More females than males in MFP? Could it be?

Options
Mr_Cape219
Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
So, my girlfriend has said that calorie counting, fitness logging, and just general good eating habits online is a habit suited for women. Saying that -usually- men don't focus so much on things like this. We had a light playful debate, but I am still not able to convince her that calorie counting stuff is unisex and not just for females. I dont think that I am wrong, because watching what youre eating and focusing on making your body healthier is something everyone can benifit from. So I am really looking for all the guys on MFP, whether watching what youre eating to loose weight, maintaining weight, or building muscle, to stand up and show her that its not just a girl thing.

If I am wrong, I guess I am just gonna have to get myself a beer and burger and watch football or something of that nature until I get heart disease...

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Why did she say it was suited just for women?
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I think its for both! There are just as many men on here focusing on weight loss as there are women..

I say its for anyone interested. She just may see more women posting about their progress because women tend to feed off that attention (yes i am a woman and said that).

LOL i say you win this battle but let her win the WAR.
  • WehttamThims
    WehttamThims Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It could because there are more overweight women then men. On MFP forums it's probably 80% - 90% women.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Tell her to make you a sammich and bring you a beer. :drinker:
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    There are more women here (on the forums/community.) I can't speak for how many just use the app though because I have a few guy friends that do that.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    well, since weight itself dont discriminate, I dont think we, as species should be discriminating the weight-loss methods based on gender either. However, I have noticed that there are far more females than males on MFP. Heck my friends list is about 2/3 females...
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I know she won't like hearing this but she's wrong. There are more women on here than men but a lot of men still care about eating right. Or at least eating better.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    although my hubby (dadsinfitnessplan) doesn't use these topics he logs every night his meals and exercise ... not only for women :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Tell her you are secure in your masculinity and you don't care if it's for girls. Bonus points if you say this while wearing a pink angora sweater.
  • RyePod
    RyePod Posts: 8
    Options
    I don't think that is the case at all,

To make a huge generalisation: Men are just less vocal about their health concerns. Women, in my experience as a woman, love to chat about every little detail to do with their body and losing weight/gaining weight/recipes/clothing/inches/fad diets/calories/water intake while in my experience men take more of a lone wolf approach to weight management or if not they seem to discuss the more physical aspects like form and weight training.

Overall though I think all humans are capable of taking an interest in their personal health and well being regardless of sex.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    Women are chattier.....the men like to watch. That's my take on the forums, anyway.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    It is a stereotype thing, women diet men workout. If a woman stated she was exercising it meant she put on spandex and fuzzy leg warmers and was in the living room sweating to Jane or on a Nordic track. Guys just do not want to admit that they are dieting, Hell yhea I benched 375 and did 120 20# are curls, but watching my calories are you crazy pass the beer and nachos. Secretly over the years we have learned that if we want healthier lives we have to watch what we are putting into ourselves.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Tell her to make you a sammich and bring you a beer. :drinker:

The correct response for most situations.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    definitely seems to be more females, but I see plenty of men on here, including me. feel free to add if you would like, i am on every day to track my calories and exercise.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty obvious there are more women here than men... I'd say it's at least 3-1 if not 4-1 in ratio. 75-80%.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options
    Haha these are all great responses!

The trick here is how do I rub it in her face? Delecately or Deliberately?

I get the gyst (is that right?) of what everyone is saying. And females are more vocal, which gives the illusion of more females on MFP, and since there is so much communication going on with the ladies, they are most likely the ones that will end up on your friend's list. I can count my male friends on one hand, where as the females are sending friend requests left and right. I have recieved more friend requests than sent, and most of those friend requests were from females.

So I guess they are just better at making themselves active on the boards, I browse the boards at work generally out of boredom and occasionally respond to something. So cmriverside has a point I think.

And I could use a sammich right about now, thanks for reminding me.
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I wanna see these Stats....
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options
    I wanna see these Stats....

which stats, and how do I show you?
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Do a search on Find Members, and search by Gender.

That will actually give you numbers.

Edited to note: You will actually have to do a bit of math, however. But you can estimate by how many pages of each gender there are.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    We guys don`t have a TOM so we have a lot less to talk about. :smile:

smiley-scared003.gif