How does seeing people more in-shape motivate you?

Options
If you're trying to lose weight, how does it motivate you to see someone with a flat stomach at the gym or just seeing your friends skinnier than you?
I'm trying to gain weight, so when I see someone with bigger muscles than me (I'm scrawny), I'm immediately competitive and set my goal to be bigger and/or more toned than them. I'm competitive. Sometimes I even get jealous and wonder why I can't get that big.

Replies

• teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, especially when I see older women in better shape than me. Keeps me motivated:)
  • EricDe90x
    EricDe90x Posts: 51
    Options
    bump?
  • mariacamera
    mariacamera Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It motivates me. In fact, last night I loaned a dress to a friend, and she looked SO MUCH better in it than I do! I thought, well, I CAN eventually look great in that dress, too.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I try to identify people who have a similar body type and it helps me to see what I might be able to achieve if I just keep working.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    makes me remember what I am working towards
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Recently I've been inspired by watching season after season of Biggest Loser. As hard as they work, I feel lazy not to try to keep up while its on.
  • skinnydream115
    Options
    Yess whenever I don't feel like working out or I want to go binge or something I have a whole file on my laptop of fitness/inspirational quotes and pictures and I look thorough them and think If I want to look like that I need to make the right choices.. there is always a choice and its up to me to do it!

only bad thing is dont let your friends borrow your computer or they begin to wonder why you have so many pictures of attractive women on your laptop lol. and A girl with abs as your desktop background hahaha !
  • scottstephens79
    scottstephens79 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm a little older I don't get quite as competitive/jealous when I see others with a better physique then mine. I know that my body has some inherent limits and that trying to push past those limits is equal parts painful and foolish. If you have a clean bill of health then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't push yourself that extra rep/set; treat your body well and it will pay off.
    Just my two cents.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Seeing other people in shape does not motivate me, seeing changes to my body motivates me.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    It doesn't motivate me at all. What motivates me most is seeing very heavy people. I realize how easy it is to get heavy and I don't ever want to be heavy again.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    No seeing in shape people actually does nothing for me,I dont know why
  • EricDe90x
    EricDe90x Posts: 51
    Options
    Recently I've been inspired by watching season after season of Biggest Loser. As hard as they work, I feel lazy not to try to keep up while its on.
    Yes! I remember when I was training to get in better shape for cross country, I was on the treadmill watching the biggest loser and I got some sort of motivation to try harder to get in shape. I got to lose a little belly fat and strengthen my arms and legs a little. I didn't really gain much muscle though.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Seeing women that I'd like to sleep with is very motivating.
  • cbenzerga
    cbenzerga Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda the same way, I'm on Pinterest, and I save all the workout photos for inspiration.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I like the opposite, when I feel fat I look around my metropolous and say "things could be worse, now go do it (workout/Insanity) because I don't want to become that".
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I recently posted about running into a friend I hadn't seen in a long time. She used to be a little chubby, and now she is svelte. It got me off my butt.