when to stop eating for the day...

Options
Today I'm starting a new eating policy, which is: No eating 2 hours before bed. That's usually around 9:30 or 10pm for me, so 7:30 is my cut off tonight, and I plan on logging my food and exercise in at this time... but I'm freaking out. I've still got a very big appetite, and I don't know if I'm just setting myself up for failure. Is this healthy?

Replies

• jayne_mel
    jayne_mel Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Now I want peanut butter cups
  • skowalska
    skowalska Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water. the first few days was tough for me. if you absolutely have to have a few slices of cucumbers.

i noticed results very soon after i stopped eating at night, so keep it up :)
  • sting5
    sting5 Posts: 408
    Options
    Hi...I don't think you are setting yourself up for failure. I find that usually after 7 or 8pm is just unhealthy snacking time anyway..
  • hil30
    hil30 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think it sound like a realistic goal..I think im gonna try that myself .Good Luck :smile:
  • Ittybitty22
    Ittybitty22 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    eat fruit if u get hungry or salad
  • MOS3
    MOS3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    In my experience the time of eating has not affected weight loss. I often snack all night. However it may not be the same for everyone, so just try out what works for you.
  • iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I agree drink lots of water, half your weight in water...also fill up on protein rich foods, they help keep you satiated. I stop eating three hours before bedtime and these tips have been very helpful in achieving that goal for me.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Today I'm starting a new eating policy, which is: No eating 2 hours before bed. That's usually around 9:30 or 10pm for me, so 7:30 is my cut off tonight, and I plan on logging my food and exercise in at this time... but I'm freaking out. I've still got a very big appetite, and I don't know if I'm just setting myself up for failure. Is this healthy?

Pointless. When you eat is irrelevant, it's how much you eat that counts. You could eat IN BED and still see the same results provided your overall macronutrient content and calories in are the same.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

I would recommend trying IF (intermittent fasting). I have only been doing it about 2 weeks and it helps alot with appetite control. Basically what I do is skip breakfast and then eat lunch around noon and dinner and then dont eat again until lunch the next day. In between lunch and dinner I have other meals if I need them. The main thing is dont eat outside your eating window, which is for me around 8hours and 16 hours fasting. So from 12 to 8pm I can eat. The only time I really get hungry is usually in the morning and just drink some water takes care of hunger. You will learn that you dont have to eat every couple hours like I used to do. And you can eat larger meals since you are not having a lot of small meals.
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake in the evening after my workout and don't eat after that. This has really helped me because evenings are when I tend to blow it with snacking on bad things :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The only valid reason to stop eating at a certain time is if digestion affects your sleep.

Otherwise, it doesn't matter when you eat. Except, of course, if you eat a big meal right before bed, and weigh yourself the next morning before you have a chance to poop it out, but that has nothing to do with fat loss.
  • Thanks for the suggestion! It sounds like it's really helping- and if anything can help my appetite CALM DOWN, I'm certainly willing to try it.
  • Now I want peanut butter cups

haha! just being honest! We'll get through it somehow... :sad:
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    The only valid reason to stop eating at a certain time is if digestion affects your sleep.

Otherwise, it doesn't matter when you eat. Except, of course, if you eat a big meal right before bed, and weigh yourself the next morning before you have a chance to poop it out, but that has nothing to do with fat loss.

I agree.

I save some calories for a fruit smoothie in the evening.
    Coconut water + Greek yogurt (for the protein) + fruit
    It's my 'dessert'.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options

Totaly agree with the above!!!!!:bigsmile:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I wish I could commit to something like this, but the earliest I could shoot for would be like 9pm. I am a hungry woman.
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

haha! just being honest! We'll get through it somehow... :sad:

MMMMMM - Peanut Butter
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Ive always heard eat throughout the day starting from your first meal...so if you eat at 7 am, quit eating at 7pm. I usually dont have a set time that i stop, but late night if i have munchies i eat fats(peanut butter, almonds, pistachios) works for me!
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    There is really only one hard and fast rule for dieting: If you can live with it forever, and it works, do it.

Otherwise, why bother? Some people feel that cutting off their eating at a certain time helps them. Me? I eat an early dinner and like to have little snacks at night, almost right up until bedtime. I'm not a metabolic scientist...I have no idea if it makes any appreciable difference or not. But the important point is that I "like" eating late, and I can lose weight doing it. So I do it.

Why are you trying to stop eating at a certain time? Are you at a plateau? Do you have heartburn? Just trying an experiment? If its making you miserable, and you don't have any good reason for doing it, don't.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Pointless. When you eat is irrelevant, it's how much you eat that counts. You could eat IN BED and still see the same results provided your overall macronutrient content and calories in are the same.

^ This.