Eat more to Lose more, explained.

Options

Replies

• mrsepiphany
    mrsepiphany Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    thanks for explaining this. makes more sense!
  • orodee
    orodee Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Keekie51
    Keekie51 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've done that before too and it's not good at all. I have just found this site 3 days ago, and am happy to be on 1600 calories, 165 carbs/day. I don't care that it is only 1.5 lbs/wk, because I know my body will love it.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    It's wonderful that you found what works for you BUT, what about some actual research to back up these claims? I see a lot of what s called "bro science" here. People who found what works for them and they preach it in absolute terms.

Frankly, it can be dangerous. Not that this particular post is especially harmful, but it's something everyone here should be mindful of.
    Our BMR is the number of calories we need if we are in a coma. That isn't broscience. It makes sense to me that we need more than that even if we are trying to lose weight. If you have more to lose maybe for a short period you can get by on less. I think I want to see science that tells me it safe to eat under your BMR for long periods of time rather than science that says you should eat more. I see no need for that. As to whether ones metabolism slows when they do eat at significant deficits you are welcome to look into it. I am satisfied at what I have seen.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Thank you for explaining this better than just "your body goes into starvation mode"!!
  • StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    ^
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    Thanks for this.
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump :o)
  • jenniferpowell1980
    jenniferpowell1980 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this great explaination. x
  • Natosean
    Natosean Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am having a problem eating more. I stopped eating fried foods, I only drink water, and I only eat lean meats. I never ate a lot, I just ate wrong. Now, I feel sated but I am only eating about 1000 calories. Yesterday, I went and ate fast food (the bad stuff) because I needed 800 kcal. I know I should be eating more but I don't want to stuff myself. Long story short, do I need to force myself to eat more or will my body figure it out and increase my appetite?
  • brittany17love
    brittany17love Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It happened to me trying to starve myself to lose weight. The weight dropped off but I felt incredibly sick and couldn't do much. I want to do it right this time around! Within a week before I was so nauseated from starving that I couldn't eat and it was awful. You never want to do that to yourself. Great post!
  • Olivia486
    Olivia486 Posts: 10
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Your BMR can give you a good indication of how many calories you should be netting. MFP calculates your goal by taking your BMR and subtracting 500 with a minimum of 1200.

Isn't it

BMR + activity level calories - 500 = net?

Again with a minimum of 1200.

Yes. Most BMR calculators (at least that I have used) take your activity levels (sedentary, fairly active, active) into account.

OP- You don't even understand MFP's plan. And your anecdote, while a lovely manifesto, is meaningless theorizing.
  • LairaJayne
    LairaJayne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! :-)
  • betterme1291
    Options
    Thanks for the post. Never really understood this :-p
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    duplicate
  • YoYo1951
    YoYo1951 Posts: 370
    Options
    bump to re-read
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Some extra food for thought.... I ate an average of 900 calories per day for 3 months. I lost the same amount of weight per week as I have eating 1200 calories per day for the past 4 months.My skin is better, my nails are better, my mood is better, I have more energy. It wasn't worth it. But MAYBE being able to share my story and help others will make up for it.

To OP I like your post.... except I'm confused about the last paragraph. Did you mean to say you eat 2200 now rather than 1200? 900 is not enough thats for sure and 1200 is not enough either for that matter!!
  • NZsleever
    NZsleever Posts: 20
    Options
    Finally it makes sense! Thank you so much for putting it into terms I can understand! Here I have been complaining how hard I have been working with no results and i'm so tired and just feel so yuck! It is hard to get your head around eating more especially when my weight has now changed but in the wrong direction!!! Its keeping this up and waiting for my body to adjust and hope like hell the weight starts shifting!