Smoothie with Protein Question

Options
radosti1
radosti1 Posts: 198 Member
I like to add protein powder to my smoothies. The whole blender might have 400 cals in it, which is fine for breakfast. However, the moment the protein powder is added, the whole thing becomes whipped and expands to enormous proportions. It ends up making 4 large glasses of smoothie. There is no way I can drink all that. Even with the kids helping, I simply run out of room. The whipped smoothie is delicious, but I don't eat everything and am starving 2 hrs later. However, it does not store well, and in 2 hrs I am usually not home to go back to it anyway. I use the Eat Good Look Great Vanilla Protein Powder. Is this something they all do?

Today's smoothie:
-1 medium banana
-1/4 cup blueberries
-1 cup strawberries
-1/2 cup skim milk
-1 scoop protein powder
-1.5 cups spinach
- cinnamon

I am stuffed, my 2 year old has made a valiant effort as well. And there's still half a blender full. Makes me feel like I am wasting food, since the 200 cals I actually ate is definitely not enough to keep me going for a while.

Replies

• susie2894
    Options
    I use the whey protein and yes that "expands" as well. You will just have to cut down the portions of fruit that you use until you find the perfect portion. Good Luck!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I say cut the protein powder in half - use half a scoop, add collard greens as well and some ice, get a couple of those thermal "to go" cups and drink it through a straw during your morning. This might work for you.

I made a fruit smoothie the other day with:

3 cups water
    200 g collard greens
    200 g frozen strawberries
    200 g frozen blueberries
    140 g frozen raspberries

I had to pour it into my glass (big 32 ounce coca-cola style glass) more than 1 time and I stuck a straw in it and sipped it from the time I started putting my lunch (dinner for work) together and through drying my hair and applying makeup and even after I brushed my teeth for the "walking out the door" time, I still had almost half a glass left... I was going to move it to a "take along" cup but I finished it off before I went out the door. That kept me going for at least 3 hours - not full but comfortable and sated.

Also, you could try the cottage cheese chocolate milkshake that was posted here - if you add the PB2 to it you get a little more protein and some peanut butter flavor shines through as well.

Otherwise, try freezing the leftovers of the smoothie and re-blending it the next morning. Then, to offset the hunger you find yourself in after 2 hours or so with the protein "brownie", which is highly portable, or a greek yogurt with fresh fruit.