Pain in back of heels

Options
Help!!!:sad:

I have pain at the back of my heels that seem the worst when waking in the morning. I feel some pain with pressure. Anyone know what that is? I'm thinking all the aerobics are causing the problem but I don't want to stop because of the pain. Are there inserts or anything like that that would help the pain or support my heel for this type of pain? I do aerobics 3 x week. Jog 2 x week and weight lift 3 x week.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Replies

• dawnndamen
    dawnndamen Posts: 37
    Options
    Hi nursegirl79. I have the same problem - the pain goes away after you walk on it for awhile, but after sitting it hurts to walk on it at all. I went to a podiatrist for this about 1 year ago. I was diagnosed with plantar faciatis. There's a store here called "Good Feet" they specialize in making inserts for your shoes. They seem to help some, but are very expensive. I also heard that some regular stores like Walmart have a Dr. Scholls machine that you put your foot on and it tells you what inserts to buy. I hope this helps!!
  • chighland2
    Options
    Is it in one foot or both? Sounds like Plantar Fasciitis.
  • yg_medina
    yg_medina Posts: 9
    Options
    It sounds like plantar faciatis. U need to stretch your achilles tendonds twice a day. I use to strech in the morning while i was in the shower, the hot water warmed up my muscles and then after my work out. If that doesn't work you might need some inserts. But regardless it is a good idea to stretch. Hope you feel better.
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    Is it bulging out on your heel? I ask b/c I just had a Dr's visit for pain & bulging tendon in my heel. My Dr. gave me stretch exercise to do for it. She says I have a high arch so it takes more work for my body to get to the needed 90 degree angle needed. Ice after it hurts & Aleave were perscriped. Also no long walk or weight barrying(sp?) exercise. She diagnoised me as Tendonitis. Not the Plantar Fascitis that I thought I might have.
  • julster324
    julster324 Posts: 44
    Options
    Sounds like plantar fascitis which I also have. Stretching is key. look online for some stretches or ask you r doctor but the best stretch for me is standing on the edge of a step one foot at a time and letting the heel hang down. Do this for a full 30 sec each heel several times a day, before and after exercise.
    If you want inserts or shoes that work for me I recommend Birkenstocks. I wear them around the house and never go barefoot. They sell an insert for your tennis shoe and for me it is a lifesaver. Good luck.
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    Oh yeah....she gave me little felt heel lifts to let the heel rest when standing, walking. I don't like shoes so going barefoot or wearing sandles increases the strain on the heel. I use my bicycle for exercise & she also told me to use the heel of your foot as to work the thighs instead of the ball of your foot that uses your calf muscles. Which for me I get calf charlie horses in & I think moved down to my heel. Anyway...I send you a consultation bill of $300.00 JK .:laugh:
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Could be plantar fascitis or achilles tendonitis. I have achilles tendonitis and am hoping it's not developing into plantar fascitis. Stretching is key, as is RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression?, Elevation) and ibuprofen to relieve the swelling.

Tendonitis is caused from overuse (not sure about plantar fascitis). Obviously, walking, etc., can aggravate the injury. I know another person on MFP who has plantar fascitis and she's been recommended to swim. You may want to try that.

Here are some links for heel cord stretches:

http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_12_3_5.htm

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100056445

http://runningpodiatrist.blogspot.com/2009/04/dont-forget-your-stretches-before-you.html

http://www.usuhs.mil/*kitten*/HeelChordStretches.doc

Also, I've read that, unlike muscles (at least to some extent), tendons don't like to be stretched without some sort of a warmup first, so unless you're going to very gently stretch (like as you're lying in bed first thing in the morning), try to get some exercise to the achilles tendon prior to stretching it.

Cheers! :drinker:
  • sld63
    sld63 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Sounds like plantars fascitis to me too...

I've found the best stretch is to sit on a chair with your (bare) feet flat on the floor, then place a towel just at the tip of your toes - using your toes to stretch and then curl to grab the towel to drag it toward you (without using your leg muscles), repeat till you have pulled the entire towel towards you.

I did this stretch/exercise nightly for about a week and it really seemed to help, hope this helps you too!

Sherri
  • nursegirl79
    nursegirl79 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll..that's what I was thinking it was too. I'm gonna have to try some inserts. I like turbo kick to much to stop. Maybe when I lose more weight it will get better.:tongue:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll..that's what I was thinking it was too. I'm gonna have to try some inserts. I like turbo kick to much to stop. Maybe when I lose more weight it will get better.:tongue:

I have had plantar fasciitis and it can be painful! I remember stepping out of bed and feeling like I was walking on broken glass! Ouch!

Try a bouncy ball or tennis ball to massage the bottoms of your feet, or a frozen water bottle. Wear good tennis shoes and try not to go barefoot! Flip flops are the worst for your feet.

Good luck!
  • angl
    angl Posts: 188
    Options
    For plantar fasciitis all the stretches list by others are great to do. Do them daily!!!
    Do not go barefoot...as soon as you get out of bed slip on some kind of shoe with arch support.
    Go to .......heelthatpain.com.....the have the best inserts for your shoes and are only 24.99. The inserts are for several types of heel problems. I have several pairs to put in all my shoes.
    These inserts work miracles. All of you with plantar fasciitis should try them.
    Also my Dr. have given me a cortizone shot in my heel. It hurts like hell but really really helps.
    Hope this is helpful and your pain gets better soon.
    angl:bigsmile:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    when I went for my annual last wednesday I talked about the same - however my pain is more on the ball of my foot. The doctor said plantar fasciitis and gave me a couple of exercises to do with my toes & feet. Try pulling a towel with a can of beans on it using only your toes. She said if the pain continues to get proper arch support.
    I was also given a prescription for celebrex for my tennis elbow, and I've really noticed a huge difference in my feet and hips too. I feel like I'm 20 all over again :laugh: :tongue:
  • HeatherMMB
    Options

I have pain at the back of my heels that seem the worst when waking in the morning. I feel some pain with pressure. Anyone know what that is? I'm thinking all the aerobics are causing the problem but I don't want to stop because of the pain. Are there inserts or anything like that that would help the pain or support my heel for this type of pain? I do aerobics 3 x week. Jog 2 x week and weight lift 3 x week.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Hi - have you looked into plantar faciitis? sorry if the spelling is wrong.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/plantar-fasciitis/ds00508

Plantar fasciitis causes stabbing pain that usually occurs with your very first steps in the morning. Once your foot limbers up, the pain of plantar fasciitis normally decreases, but it may return after long periods of standing or after getting up from a seated position.

Heather
  • nursegirl79
    nursegirl79 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Hi - have you looked into plantar faciitis? sorry if the spelling is wrong.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/plantar-fasciitis/ds00508

Plantar fasciitis causes stabbing pain that usually occurs with your very first steps in the morning. Once your foot limbers up, the pain of plantar fasciitis normally decreases, but it may return after long periods of standing or after getting up from a seated position.

Heather

Thanks for the advice.

I have found out that it is plantar fasciitis. It's all the jumping in areobics. I have found out that it is my calves that is causing the problem. They are becoming for muscular and tight. I have to stretch them alot. I've also been icing them after stretching. Now when I run or do areobics I tape my feet. My feet haven't hurt in 3 days. The taping is awsome. I learned how to do it online!:happy: