Is peanut butter okay???

Options

Replies

• ssvoboda2
    ssvoboda2 Posts: 14
    Options
    I like to eat my natural pb on cinnamon raisin english muffin and chocolate chip rice cake it taste like a reese cup very good.

oh yummy, sounds good I am going to have to try that!!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter on a banana is my favorite treat. Peanut butter is good for you. You are to have the type of fat in it for the Omegas, plus it's a good protein alternative. Just don't go crazy on it!
  • injuneer81
    injuneer81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I like to put butter on a peanut. Is that good?
  • hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    COnfession:

When its THAT time of the month and I start craving Chocolate to the point that I will knock down a little old lady at the store to get the last PB Twix:ohwell: .......I stay home and away from fragile people, and I substute that craving with a spoonful of peanut butter and some dark chocolate chips.................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:blushing:
  • alaskancoppertop
    Options
    I love the PB in an apple (have not done THAT since I was a kid!), but have been doing it on celery for YEARS! It made a great snack to take to work, it packed into my lunchbox real nice, and I cut the celery into small pieces so that if I had someone walk up to me, I didn't have this big ole piece of celery stick in my hand, and I could finish chewing before some general walked into my cubicle to yell at me!

All I got in my cabinet is Jiffy, a BIG jar, as in the 1 pound one I think! Guess I better make sure I get a better one next time!

Edit... Ok, I just looked at my container of JIF, it is made by JM Smucker Company, and it says - Made with Roasted Peanuts and Sugar, less than 2% Molasses, Hydro.... oils, and something else. That is it.

Guess I got the good PB without even knowing it!
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    if you talking nutrition-
    Peanut butter= good
    Nutella=bad

Look for Organic or Natural PB. Check the ingredients, they should be Peanuts! Mine has nothing else. Smuckers All Natural Creamy PB.

You will get used to it and not want the chemical laden standards ever again.

Watch your portion size, but it has protien and GOOD fats. Your body needs fats to function also so dont be afraid of it.

My snack for the end of the day is 1 slice pepperdidge farms litestyle oatmeal bread with 1 tbls PB

(look at the indreds of Nutella. Although yummy, it is nothing more than a candy!)
    :flowerforyou:

I use the Smuckers all it has is peanuts and salt, you have to keep it in the fridge. If you do buy it, make sure to stir, Stir, STIR it!!! All the natural oil is on the top and if you don't get it mixed in the bottom good enough it's runny on top and drier than a popcorn fart on the bottom, it's too hard to spread! It'll tear up your bread!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Jiff's alright, but I thought I would say it before someone else- some of the oils in the Jiff (Rapeseed, for one) scare some folks. Just thought I'd put it out there for ya.
    :smile:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    check snopes- the rapeseed thing is a bunch of fluff. no real science to it at all.
  • tech_sarah
    tech_sarah Posts: 91
    Options
    My fave for breakfast is 1 Tbsp Skippy naturals, extra crunchy- with a Betterstart Light english muffin... Naturally More is good also. And I too love it on bananas, apples, pretzels, anything is good with pb!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    Apple Hairy

slice an apple
    spread peanut butter on the slices
    sprinkle with alfalfa sprouts

yum yum :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I have peanut butter fairly regularly...usually 2 tbsp on a 12 grain or ancient grains toast.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 TBSP on apple slices almost every day before I go to the gym. I get Laura Scuddars (JM Smuckers) Organic Nutty, ingrediants: Organic peanuts, and less than 1% salt. From the moment I pull it off the shelf, until I am ready to use it, I flip it upside down so the oil can get to the "bottom" and then flip it back over and stir. It helps make stiring easier. I find the peanut taste is much stronger than other "artificial" brands where they take the peanut oil out and replace with some other type of oil.
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    Natural peanut butter, good!

Avoid all peanut butter with a thing called Rapeseed oil in it! Google rapeseed oil. it is poison. In Canada it is used as a pesticide! in America the wisdom of the FDA says put it in your peanut butter! Too many hazards to list! Brain damage in small children, etc. just google it, you will never eat anything with rapeseed oil in it again!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Jiff's alright, but I thought I would say it before someone else- some of the oils in the Jiff (Rapeseed, for one) scare some folks. Just thought I'd put it out there for ya.
    :smile:

It is bad because the rapeseed oil is partially hydrogenized with is a transfat. Rapeseed oil in its pure form is fairly healthy and not being partially hydrogenized, that is what makes it bad.

That is why the commercial Peanut Butters have the spreadability that they do and there is no oil on the top, that is due to the transfats.. Plus they add extra sugar.

For me, natural nut butters that contain the nut and salt as the ingredients is what I like.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options

Avoid all peanut butter with a thing called Rapeseed oil in it! Google rapeseed oil. it is poison. In Canada it is used as a pesticide! in America the wisdom of the FDA says put it in your peanut butter! Too many hazards to list! Brain damage in small children, etc. just google it, you will never eat anything with rapeseed oil in it again!

:blushing: my mother believes anything anyone spams her with.

check into it for 5 minutes and you will see that rapeseed oil is in all kinds of food and is not dangerous.

she uses skippy in her kitchen:huh:
    I have been eating it my entire life. I didn't get brain damage.....
  • czewwhat
    Options

:blushing: my mother believes anything anyone spams her with.

check into it for 5 minutes and you will see that rapeseed oil is in all kinds of food and is not dangerous.

she uses skippy in her kitchen:huh:
    I have been eating it my entire life. I didn't get brain damage.....

I buy Kirkland organic, for a long time now. sorry I poisoned you as a child!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    if you check your inbox, you'll find the snopes article. :huh:

the only poisoning I got was mental..............:devil: :laugh:

seriously you guys,
    peanut butter is OKAY.
    even Skippy.
    just factor it into your daily calories and proceed.

and if you prefer all natural kind, and want to stir your PB, that's great too.
  • czewwhat
    Options
    if you check your inbox, you'll find the snopes article. :huh:

the only poisoning I got was mental..............:devil: :laugh:

seriously you guys,
    peanut butter is OKAY.
    even Skippy.
    just factor it into your daily calories and proceed.

and if you prefer all natural kind, and want to stir your PB, that's great too.

Answer me this, why is it not in Canadian food products? Since it is so good for you why has Canada not allowed Rapeseed oil in their food chain? Anything that can kill aphids, should not be in your food. Thank you for the delightful banter, I love you!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Update on the Naturally More, the person earlier was right. It's pretty darn yummy. I approve. :happy:
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    Options
    I always thought peanut butter by its very nature was very fattening but I see people here recommending it as a snack:noway: Is that right can I have my peanu butter back:bigsmile: I also like Nutella:bigsmile:
    How are people eating their peanut butter what are you spreading it on:huh:
    A snack myself and my wife really enjoy is Ryvita crackers spread with extra light Philadelphia cheese spread and topped with salsa sauce the type of stuff you dip Doritos in. that is absolute heaven:bigsmile: :love:

Yes, peanut butter is high fat but it is also loaded with protein. And as long as you have it in moderation your fine and don't go over your daily limit on your fat grams. Nutella is a different story like the other posters have commented. But if you want a little bit now and then, again moderation is the key not deprivation.

HTH
    Demetria