I know yall have heard it a thousand times already.....

Options
Sorry...I know that the boards get inunduated with the same ole same ole, but seriously beyond frustrated. I can't get out of the 170s and if I have to get stuck in a decade I'd rather be in the 50s-60s, both weight wise and time period. Just kidding, but not about the frustrated on the weight loss part. I opened my diary to public view and willing to take input. I've tried the eat less, eat more, eat exercise calories, eat half exercise calories, don't eat exercise calories. I know that it comes down to a simple of out versus in, but I really do think I'm on the right track. I am 5'7, run 3 times per week minimum of 3 miles, cycle at least twice per week. I have a desk job so I listed my activity level as sedentary but when I'm not at work...I never sit down at home except for dinner. Or to check mfp..haha. I do either body resistance exercises or p90x 2-3 times per week. I don't always list those as part of my calorie burn because truly it feels silly to put on the hrm for every single active thing I do. Im willing to change that though if yall feel its neccessary. I drink a lot of water I also live in Florida where it can get really humid and I have really bad allergies and take meds for it so I think I require more water than most. I believe that most of my diary entries are rather exact my hubby and I share cooking duties so when he makes dinner I know he doesn't measure so I can't say if that is exact..so I like to not eat back all of my exercise calories as a bit of wiggle room...obviously though not doing something right. I know we've all heard it at least 8 trillion times and I also know that it comes down to inches and not the scale but lets be honest....173 for 5'7 isn't really where most of us want to be. I don't have my exact body fat percentage but I had it tested a couple of weeks ago with one of those electric impulse sensor thingamajiggies at it had me at 31% Okay now that I've laid it all on the line I feel like there isn't anything else to say except what bra size I wear and I don't see how thats relevant so...anywhos...please help.

Replies

• Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Just browsing through the last couple weeks of your diary, I would first suspect you're not eating enough. It typically seems to be around 1700 calories eating with 700 calories burned. Going back further and spot checking (since I don't want to look at every single day), there are days where you would eat 1100 calories and burn 800.

My suspicion is a compromised metabolism or overestimating calories burned. Leaning toward the former, since the latter would actually be beneficial in this case given your diary numbers.

Edit: After doing some more spot checking (though again, not looking at every single day), I haven't seen any instance of you eating enough. You mentioned you've tried to "eat less, eat more, eat exercise calories, eat half exercise calories, don't eat exercise calories", but you've got to give it at least more than a couple days for any given attempt. Several weeks are necessary for your body to respond to any sort of change. I only looked at every couple weeks, but all I saw was "Eating way too little" and "Eating too little."
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I was definitely eating way too little. I wasn't at first and then I think I started getting the whole you shouldn't eat back your exercise calories advice so I curtailed that and my training suffered for it but then I upped my calorie burn. I use a polar ft4 for my burn so I think its rather accurate. I would be happy to try eating more. I've read that if I do that I need to be prepared to see a bit of an increase while my body readjusts...any suggestions as to how long before I see results and the scale goes back down. Do you suggest at the very least trying to net 1200?
  • christinehetz80
    Options
    I apologize you said several weeks. I saw that now...also you cracked me up with the eating way too little and eating too little comment. I have to be honest I saw my best results when I first cut back eating my exercise calories back in latter Dec but it did get frustrating with the lack of energy and being hungry all the time so I gave that up.
  • seapard
    seapard Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I still haven't figured out what I need to eat specifically in order for my body to lose, but in a last ditch effort of frustration I started calculating what I was eating with MFP and converted it all to Weight Watchers points by way of Ultimate Weight Watchers Diary on my Droid.

I'm finally losing!

I've been eating tons more fruits & veggies as freebies since fats & carbs carry more "points."

It's not the greatest solution -- I haven't been able to track down what I need to do to lose weight & stay healthy -- but it's working for now.
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Besides eating more, which I found out I had to do to lose weight. The last time i lost a bunch of weight I plateaued at 165 and the only way to break through it was to change up my exercise routine. It kills me how quickly our bodies will adjust to a weekly exercise routine. If you're been running and cycling and all of that for awhile your body might be going "eh, nothing new." I haven't plateaued yet this time around (it's also taking forever to lose weight) but when I do I'm not looking forward to adding sprints to my runs and trying to find new muscles to make sore.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but I wonder with all the exercise and activity you have going on that you probably need more calories to sustain your energy level. Maybe try eating the bulk of your calories before dinner. I am still in the experimental stages of my weight loss to. I weigh 169 and I'm only 5 ft 3! I have been stuck at the 170's for about 3 weeks now and am getting frustrated. Good luck pass on anything if you figure it out.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Wow- we are the same measurements... well we are both 5'7 and I was 172 at my heaviest the beginning of this year, but now I'm at 165. I am going to IM you will details but basically I think you should be aiming to eat 1200 calories per day, high protein, lower carb. Thats what helped me break my barrier.
  • scubachick2287
    Options
    I was stuck in the 170's last year and I also live in Florida btw. I had to increase my calorie intake from 800 to 1800 and exercise OUTSIDE. I take a Zyrtec every morning and bike to work. The humidity made me sweat off 12lbs the first 2 weeks and brought me out of the 170's. I will never pay for another gym membership (just yoga) because I burn more (and feels good) if I work out outside. The summer can be brutal but I learned to embrace the heat. My attitude.."It's hot, SO WHAT?"
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    We are similar, I don't know how old you are but I'm 35 and 5'6" and I started at 186 and I'm down in the 160s, with my goal being 150ish.

I agree with everyone else. I have my best results when I keep my net intake right around 1200-1300 and work in at least a 500 calorie deficit. Meaning eating about 1600 to 1700, working out 400-500 worth.

This is the first time ANY weight loss has worked for me and really the key for me has been super basic...I work out daily (generally 1 rest day a week) and I eat low fat/low carb/high protein. I think a lot about my food in terms of how it's going to fuel me for the day or how it's going to help me recover from work outs. I take classes and do a fairly even mix of cardio and weights and I also run 3-4 times week.

I would agree with everyone else........don't go under 1200 net every day, and stick with something long term. I'm over 20lbs lost so far and it's been just over 2 months. In the middle of that I kind of hit a wall and got stuck for a while before finally pushing down to the 160's.

Good luck!

oh and one thing you mention is that you aren't logging everything. get obsessive and log EVERYTHING. I think that might also shed some light on stuff for you. :)
  • christinehetz80
    Options
    I was stuck in the 170's last year and I also live in Florida btw. I had to increase my calorie intake from 800 to 1800 and exercise OUTSIDE. I take a Zyrtec every morning and bike to work. The humidity made me sweat off 12lbs the first 2 weeks and brought me out of the 170's. I will never pay for another gym membership (just yoga) because I burn more (and feels good) if I work out outside. The summer can be brutal but I learned to embrace the heat. My attitude.."It's hot, SO WHAT?"

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!! I lost more in the first couple of months (and it was winter) of exercising outside than I EVER did when I would go to the gym. Its florida...exercising outside it what its really all about!!!!!!!! I also pay for yoga when I want to go to a class and am gonna take up swimming come May already signed up for the classes (right now I flounder and tread water barely) so that I can start working towards a tri.
  • christinehetz80
    Options
    We are similar, I don't know how old you are but I'm 35 and 5'6" and I started at 186 and I'm down in the 160s, with my goal being 150ish.

I agree with everyone else. I have my best results when I keep my net intake right around 1200-1300 and work in at least a 500 calorie deficit. Meaning eating about 1600 to 1700, working out 400-500 worth.

This is the first time ANY weight loss has worked for me and really the key for me has been super basic...I work out daily (generally 1 rest day a week) and I eat low fat/low carb/high protein. I think a lot about my food in terms of how it's going to fuel me for the day or how it's going to help me recover from work outs. I take classes and do a fairly even mix of cardio and weights and I also run 3-4 times week.

I would agree with everyone else........don't go under 1200 net every day, and stick with something long term. I'm over 20lbs lost so far and it's been just over 2 months. In the middle of that I kind of hit a wall and got stuck for a while before finally pushing down to the 160's.

Good luck!

oh and one thing you mention is that you aren't logging everything. get obsessive and log EVERYTHING. I think that might also shed some light on stuff for you. :)

LOVE your advice!!!! I agree I do need to step it up on the logging everything including the exercise and making the hubby be a more reliable when he says a lil bit of EVOO...meaning what exactly?

THANKS EVERYONE! Tons of great advice. I know I have to tweak some things because I really want to push out of the 170s and keep going.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    One comment I will make is that you're not sedentary. Try lightly active or active.

For reference, I sit at a desk at work, and sit on my *kitten* at home. Working out is the only active thing I do; yet I need to set MFP to "Active" to make the numbers work out.

Not sure if this is the crux of your issue, but it's something to be aware of.
  • christinehetz80
    Options
    One comment I will make is that you're not sedentary. Try lightly active or active.

For reference, I sit at a desk at work, and sit on my *kitten* at home. Working out is the only active thing I do; yet I need to set MFP to "Active" to make the numbers work out.

Not sure if this is the crux of your issue, but it's something to be aware of.

I have been toying with this as being part of an issue for a while too!!!! I was thinking that there is no way I can be considered sedentary and I always appreciate your advice. I follow a lot of what you have to say on the boards and any input is appreciated. Thanks!
  • commotionstrange
    commotionstrange Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    funny, we've had a pretty similar situation :)

I lost aobut 25-30 lbs and got stuck for about a 1 month or so at 168. What I found actually helped was pretty scary...expecially if you have a time line you want to stick to, but it's worked for me since then, and for friends of mine as well.

Take a few weeks off!! I actually stopped dieting completely for a few weeks...didn't go crazy or anything, but just lived on maintenance and acted like I was already at the perfect wieght. I worked out when I could (like I would once I reached my goal), but I didn't kill myself to get out 5-6 days a week. I would have high calorie days and lower calorie days, but I just relaxed the diet completely.

When I went back to the diet full force (I eat 1500 calories a day, and aim to burn another 1500+ a week), the weight just fell off. I know it's another version of 'eat more', but I think it was good for me to just feel a little more relaxed about it and get a taste for what it would feel like to do this for the rest of my life when I'm on maintenance.

One other thing, I find a lot of people get really bogged down in the numbers on MFP and eating back exercise calories stresses them out etc...but I find just using it as a food and exercise diary and manually setting what you want your general goal to be (in my case 1500 a day based on my BMR and wanting a 500 calorie defecit) can be much easier. When I let it set my goals for me, I found I was eating too little and I was tired all the time. Just a suggestion :)

Good luck!
  • christinehetz80
    Options

I lost aobut 25-30 lbs and got stuck for about a 1 month or so at 168. What I found actually helped was pretty scary...expecially if you have a time line you want to stick to, but it's worked for me since then, and for friends of mine as well.

Take a few weeks off!! I actually stopped dieting completely for a few weeks...didn't go crazy or anything, but just lived on maintenance and acted like I was already at the perfect wieght. I worked out when I could (like I would once I reached my goal), but I didn't kill myself to get out 5-6 days a week. I would have high calorie days and lower calorie days, but I just relaxed the diet completely.

When I went back to the diet full force (I eat 1500 calories a day, and aim to burn another 1500+ a week), the weight just fell off. I know it's another version of 'eat more', but I think it was good for me to just feel a little more relaxed about it and get a taste for what it would feel like to do this for the rest of my life when I'm on maintenance.

One other thing, I find a lot of people get really bogged down in the numbers on MFP and eating back exercise calories stresses them out etc...but I find just using it as a food and exercise diary and manually setting what you want your general goal to be (in my case 1500 a day based on my BMR and wanting a 500 calorie defecit) can be much easier. When I let it set my goals for me, I found I was eating too little and I was tired all the time. Just a suggestion :)

Good luck!

INteresting...I can't give up my running or cycling. I am training for a 10k and then a half and need to keep up the cardio endurance. However, I am going on vacation the first week of April maybe I would consider laxing a bit at that point to see if it helps when I get back.
  • commotionstrange
    commotionstrange Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Good luck!

INteresting...I can't give up my running or cycling. I am training for a 10k and then a half and need to keep up the cardio endurance. However, I am going on vacation the first week of April maybe I would consider laxing a bit at that point to see if it helps when I get back.

Vacation helped me to relax a bit too...I ate reasonably, but didn't stress about what I ordered or how many drinks I had :P Good luck training for the 10k!
  • christinehetz80
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!!
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add to this, didn't read all the responses but.....

I am 5'7", started at 182, and just hit 149 this week. I've never eaten at 1200 net the entire time during my journey. When I was in the 170s, I was eating between 1500-1600 NET (eating back exercise calories, because I work out most days and goshdarnit, I'm hungry for those calories!).

When I hit a plateau at about 160, I upped to maintenance for two weeks. I got to eat a bit more, I gained a couple pounds early on but expected that so didn't freak out, lost them quickly, and actually lost two pounds while eating at 'maintenance' level. Then I went back down to a MODEST deficit and went back to losing.

Don't set yourself to 2 lbs per week goal (not sure if that's where you're at or not, but if you are....you don't have enough weight to lose to pull that off.) Go for 1 lb and consider switching to 1/2 lb around 160.