Losing Pounds but Not Inches

Options
2»

Replies

• ARC84
    ARC84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You lost internal fat - fat around your organs:heart, liver
    Waist is the last body part it will lose, you are losing fat in other part of your body.
    You may losing some muscle mass - make sure you are not eat below your BMR and eat enough protein for your LBM.

Thanks!
  • ARC84
    Options
    Veganboi is 100% correct. If you're losing weight and not inches, you are almost certainly losing lean muscle, and you'll regret it SO MUCH later when you've slowed your metabolism to a complete halt.

Well, some fat should still be lost even if muscle mass is lost. I think the issue experienced is... you girls might just be measuring your waist. A lot of women are bottom heavy. It's like a guy measuring his hips and saying "i am not losing any inches.
    Depends where you measure.

I actually do measure more than my waist. I measure more than MFP even mentions. I measure neck, arm, chest, waist, hips and thighs.
  • Chester_1
    Chester_1 Posts: 26
    Options
    Could your height also be affecting how quickly you see changes in measurements? I'm 5'11, and I've lost 16lbs so far, but I don't see any change. I assume it's coming off my entire body proportionately, and since I've got a tall body it doesn't show up very quickly.
  • ARC84
    Options
    Could your height also be affecting how quickly you see changes in measurements? I'm 5'11, and I've lost 16lbs so far, but I don't see any change. I assume it's coming off my entire body proportionately, and since I've got a tall body it doesn't show up very quickly.

hmmm... never thought of that. I am 5'11" also.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    A similar thing happened to me. I had lost more than 10 pounds in about six weeks, and my waist measurement stayed exactly the same. My clothes were looser, but the measurement wouldn't budge. This week I hit the 15-pound weight loss mark, and even though I told myself I wasn't going to measure, I did it anyway. I had lost two inches off my waist! It may just take some time for the progress to show up.

This.

I find there's a lag. :) For me it's what looks like 2 weeks. If you are very plump you might find no difference in waist measurement - and yet you may have lost 1/4 inch off your waist, 1/4 inch off your calf, 1/16 inch off your big toe.... spread all over a large body, losses in size are smaller.

Don't sweat it. No matter what's happening, for every pound you lose you reduce the pressure on your knee joints by 10lb. Who cares what your jeans say? your cartilege loves you. :D
  • Sminett
    Sminett Posts: 29
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I've lost 14 inches but only 4 lbs in a month. Very frustrating!

17233086.png
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Veganboi is 100% correct. If you're losing weight and not inches, you are almost certainly losing lean muscle, and you'll regret it SO MUCH later when you've slowed your metabolism to a complete halt.
    all of my lifts have been going up, so i'm assuming i'm not losing much, if any, muscle, but my measurements have BARELY changed. i've lost nearly 20 pounds and i'm still wearing the same clothing size. the jeans i wear all the time are looser, but that's because they're already stretched out from being worn and washed often. when i try on new jeans in the same size by the same brand, they're tight. and i'm only 5'4", so it's not like i'm so tall that i'm losing fat everywhere, therefore i'm not seeing a difference. i also measure in multiple places: arms, bust, waist, navel, hips, thighs, and calves.
  • elysianashes
    Options
    Wait... you're putting on muscle and wondering why you aren't losing inches? That seems self-explanatory to me... but I'm pretty new here so take that with a grain of salt lol.
  • Mia2891
    Mia2891 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    you'll see it, sometimes it just takes a little time. I didn't start seeing actual loss of inches until i hit about 35 lbs lost. So, everyone is different. Congrats on your weight loss!
  • ajh1014
    ajh1014 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Be proud of the weight you've lost! It will start to show in time. I'm 6' and have lost about 30 total. It's finally just starting to show. I'll probably have to lose close to 40 before anyone else can even see it. I know it's discouraging but hang in there. It will happen!
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Wait... you're putting on muscle and wondering why you aren't losing inches? That seems self-explanatory to me... but I'm pretty new here so take that with a grain of salt lol.
    muscle is more dense than fat. thus all the pictures of 5 pounds of fat versus 5 pounds of muscle. if you lose x pounds of fat and gain x pounds of muscle, your body will get smaller.
  • JuJu2976
    JuJu2976 Posts: 15
    Options
    I am opposite, I have lost inches and not weight, I get so frustrated with the scale because it won't move, so I started taking measurements instead of weigh-ins. However it comes off, I am happy, I feel like I am doing more toning up than anything, which I am totally happy about. I have been doing MFP Seriously for only several weeks, I joined last year but was confused how it worked so I gave up. It is the support of people on MFP, is why I am here today, Trying this again. Good Luck, Hope you start seeing inches gone soon:)
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i have the opposite im losing inches but not much weight hope it all equals out in the end

^^^^^ THIS!
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 40 lbs so far and have only lost 2-4 inches here and there. Everyones bodies are different. Just keep going, they'll meet each other eventually.
  • elysianashes
    Options
    muscle is more dense than fat. thus all the pictures of 5 pounds of fat versus 5 pounds of muscle. if you lose x pounds of fat and gain x pounds of muscle, your body will get smaller.
    I realize that, but it's also possible to put on muscle without losing much fat and still lose weight, specifically because of that... and if you put on a significant amount of muscle but aren't losing much of the fat, then you will bulk up and your measurements will stay the same. There are all sorts of possibilities there.
  • stephen_jones
    Options
    You lost internal fat - fat around your organs:heart, liver
    Waist is the last body part it will lose, you are losing fat in other part of your body.
    You may losing some muscle mass - make sure you are not eat below your BMR and eat enough protein for your LBM.
  • holliwood322
    holliwood322 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i have been working on this for almost 3 months. i am pretty good about watching my calories. (i'm no angel:devil: ) but am in line or under my calorie goal 75-80 % of the time. i have only managed to lose about 6 lbs. i exercise alot, most of it requiring leg work, roller skating, walking, bicycling. i have lost about 1" off my stomach. i am 51 and just can not believe my progress is sooooo slow! :noway:
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have lost in total since the baby, 50 lbs. I have another 15 or so to prepregnancy weight( yes i gained alot)..(my ticker is how much i want to lose in total ).
    I Haven't noticed much of a difference in inches, but people have definitely seen the difference and complimented me on it.
    I was also curious what this could be. My clothes are fitting better...so all i can assume is im measuring in the wrong spot each time i try ? or I could be losing a little bit everywhere ..... I also haven't been weight training, I just walk everyday.