Greek or Regular Yogurt?

Options
Ok, all the hype about Greek Yogurt. I need to understand! What is the difference, more so, why Greek yogurt over reg. organic yogurt? I'm looking for the health benefits. THANKS FOR YOUR CLARIFICATION AND HELP IN ADVANCE! :wink:

Replies

• wpuymac
    wpuymac Posts: 3
    Options
    My wife and I started eating Greek yogurt because it was recommended. What I did was compare the labels and I found that Greek yogurt was much higher in protein per calorie, which I really need while trying to lose weight (fat) and exercise, without getting a lot of calories from carbs.

And once I looked at that, I actually tried to figure out the value per dollar, and we've found that the amount of protein is worth the extra money for the Greek yogurt.

Also, my wife likes a lot of the different flavors, but I just eat it plain and add fresh fruit or flax seeds (or ground flax seeds).
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yes about the protein. Also, Greek yogurt has helpful bacteria, like L.casei and Acidophilus. These bacterias working together help cure/prevent certain infections.
  • mollyjackson82
    Options
    more protein!!!
  • momma23ts
    Options
    Great explaination! THANK YOU for your help! I appreciate your input!
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the protein and the fact that there are only two ingredients in mine; I like to know what I'm eating. (As a vegetarian, it's also important to me that Greek yoghurt doesn't have gelatin in it.)
  • momof3boys090808
    momof3boys090808 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I wish I like Greek yogurt but can't bring myself to eat it again. Ha! I eat the fiber one yogurt.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is thicker and tangier. It is strained to remove a lot of its whey, sugar and lactose. It generally has less sugar and more protein. I like both but have been sticking with regular yogurt because it is higher in calcium, which for me is harder to get in my diet than protein. Both yogurts have healthy bacteria.
  • elizabethyork13
    elizabethyork13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hate yogurt! But everyone I work with was really liking the dannon brand greetk yogurt so i tried it (the fat free) and added 1 cup of kashi go lean crunch for breakfast and it was sooo good. I think total its about 8 grams of fiber 24 grams of protein and 320 calories.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt almost always has more protein than regular yogurt and only a little bit more calories. I personally prefer Chobani and it has 14g protein in a serving and about 120-140 calories for the flavored kinds (the plain ones are a bit higher in protein and around 80 calories). Dannon and Yoplait are around 100 calories, but only have 3-4g protein. All of the flavored yogurts (both kinds) are pretty high in sugar.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the plain greek yogurt, which by itself is too plain, and adding a half serving of vanilla protein powder and some fresh blueberries. That keeps the carbs down and protein up. I'm not actually low carb I just prefer to get carbs elsewhere. The dannon oikos plain greek yogurt is only 80 cals. With protein powder and blueberries it's 180 cal total, 28 grams of protein, 15 grams of carbs, 1 gram of fat. Doctored up as I do it and it's yum and healthy!
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    greek tends to be better in the protein. im a normal yoghurt eater, im a big fan of weight watchers toffee yoghurts. they're nice. im fairly slim and healthy but i need to improve on the quality of things i put in my body so i might switch to this greek stuff :)
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I just love the protein and taste of Greek yogurt :)
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    I wish I like Greek yogurt but can't bring myself to eat it again. Ha! I eat the fiber one yogurt.

i hate straight up greek yogurt too...BUT there are frozen yogurt by Yasso I think it's called. it's TERRIFIC!
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    My all time favorite is Oikos Vanilla greek yogurt. Soooo good.
  • TwtyMami35
    Options
    As everyone has mentioned, the difference lies in the amount of protein, however taste plays a big part too! Greek yogurt is thicker. You really have to give it a chance. It depends on your taste buds as to which tastes better (plain, peach, strawberry, etc). I tried many favors before I found that one. I like Chobani (a bit expensive) and Yoplait w/granola (higher calories-200).

Greek yogurt has fewer carbohydrates and half the sodium than regular yogurt. You can also swap out eggs and oil in baked goods for Greek yogurt.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    My all time favorite is Oikos Vanilla greek yogurt. Soooo good.

I've seen the Oikos but haven't tried it yet, I keep going to the President's Choice offering, I should pick up some Oikos tomorrow.
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Greek! It has more protein and keeps me fuller for longer. It's also thicker and creamier. I love regular yogurt too, but I've been obsessed with the Fage lately. I've tried Oikos, Chobani and Fage. Fage is by far my favourite, it's much richer than the other two.
  • Kaelabaela
    Options
    I put greek yogurt into my smoothies with a little bit of orange juice or coconut milk and frozen fruit.
    Quick and easy way to get it in and I can use the low cal plain one without having to battle the weird taste!
  • 1_Slick_Chick
    1_Slick_Chick Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of Fage Plain Greek Yogurt (Costco) mixed with 1 TBSP of Apple Butter and Splenda to taste...Yummy!! and lower in calories than the flavored kinds. I actually mix this right into my Oatmeal :bigsmile: Super Yummy IMHO!!
  • TheNewLeslie
    TheNewLeslie Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Fage Total 0. It's fat free and pretty tasty - with only 2 ingredients - which rocks. I add a little jam or honey or sweetener for breakfast. Also, because it's so thick, you can use it in place of sour cream. It is pretty versitile stuff.

And yeah - the high-protein-no-fat thing doesn't suck either.