PLEASE Throw out the scale!!

Options
kbmnurse
kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
Please throw out your scale. The number will drive you absolutely crazy. Why not go by how your clothes fit and how you feel physically and mentally. I was so obsessed with that dam # I started unhealthy exercise and eating habits. Just for a # I wanted to see. Once I got rid of the scale and focused on what was important I started to see healthy results.

Now I go by my clothes and how I feel. Been doing the 30DS and feel positively wonderful. Leaner and stronger. Starting level 2 today. Can't wait.

Be brave THROW IT OUT.

Replies

• titchymummy84
    Options
    Hi. I totally agree has I was getting obsessed with mine. I was getting on mine at least twice a day and it was doing me no good xx
  • Roxie861
    Roxie861 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am beginning to agree with this big time. I was kinda of a serial weigher throughout the week but it fluctuates too much and would then set my mood for the rest of the day.

Now I am going to start going by my clothes...I can already feel like my 2 sessions of C25K are beginning to work.

Slowly but surelu we will get there :smile:
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I agree, Scale is just one process I use to measure progress. My first Scale is the mirror it dont lie!
  • Kassieisproud
    Options
    I agree maybe someone doesnt have to throw their scale out but weighing yourself less often is much healthier
  • loyemarie
    loyemarie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It seems insane that that number on the scale sets the tone for the whole day for me. If I see what I like, the world's a wonderful place. If I don't (especially if I think I don't DESERVE that number...) then I try to talk some sense into myself, but ultimately fall "off the wagon", and the cycle starts again :-(
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    PLEASE Do things your own way instead of somebody elses!

I weigh myself daily and have for a long time, and will for a long time. 1) "daily fluctuations" always happen for a reason, whether it be eating later, more sodium, or what have you. I like to see what things affect my body in certain ways. 2) I love seeing the number going down. The mirror isn't as kind as the scales most of the time when you're still significantly overweight.
  • titchymummy84
    Options
    I was the same, if I'd lost weight I'd be in a great mood all day but then if it went up again day after I'd be punishing myself or just gorge myself with unhealthy food lol.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Also, BE BRAVE weigh yourself and man up to the number! You earned it, good or bad.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I like the scale. It keeps me motivated 1lb at a time, whereas it's harder for me to notice a difference in myself because I see me everyday.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Just adding pictures to support, scale weight is not always the best indicater of actual fat loss, and body composition changes.
    here is a post I made on this a while back:
    Heres some pictures that may help you.
    My results have been similar, I am 10-15 pounds heavier then my "rough goal weight" but am already AT my goal clothing size, and physically I am about 1-2 times smaller clothing wise, then last time I was at my goal weight (when I had less muscle) - So I look tighter leaner and smaller, then before at my "small" weight. (size 7/8)
    So to everyone else I look like I am already at my goal weight. But I am scale weight heavier, which is fine :) Ignore the scale.
    Less weight - yep you will look good dressed and may fit the smaller clothing size - but, add more muscle and a bit more scale weight - you also fit the smaller clothing size, AND look good dressed AND look good nakkid. Thats a win-win :)

Take inch measurements every 30 days from a variety of areas. Not all areas will lose at the same rate, but that's normal. And it does all eventually "catch-up". For me I often lose inches and no pounds for a few weeks, even a month or more - then Boom - one day I lose 5 pounds. (actually I have been losing it, it just "shows" all a once) And weight normally WILL fluctuate up and down many times through a day AND many times in the same week, or months. Thats normal - look at the AVERAGE over 30 days.

5 lbs heavier in after pic, but tighter and leaner
    236227942924235826_gkkV70hE_f.jpg

Not same girl, but cute example
    283304632779084974_6m2KFBn5_f.jpg

Same weight, after was when she started lifting heavy
    75153887501416986_Y1GnYQpg_f.jpg

Different girls but both size 4
    Size4Comparison-300x182.png

Same girl, before and after lifting heavy weights, she lost 5 lbs
    tumblr_lr5tonlb3A1qgyxugo1_500.jpg

Stacy, read her story here: She is 14 lbs heavier in after
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    160933386653933440_XDkHzL9R_f.jpg

10 lbs heavier in after
    160933386653912536_Q9O5CANq_f.jpg

10 lbs heavier in after
    160933386653912535_fBi9urCv_f.jpg

Different girl, but both size 2
    size2.jpg?w=288&h=223

5 pounds difference - big body change
    216243219577967315_E53yF3Co_f.jpg

Fat vs Muscle
    160933386654082592_NvIGFFZy_f.jpg
    191473421627428288_b8i1XCl4_c.jpg
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Eyes are the best scale because they don't lie. Scale is good to be used once in a while just to be accountable. If you use it, don't use it more frequently than once a week or two weeks.
  • tina01tn
    tina01tn Posts: 12
    Options
    I try to stay off of the scales until I notice a significant difference in the way my clothes feel. I am only weighing in every 2 weeks om MFP.
  • mysticwonder
    Options
    I was weighing myself once a week for the first 2 months. I'm on month 3 and upped my calories so last week I weighed in twice to make sure I was doing the right thing and I was. I wouldn't weigh in every single day. That WILL drive one mad crazy. Once I get into the swing of my new shifts, I will weigh in every 2 weeks.

The scale isn't bad, it's the mentality that goes along with it, whatever yours may be. If you can practice self control with food, you can do it with the scale as well. Just my opinion.
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting those photos Tangal88, that's a great reminder that the number on the scale doesn't always tell wha'ts going on with your body. I get frustrated not seeing the numbers go down much, but then I see my clothes start fitting looser and more muscle tone and realize I am still losing :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I like my scale. I weight myself daily out of habit and I don't have a problem or any sort of obsession with it. It sort of fascinates me to see how the numbers change or don't change from day to day. My main focus is how my clothes fit and the changes I see in the mirror, and I check those things daily too, but I will continue to step on my scale every day as well. :smile:
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've finally come to not worry about what the scale says. I care more about the inches that I'm losing and how I'm feeling! Everyone needs to keep doing what motivates them though!
  • JoHo57
    JoHo57 Posts: 31
    Options
    I love my measuring tape!
  • liverleef
    Options
    I agree, the scale fluctuates way too much. I weigh myself too often, sometimes daily. One day it might show that Ive gained .3 of pound. Then Im wondering what I did wrong. That could be water or whatever.
  • lisasdoinit
    lisasdoinit Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    how freaky is this?
    i just blogged about putting away my scale around the same time you posted this!

thanks for the shot in the arm that i'm doing the right thing!!
    xo
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have been doing weight training and I don't care what the scale says. I see so many body changes and realize that the fat weighs less than muscle. So many women (using females because I am one) get frustrated with the scale. The scale isn't important. How you feel, how you look and what you put into your mouth is what is important. I really love weight strength training. I love this thread and thank you for posting this. I feel so good about myself that a scale is the least important thing to me. :love:

12908857.png