Gallbladder Surgery

Options

Replies

• becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in 2002 and aside from if I eat foods that are too fatty or greasy I get sick, but the pain is gone now, thankfully
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I just had mine removed. The only problem I've had was I get nauseated if the fat content in my food is too high. I find that a vegetarian diet sits better. Other than that I've been fine. I also lost about 6 lbs since the surgery
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    When I was 26, I went on a very low fat/ low calorie diet and consequently lost my gall bladder. (I rapidly lost 30 lbs in one month and my doctor gave me holy hell for it)
    Eating eggs caused severe gallbladder attacks before I had it removed.

That was almost 26 years ago and I've never had symptoms since no matter how crappy I've eaten.
  • llangkilde
    llangkilde Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had Mine removed Last June.. And Havnt had any Issues Since..
    The Procedure was very Straight Forward, And I believe its a lot better than having it removed after you have an Infection. (the Diffrence is between 4 small scars and a Huge Scar..
    I def. have not regretted getting this done, I had 3 Major attacks (with a month between them) prior to getting the galbladder removed. And thats not an Experience I wish to relive..

With that said, My Understanding is that the Glablader stones could get created in the Liver, after the Galbladder is removed, if you choose to Eate the same Crap as before you had the Galbladder removed.. So a Change of Lide Style is Still needed after the Removal..

Also, Prior to my surgery, I did a lot of Reasearch (Primarely Google), and Some of the Horror Stories out there really Freaked Me out prior to My Surgery.. :)
    But as said, The Surgery is Not a Decision I have regretted. (just make sure you dont Believe the Stories saying you can go back to work after a Couple of Days.. I Didnt go back for a Week.. (Milk it for what its Worth.. :) )
  • anarose13
    anarose13 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    i had mine removed at the beginning of last year. it was an emergency surgery, mine was on the verge of bursting. its really not a big deal, the recovery period isnt that bad and it doesn't stop me from eating different foods or drinking alcohol. i am actually healthier now then i was before. my dr said that after the surgery your body can act funny and you can get phantom pains up to a year or so after the surgery and that i can relate to. sometimes my side twinges if i eat different foods. like cheese burgers or anything that's high in fat. its not painful, just uncomfortable. there is a diet that i could stick to but right now i see no reason.
  • OriginalWhatTheHelen
    OriginalWhatTheHelen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder removed 12 years ago. To my surprise, I developed gallstones again 4 years ago and had to have another outpatient procedure to remove them.
  • llonka
    llonka Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder taken out when I was 17. Could only eat fresh veggies and those slimfast type shakes for a long time but finally got back to normal. Only thing that really bothers me now is really greasy or oily foods.

Good luck!
  • ohpretty
    ohpretty Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This is my post taken from a previous topic on the same matter (edited a bit):

"I had my gallbladder removed March two years ago. In order to talk about the diet I was on post-surgery, I feel the need to explain a little bit about what happened pre-surgery.

About a year before I had my surgery, I had my first "attack." I was still living with my mom (20 years old at the time, if that makes any kind of difference), and we had absolutely no idea what was going on. I can't remember what I ate, but it was the thing to set it off (as is the case most of the time). My ribs were hurting and after I calmed down a bit, it went away. Then the attacks started happening more frequently and we found out that it was because of the food I was eating and my gallbladder needed to be removed. Unfortunately for me, I didn't have insurance at the time.

So a year passed and things got worse. It started out with me cutting out dairy products (cheese was my worst nightmare), fatty junk foods such as pudding or greasy chips, fried foods, etc. As that year progressed, things got worse and worse. It got to the point I couldn't even eat lean meats or believe it or not, unseasoned/buttered vegetables. Drinking a glass of water would set me off. The hospital didn't want to take it out unless I had insurance, paid upfront, or set up a pre-paid payment plan (which would've taken longer). Finally, the very last attack I had I could not tolerate it anymore. Pain killers were not helping me and I was at the end of dealing with it. So my mom drove me out of town to a hospital known for it's donating services and I ended up getting the surgery needed. Ironically enough, the doctors were amazed it wasn't taken out sooner as I was at a very high risk of developing more serious health problems. "

Now? The only time I have any kind of problem is if I sit and eat a bunch of fried food. And I'm talking a huge amount. Otherwise, I'm just fine.
  • Kimharbath
    Options
    I had gallbladder surgery 17 years ago and two days later after the mild soreness went away, I felt better than I had in years.
  • fj211
    fj211 Posts: 95
    Options
    I think the reason they suggest removal is that you don't want to wind up in a situation where an obstruction ( stone) causes an infection. Then the situation becomes a whole lot more critical.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    bump for later , good post
  • OriginalWhatTheHelen
    OriginalWhatTheHelen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My diet was clean, by the way. Hardly ever any fried foods (my entire life), no foods that are typical of gall bladder disease. I was about 30 lbs. overweight the first time and very fit the second time.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I am one of the unlucky ones who still has attacks of abdominal pain following gallbladder removal. I had my gallbladder out 17 years ago, and I still have attacks of severe pain. I believe it may have something to do with bile reflux or other bile-related issues following the surgery. Severe cramping/diarrhea, especially immediately after eating (or even before you finish the meal) are also pretty common side effects to gallbladder surgery. There are medications that can dissolve the stones if you're not already at the critical point where it has to come out. I wish I had tried to save mine.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It's not an easy decision to make but on balance removal seems to be infinitetly preferable to some of the complications that can develop. In a family of 6, 5 of us have had problems with our gallbladders, both parents and 2 out of 3 siblings. I was the one with the complications. Both parents and both siblings have had no problems and followed a normal healthy diet with few limitations.
    Be advised by your medical team and take their advice. Do not put it off. It's much better to deal with the situation under controlled conditions than to be faced with a sudden emergency.
  • dwmorton
    dwmorton Posts: 1
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed about 3 years ago and my symptoms have completely gone. Also the heartburn I suffered daily for the previous 20 years. I haven't found any foods which I can't eat after I had it removed.

My surgeon told me that once you have had gallstones, there is a high chance of them returning. There's also a risk of stones escaping and blocking your liver or pancreas which can be life-threatening.

Keyhole surgery is relatively straightforward with little scarring and a short recovery time.
    Speak to your doctor for advice.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    As a previous poster said, sometimes you can still have problems afterwards if they fail to remove all of the stones. I had an emergency ERCP for a stone that was lodged in the common bile duct two years ago and was making me jaundiced (fun times!), and then they went ahead and removed the gallbladder since it was clearly throwing stones and was infected. I have had a few minor digestive issues since then, but nothing bad, certainly no pains that even compare to the gallbladder attacks.

All the liver does is manufacture the bile - if your surgeon makes sure to clear all of the ducts connecting the gallbladder to the liver and stomach then you shouldn't have recurring problems.

For the record, your gallbladder has to be pretty crazy infected for them to not be able to do the laparoscopic procedure - mine looked terrible (they showed me the picture afterwards - normal gallbladders are green ... mine was white) and they didn't have to do the big incision. If you don't have to have an emergency procedure like I did then you'll also be able to check out your surgeon ahead of time and make sure that they know you want the less invasive procedure.

Some other things that can throw off your gallbladder - changing your diet drastically, and doing anything that will cause the gallbladder to contract less often thereby allowing more stones to form (this includes eating very little, losing a lot of weight, and taking hormonal birth control since estrogen has the anti-contraction effect).
  • Dogwalker1989
    Options
    If you're questioning whether or not to have it out then the pains haven't got as bad as they could be.

It took a long time for me to get diagnosed because I'm youngish (21 at the time), then with NHS waiting lists etc, it took months for the operation. To the point where any fat was causing an attack and 3 trips in one week to A+E I ended up being rushed into surgery because of how inflamed and diseased my gallbladder had become and how low my liver function was.

If it's costs you're worried about surely it would cost more to be rushed in as an emergency and need open surgery, opposed to getting it done laproscopicly as an elective.

Is it worth waiting for it to get worse?

As for the after effects - my body cannot tolerate fat very well so I keep my intake low. It's not like before where fatty food would have me running to A+E, just uncomfortable enough effects in terms of bloating and diarrhea to have me think twice about getting takeaway, but I know lots of people that have little problems

I have also felt gallbladder pain a couple of times since I had it removed. Once it was very intense and and I was taken to hospital. Once it was explained to me that having your gallbladder out has been linked to codeine sensitivity/ allergy and can result in bile duct spasms for people who have had their gallbladder removed - giving phantom gallbladder pains. Since then I've not had any medicines with codeine in and I haven't been ill again.
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I had mine out nine months after my second child. I kept putting it off bc i was afraid to have an anesthetic. The day i had it out, the doctor said it was a good thing we did it bc it was about to rupture. I felt so much better after, like instantly. Don't put it off. Get it out. I didn't realize how sick i was until it was gone. Never looked back.
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out about 8 years ago. I didn't have gallstones. Mine just stopped functioning all together. I had major pain all of a sudden. I thought it was a hernia but was so wrong. I had surgery the following morning. They did it the new way Laparoscopic and only have a few tiny scars. I cant eat greasy foods now. But I don't want to anyway!

Good Luck to you!

12908857.png
  • Laurielronic
    Laurielronic Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed and have not had any more symptoms or problems. I had heard rumors from others of having to run to the bathroom after eating certain foods, but I have not encountered that problem.