Attempting to run/jog a 5K

Options
Hello everyone!!
This is probably a really silly questions but here is some background. I have tried ALL of the weight loss tricks and places. THIS is the best and most convenient weight loss site for me. I have a LONG way to go, but its working.
I have a goal in mind to eventually by the end of this year, to run(or briskly jog) a 5K.
I have NO training in this but just have been actively exercising at home. I want to make sure that I have the right clothing for when I start though. I may want to start mini jogs this summer....

What do I need to start this 5K mission?? Like clothing, music, shoes, etc. I am determined to never be this fat again and want to really start doing this running thing.
Thanks! And good luck everyone!!

Replies

• kbown
    kbown Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been using the "Couch to 5K" app on my phone. I believe it may have been changed to "ease to 5K'. Either way it has been a godsend. I LOVE the program!
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store such as "Fleet Feet" & get fitted for the right shoes. Get a great sports bra. Train with intervals.
    Something like:
    walk 2 min./jog 1 min.
    work up to:
    walk 2 min./jog 8 min.
    eventually cut out the walking.
    Good luck & have fun!!! :happy:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k ( www.c25k.com ) is awesome. You'll be able to run a 5k in as little as 9 weeks!

There's an app or podcasts you can listen to that will tell you when you walk and when to run, or if you're low-tech, a treadmill-friendly version you can print out.

Best advice is to go slow at first. Run so slow that you can almost walk at the same speed. Once you have the endurance to go the distance you can work on speed.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I didn't personally use couch to 5k but I've heard it is great.

You need a good pair of running shoes. Getting fitted at a running store would be best for that.

I don't have a lot of gadgets but I do run with an mp3 player b/c I usually love to have music when I run.

I don't wear particularly special clothes in the spring/summer/fall. I got most of my stuff from JCPenney or Old Navy. I have more specialized clothing for winter running in MN.
  • lilyvale68
    lilyvale68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ditto all of it.

* Couch to 5K. I just ran 20 minutes straight on Friday and I was a non-runner 5 weeks ago.
    * Good running shoes.
    * A sports bra or two. I wear a bra and a tank top with a built in so I get double support.

Enjoy! :happy:
  • alilovesray
    alilovesray Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas!! I definitely need to find some spandex stuff and some bras. I am thinking of jogging around my neighborhood for some sense of what I can do or not do. It'll be a journey but I should do it. I think I can, I think I can.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    As above excellent advice - get yourself professionally fitted for a pair of shoes and pay a little money for a good fit. That is the most important part. The Couch to 5K is an excellent program and free versions all over the internet. Alternatively, just start walking, increasing the speed of walking as you can, and throw in bursts of runs periodically. I used to run telephone pole to telephone pole or driveway to driveway, etc. It all happens slowly but it is so awesome. I ran my first 5K last March and have been in 5 races since and absolutely love it!
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5 k is great. I used it and now can run an hour and working my way up to an hour and a half. Get fitted for shoes. I ended up fitting myself in a pair that were too small for running. I was starting to have foot pain when I ran more than 4.5 miles. Now I don't.