How long does it take you to run a mile?

Options

Replies

• SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Average: 11:04 min/mile.
    Best: 6:59 min/mile.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Depends on how many I have to run! LOL!

It's been a long while since I've just gone out and ran a mile to see how fast I could go, but I'm guessing somewhere in the 6:30-7:00 range.

I can't hold that up, though. My 5K times are usually around 7:30 per mile. I ran 10 miles last weekend and my average pace was 8:49 per mile. My best marathon time was an average pace of 9:19 per mile.
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Top weight, 12 minute mile. I haven't really tried only running 1 mile in a long, but during my 4 mile run the other day I ran 1 of my miles in 7:20.

Being a competitive person, I always want to do the best, but you are RUNNING!!! That is a big accomplishment!
  • bolducjc
    bolducjc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is a difference in treadmil mile, running a mile outside/uneven surface, and running it on a track. My outside mile is 8:33.
  • sherip22
    sherip22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If I am only running 1 mile, I can do it in about 9 minutes. However, if I am going farther than a mile, I don't want to tire out so I pace myself. I am currently training for a half marathon and am averaging 10 minute miles.
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried a 1-mile sprint yet (I should.....).

Yesterday's 6-miler broke down to an 8:30 pace. I'm 38, male, and have been seriously running for only about a year now, so I'm getting into this rather late :)
  • joshalapp
    joshalapp Posts: 12
    Options
    My fastest mile was a pace of 5:52/mile. I just did my first half marathon at a pace of 8:02.

Any other runners on here that want friends please add me!!
  • OCRking
    Options
    It all depends how far you want to run and how hard your will to train when i do 3 miles i average 5 - 5:30 min/mile with the best atm at 4:51. But then my 10 mile runs its more like 6 - 7 min/miles
  • littleknownblogger
    Options
    Personal best: 5:45. Current average: 7:30.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Who cares about time, a 12 minute mile is just as far as a 8 minute mile. Just go run!
  • skylerkim980
    Options
    I do cross country for junior high and this was my first year. I started training from the summer cause our school has a lot of ppl that try out for both cross country and track. After my first season ended, I was in shape and got a 6:39 for a mile and 13:50 for two miles. Before I had a 6:51 time. If u are just starting, I suggest you start running longer distances. That is a lot better if u are tryinf to bring up your stamina. Run 5 times a week and try running more than 1.5 miles about four times and run a mile once.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I usually never run... Canada has a long winter and running indoors on a treadmill is just boring... or even walking.

3.5 months ago I could barely walk 5-10 min on the treadmill without panting/gasping at speed 3.5mph at incline 1.

I walked on the treadmill and/or elliptical for 40 min or so 2-3 times/week and did bootcamp style or crossfit workouts the rest. Oh, and we row in crossfit so I took that up for the first time. Never rowed before but it's surprisingly hard and it's a great workout.

I now walk at about 3.9 - 4.0 mph at incline 1 for 40 min and my hr rarely gets over 120 so I decided to give it a shot running....

2 weeks ago: Ran at 6 mph for 5 min. No music, no TV. put a towel over the counter and tried running. No shin splints on the left leg that I've always gotten before! felt like I could grind through another 5 min or so minimum but decided to stop. ( 260 lbs)

2 days ago: Ran at 7mph incline 1 in 8:40ish. (255 lbs)

I always thought that I have to practice 'running' to be better at running, but I don't think so anymore. As long as I get my general fitness level up doing any other exercise that keeps my hr eleveated for an extended period of time, I'll get better at running(probably up to a certain point).

Nothing scientific here.. just saying from my experience.
  • tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I run a 12 minute mile....all my cursing slows me down. Me no like to run!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My best mile time ever - for a 1 mile race (not on a track so not flat) is 7:13. That was this July.
    My best 5k average mile time as around 8 minutes (the course was a little short)
    My average pace is around 8:45-9:30 depending on distance and how I am feeling.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Just one mile, about 6, between 6:45 and 7:10 for a 5k min per mile pace, between 7:30 and 8 for an easy run ...
  • slimjenny21
    slimjenny21 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I haven't timed myself in forever but it's usually around a 10 min mile. I haven't been able to run recently because of my knee but my best ever (in the past 2 years or so) was 9:01 i believe. I really want to run more and at a faster pace but I have been having knee issues :(
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    5.45 is my PB for a mile
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    my best is sub-7 minutes, but that was a one time thing. average, i'm around 10 minutes.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    At about 5 weeks in on C25k I am at about 13:10. Hopefully I'll get a bit faster as I build my base but I'm not looking to break any records here. Just consistently doing it is the key :smile:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I am averaging between 11:30 and 12:00 - its really what works for you without injuries...

Mines about the same. My PB for a 5k is 37mins. I'll just be happy with being able to do 5k under 35. There will always be someone faster/slower than you so dont worry about it just be proud that you are out there trying.