and cycle farther than it could when I was not eating right.

Chase health not weight loss and good things will come.
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Most definetly. I posted something like this about 6 months ago and got attacked. Everyone said exactly that a calorie is a calorie and you will still loose weight. Well that might be true but if I wanted to reduce my waist size and actually be healthy I had to drastically change my eating habits. I really didnt know how to do that so I ate everything in moderation. Problem with that is my body always craved more junk. I'm now doing Jaime Easons program and eating clean 6 times a day no junk. I will let you know how it goes
  • egdanger1
    egdanger1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Good point!

Yes, I came to this realization a couple of years ago as well. I counted my "calories" and got thin.... and sick... eating crap. Lots of fat-free and low-calorie "food".

Amazing what high quality calories can do! I can't see all my muscles yet, but y body can run faster and cycle farther than it could when I was not eating right.

I like that quote- Chase health not weight and good things will com. I will have to use that.
  • egdanger1
    Options
    Most definetly. I posted something like this about 6 months ago and got attacked. Everyone said exactly that a calorie is a calorie and you will still loose weight. Well that might be true but if I wanted to reduce my waist size and actually be healthy I had to drastically change my eating habits. I really didnt know how to do that so I ate everything in moderation. Problem with that is my body always craved more junk. I'm now doing Jaime Easons program and eating clean 6 times a day no junk. I will let you know how it goes

Please let me know how that program works out......Usually people who swear by "a calorie is a calorie" are satisfyed with just loosing pounds and not their overall health or sculpting the body.
  • pattan59801
    pattan59801 Posts: 142
    Options
    bumping
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Calories ---> Bodyweight
    Macronutrients ---> Body composition
    Micronutrients ---> Health

I'm generalizing.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Calories ---> Bodyweight

I'm generalizing.

This.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Please let me know how that program works out......Usually people who swear by "a calorie is a calorie" are satisfyed with just loosing pounds and not their overall health or sculpting the body.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! To each their own :)
    Maybe they'll change their minds after a while.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options

I am quoting this elsewhere....
    Lovely.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    bump
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    PEOPLE!! PLEASE teach me what a macronutrient is and how i can eat the right amount of low carb/high protein diet so i can get those illusive abs everyone feigns over!!! really, i am all ears!
  • Amberchalon
    Amberchalon Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I agree-- 150 calories worth or oreo cookies isn't the same as say a bowl of fruit that is 150 calories. I'm glad that you're sharing your thoughts-- I find it truly amazing when someone says something and people start attacking them!
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Thats funny that you posted this as I was thinking the exact same thing today.........you can most definitely stay within your calories, but are they healthy choices? Are they loaded with fat, sugar and salt? I have a very big problem in that area. Thanks for posting:bigsmile:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    PEOPLE!! PLEASE teach me what a macronutrient is and how i can eat the right amount of low carb/high protein diet so i can get those illusive abs everyone feigns over!!! really, i am all ears!

Macros = protein, fats and carbs

Shoot for a minimum of 1g of pro per lb of lbm, .35g of fat per lb of bw and fill in the rest of the cals how you please. Maintain a caloric deficit and profit
  • egdanger1
    Options
    Calories ---> Bodyweight

I'm generalizing.

I like this!!!
  • egdanger1
    Options

Thank you for sharing the article. I will make sure to read it tomorrow.
  • egdanger1
    Options

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! To each their own :)
    Maybe they'll change their minds after a while.
    You are absolutely right. Everyone has an individual goal.
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    very well said. I was trying to explain this to my friend...when she started on a "diet" and I told her that the orange was worth more than...say a cake pop. And she said that she felt like she was wasting her calories on the orange. 0_o

:sigh:
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Great post!