what to do if you hate water?

Options

Replies

• Ms_Cindyrella
    Ms_Cindyrella Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fan of water either.

I did find that I like it a lil better if I drink it in a tall glass with a straw, and sip it all day. I have one of those clear glasses with a lid, and straw so I can see how much I drank. Usually about 4 of those will fill my required 8 glasses I need. Plus I use water in the jugs, not tap.
  • miltonp50
    miltonp50 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    A woman in my Jazzercise class always has a water bottle with a stem of rosemary in it. She preps the bottle the night before and pops it in the frig. She likes it (obviously). I haven't tried it yet, but it might be worth a try for you.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Make sure it is a good quality water. Dasani is ok; I like Nestle . Tap water around here can be hazardous to your health so I never drink from the tap. Sodas of any kind really should be avoided due to a number of factors including water retention. (I need to practice what I preach here)....
  • taylordnmn
    taylordnmn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way and the only way I get my intake is with Crystal Light. There are a ton of different products out there to enhance water without adding many calories. Experiment and see what you like.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I have a several part comment with a question thrown in:

1. For those who hate water, do you drink a lot of soda, soft drinks, flavored drinks?

2. I love water. I am constantly drinking water. At a restaurant, even if I'm treating myself to a lovely meal, I'll ask for water.

UNTIL.,,,,,

3. A few years ago, I was dating someone who drank a TON of soda. I started keeping it in the house, and started drinking it regularly, UNTIL... one day, WATER TASTED DISGUSTING.

I was horrified and immediately stopped drinking soda and went back to plain water.

My current theory is that your taste buds get used to the flavored drinks and don't like water any more. I should also add that the sodas I was drinking were diet, maybe that makes a difference.

Anyway, my solution is to drink all water, all the time, except as a rare tasty treat. I tend to shy away from chemical additives, so my preference would be to stay away from powdered water additives, but your mileage may vary, as they say!

What do people think? Could drinking diet sodas be a cause of thinking water tastes gross???
    Not for me. I've always hated drinking water and if I had a soda it still took me forever to drink it. It never has mattered what it was. I think it just makes me feel too full or something. I'm not even sure!
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Give flavored seltzer a try... it's got the bubbles of pop, but no sodium, no calories and our grocery stores carry orange, cherry, lime, raspberry and pomegranite (sp?).
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I swear by the Crystal Light fruit punch drink mixes. 5 calories a serving. You can get cheaper generic brands all over the place too. Helped me kick my soda addiction.
    Me too! I buy the generic kind at Walmart. Cherry is the best! Cherry Pomegranate is 2nd. :)
  • calcorn1
    calcorn1 Posts: 28
    Options
    how much is the MIO and where can I find it??????? its a great idea!!

You can get it from walmart, they even have their great value version, which is what i buy, it's not more than a couple dollars, and its got like 24 servings, I really like it when i want something other than water. i used to be addicted to sodas, so it was hard at first, but i love water.
  • Love2HikeMT
    Options
    What kind of water are you drinking? City water from the tap? Ugh! I have well water and it is the best tasting stuff I've ever had...can't get enough of it. Try getting a good bottled spring water and keep drinking. Your body is made up of mostly water and your body needs water to remain healthy. After a while of continuing to drink good clean water you will start craving it. Just keep at it.
  • TamaraGraceS
    TamaraGraceS Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    *love this* So true! I drink 16 cups a day. Sometimes I add fresh mint!

You don't like water because your taste buds have adjusted to the taste of "artificial crap". That is not a put down but a reality. I used to weight 450lbs and while I still struggle with weight I have made serious changes to my life in order to normalize. I used to be addicted to soda and the taste of sweet. I drank 2-3 6 packs a day no problem (hence part of the weight problem). Now I only drink 3 things: water, milk and tea. My suggestion is to get off of ALL drinks (especially artificially flavored ones...sugar is better than aspartame which is a poison). "Suck it up buttercup" as my military friend says and go 100% water 100% of the time. Give it several months and you will LOVE water. You will love what it does for your healthy body. Seriously, it is good for you. If the world continues there will be a day when people would give their right arm for the taste of a glass of water, our most precious resource.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    OMG. The ultimate first world problem. "I dont like drinking water" Im sorry, we just can never be friends after that statement.

I agree.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Is it tap water? If so I can understand. I drink bottled all the time, unless I use a certain filter. Water used to be completely foreign to me, but then I started cutting out soda and cutting back on juices, and forced myself to chug it down now matter what. Now I can actually TASTE the water, and most soda tastes too strong!!!
  • pinkhu13
    pinkhu13 Posts: 133
    Options
    Suck it up and drink it. Not trying to be rude or anything. That's what I do because I hate water too and lemon and all that doesn't make it any more appealing. I just try not to think about it and just drink it. I know they say you should eat your water. Like if you eat oatmeal use water instead of milk or whatever you can use water in, use it.
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    suck it up? It's good for you, just chug it.

lol this.. its water! no taste! add sometime sweet to it if its that bad to you
  • girlwapp
    girlwapp Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go bottled, unless you want bubbly, but if you're drinking from the tap, try getting a filter/filter pitcher (like Brita). They can help the taste a lot. Also, try drinking tea or flavored tonic water.
  • supergr33n
    supergr33n Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What do people think? Could drinking diet sodas be a cause of thinking water tastes gross???

I think that is an excellent theory! I know that when I drink sodas (diet or otherwise) I don't go out of my way to drink ANY water.
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I have never been a water drinker either, although I was an athlete all through school.

Now that I'm 40, I drink a Crystal Light knock-off (Safeway brand) that has the same stuff in it, gives the same low calorie results but cost less than half the price.

Also, because of a certain friend here on MFP, I've formed a habit of having a 16oz cup of water on my desk at work. I drink that sometimes twice a day, because it's there. Otherwise, I would never touch the stuff myself.

~katie
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I put sweetened Kool-Aid in mine but little by little I am not putting as much in the Gallon that I make so that I am getting used to not having so much flavor...I absolutely hate water...UGH!!!...I just know I have to drink some so that is my way of getting to it withought gagging...lol Try it...It helps tremendously!! I am now only putting very little Kool-Aid flavoring in it & I am okay with it!! Good luck to you...I completely understand but we gotta do it!! :)

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    i buy the cambridge diet drink flavours, it's powder you add to your drink, expensive but lasts for ages, so nice i drink loads of the stuff. (im not on the cambridge diet though)
  • danistewart89
    danistewart89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mio is like 3.50 at Wal Mart.