Does less food effect your mood??

Options
I was just curiuos, I generealy try to eat 1200 calories a day, but seem awful crabby lately lol.... kinda have been since I'm trying to lose more per week. MFP recommends 1200 a day for the increase of -2lbs a week, but my daily alotment is 1480. I was wondering if anyone else noticed that if they don't eat "enough" they seem moody or emotional??? I don't wanna eat the 1480, espically on days when I can't exercise :( I am trying to keep a clear head about my diet, even though I notice I am leaning towards a bad relationship with food...trying to work on that, I mean the lifestyle change has worked great....down 40lbs in 7months, Just curious...TIA <3

Replies

• Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Could be you would feel better at slightly more calories or tweaking what it is you are already eating. Your profile is private so it's difficult to give much feedback.
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    if I don't eat enough I get moody, exhausted, and very emotional. You need to make sure you are eating enough and eating healthy foods that will nourish your body.
  • neo200120018
    neo200120018 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    your brain needs fuel and vitamins to function so most def eating the right food effects mood, energy, sleep etc
    I have a colleuge and since he start attkins 4 months ago he has the shortest fuse! u body needs carbs!
  • Sejanus203
    Options
    I get SUPER moody and angry when I don't eat enough. It is even worse if I don't eat foods that are actually nourishing. I was originally pushing myself hard by only eating 1200 kcal each day, but that just led to me being really unhappy. I bumped up my limit a bit and it has made a huge difference in my attitude.

It is much safer for my friends and coworkers if I eat enough :-)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Here's an interesting article on carbs & mood from MIT

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2004/carbs.html
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Yes. With insufficient food *for me*, I'm grouchy and unhappy. I'm also tired and have difficulty maintaining focus.

Your ticker says you only have 8 lbs to go to goal weight -- 2 lbs/week might be too aggressive a goal at the moment.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Oh if I don't eat enough, I turn into a monster, I swear it.
    If I'm hungry, I eat. There will be no starving allowed. Or I will unleash the beast! lol
  • 21karensmith
    21karensmith Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help....I will be eating more :D Atleast closer to my goal lol. Thanks again!!!
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I get especially irritable after running. I don't feel better until I eat again. I'm no fun when I haven't eaten.
  • AmandaR321
    AmandaR321 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm also a total witch if I don't eat enough lol.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I have to eat at least 1600 before I feel satisfied. Normally I go over and hit about 1800-2k and fall off the boat, especially over the weekend. Reason why I haven't lost anything the last month... >_<
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    I also get a bit moody and irritable but mostly get headaches if I don't eat enough.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Here's an interesting article on carbs & mood from MIT

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2004/carbs.html

just adding, hope that's okay. :smile:
    http://www.habitguide.com/judith-wurtman-interview
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    If I don't get enough to eat, I'm definitely crabby. I also noticed on a low-carb diet I'm a major biotch. I just have to find a balance and stick with it haha ;)
  • revadiana
    revadiana Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I need to eat at around 1500 a day, any less and I'm pretty cranky. Since I started working out steadily, I found that need to eat at least a 3 small meals before lunch, if I don't I just can't focus on anything but food. I would probably turn cannibal and eat one of my coworkers.
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    I get SUPER moody and angry when I don't eat enough. It is even worse if I don't eat foods that are actually nourishing.
    This. I get headaches and can't focus, also. :grumble:
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    YES! I have done a 1200 calorie diet several times before. Each time I would be very VERY angry for at least the first few weeks. I found out (via this site) about a month ago that it was probably due to my lack of calories. I did two things:

1) Decreased my weight loss goal to 1 pound a week so that I could eat more and
    2) started eating my exercise calories back (something I never did before)

NOW I'm not hungry and angry all the time AND I have energy to workout! :-)
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yes, if I eat in the 1200 calorie range, which is not enough for me, I feel really annoyed and frustrated with everything. I have to eat around 1450 calories a day (projected loss of 1lb/week) to be happy. I have decided that going slow and being happy is better than losing 2lbs a week and being very unhappy.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    The only time I start getting snippy is when I've gone long periods of time between meals or snacks, which sometimes happens when I'm out running a lot of errands or other things that keep me from just going home and eating a banana or yogurt. I have a mood disorder anyway so it's hard to tell when it's that or something else. Though if I haven't had enough to eat to get to the point of "satisfied" I can get whiny.

I don't know if it's so much a matter of eating more as it is eating things that are filling like granola bars or some fruits and veggies. You could eat your calorie deficit for the day's worth of food but if it's stuff like salad or watery fruits, soup and other generally "light" food then you might as well have had next to nothing all day because it doesn't keep you satisfied as long.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I was just curiuos, I generealy try to eat 1200 calories a day, but seem awful crabby lately lol.... kinda have been since I'm trying to lose more per week. MFP recommends 1200 a day for the increase of -2lbs a week, but my daily alotment is 1480. I was wondering if anyone else noticed that if they don't eat "enough" they seem moody or emotional??? I don't wanna eat the 1480, espically on days when I can't exercise :( I am trying to keep a clear head about my diet, even though I notice I am leaning towards a bad relationship with food...trying to work on that, I mean the lifestyle change has worked great....down 40lbs in 7months, Just curious...TIA <3

You won't have problems losing weight on 1480, just eat a bit more and be more patient with your weight loss.