Finding/adding friends, why so difficult?

Options
I seem to have a mental roadblock when it comes to adding friends on the web. Does anybody else have this problem?? I feel like I'm intruding when sending a request and offending if I don't send one. It's like a loose-loose situation for me. I have the same problem with FB, I only add people I personally know, which was very embarrassing when my own cousin send a request and I had to ask around the mutual friends, who he actually was...... :embarassed:
I'm actually quite friendly in real life, not shy to start a chat with anyone in a store or where ever, just can't figure out the problem with the internets...LOL. Maybe I'm just being over cautious. :smile:
I will add more friends and feel free to add me to your list. We are all here for the same reason after all, to motivate, encourage and loose those nasty pounds.

Replies

• Inittothinit68
    Inittothinit68 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've found since I've moved to the Uk I've gotten anti-social lol...why don't we team up so we can motivate each other??? I'm about 60lbs (ouch!!!!!!!) from goal so we can be buddies a long, long time lol
  • jrlja5
    jrlja5 Posts: 59
    Options
    Hi
    I'm the same way. I really don't use computer for much and I feel like I am not doing something right to find friends and receive replies. any advice? I hope this reaches youjavascript:add_smiley('smile','post_body')
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It seems reasonable to me. Of course I carry the "baggage" that someone I call a "friend" is more than just an acquaintance or "connection". For me it's much easier to invite and accept requests on sites where it's called a group, connection, link, or people you know. I want to know someone for awhile before I'm willing to call that person a friend. (There are other qualifications than just time.) And this is true whether it's someone I've met on line or walking down my street. Three year olds make instant friends and enemies... I think it takes getting to know someone first. Of course there are exceptions, but I'd say wanting to get to know someone before you call (or think of that person) as a friend is a sign of maturity.
  • Anmri2Win
    Anmri2Win Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You make a good point.
  • mekkzy888
    mekkzy888 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Haha I'm sort of the opposite - I want to add online friends, but I'm scared in case one of my real-life friends sees my profile on a website or something and they think I act like a total different person online!! I know I probably am very different online to when I actually talk to people and I don't have a problem with it, but people who really know me might think I'm a very "fake" person. I don't want them to think that, because I'm not. I just seem to have more confidence online, so I say what's on my mind more :)
  • marpeters
    marpeters Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit new to the whole social media thing....but would love to start a conversation with any of you...you all seem nice and people I might be able to relate to. I'm working off my last 7 or 8 pounds from a 70 pound loss so far. I'm committed to staying with MFP for support and accountability. I think tracking what you eat really works when you actually track what you eat :)!!

Add me and let's chat!
  • jessie1480
    jessie1480 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It's awkward for me to. I am supper social in real life but on line I'm a bit more reserved about friends and the subject of waight and body issues isn't something I want to talk to about with the world. I'm getting better and have like 3 whole friends on here now. They are supper supportive. If you want to be friends with a total stranger, I'm a nice one. Feel free to add me if you would like.
  • kiwipez
    kiwipez Posts: 144
    Options
    Feel free to friend me.
  • twiggysavage
    Options
    I used to add people when I was younger as friends online without a second thought. I made many friends, two of which I am still friends with although I have never met them! (one in Washington state the other in Austrailia!)

I would love to add any/all of you and get to know you! :)
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I work with the public and prefer not to "be found" by my students or their families, so I am also very, very wary of friending anyone or requesting new friends. This is the first social media site I have ever been on and I'm almost 40. LOL! ALL of my stuff is private...don't want to be on the front page of the newspaper!:noway: