safe to run on tight calves?

Options
Hi,

Quick question - appreciate any advice - I am new to running - ran yesterday and have tight calves today - just wanted to get out and do a gentle jog today - is that safe?

And yes - ran with trainer yesterday so did lots of stretching before and after...

Thanks for any help

Replies

• HealthyJess88
    HealthyJess88 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm no pro, so I'm not sure what you should do...but if I'm keen to go out for a run I just start walking until my calves don't feel as stiff, and if I am still keen to run I'll jog slowly and generally I'm all good :)
  • newtattie
    newtattie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Good idea - didn't even think of loosening up at the same time.

Thanks
  • willis47
    willis47 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's probably because you are new to running just make sure you stretch before and after if you feel your calf go tight when your running stop. Because if you pull or tear it you will be in alot of pain and not be able to run for quite a while. If you can get a massage done by someone you know that will help aswell.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    try a simple calf stretch, stand on a step or sloping ground with your toes at the top and let your heels drop. Stretch for a good minute or so.

And in general - get off heels, all they are doing are shortening your calf muscles and making them tighter to run.
  • newtattie
    newtattie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    thanks - thats the thing I am finding I love about MFP - so many people with good advice who are always willing to help
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Might be mostly due to being a new runner but stretch before as others said but even during your run stop and stretch every so often. Then ice paks a couple times during the day. Massage with a milking action also as recommended above