my morning coffee is killing me. Alternatives?

Options
I eat up all of my breakfast calories on my morning cup of coffee. I put so much sugar and creamer in my coffee. I have tried splenda and truvia, but I just do not like the flavor of artificial sweeteners. Any idea of what I can do to enjoy my morning cup w/o packing on the pounds.

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I eat up all of my breakfast calories on my morning cup of coffee. I put so much sugar and creamer in my coffee. I have tried splenda and truvia, but I just do not like the flavor of artificial sweeteners. Any idea of what I can do to enjoy my morning cup w/o packing on the pounds.

Work on slowly decreasing the amount of sugar that you use. If you put in 4 tablespoons, reduce it gradually to 3, then 2... etc. You'll (eventually) get used to it. Don't try and jump to black ... blechhh, too big of a jump :P
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Have you tried measuring what you would normally put in it, then gradually putting in less and less? That's what I did (although I now use splenda). It helps to bring it down gradually then you won't really notice the change :)
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I use honey, which still has calories like sugar, but I find I can use way less honey to get the same sweetness I get with more sugar. Therefore, less calories in the cup of coffee.
  • drtim12760
    Options
    Have you tried Stevia? It is a natural sugar substitute without the after taste. Also try almond milk instead of creamer.
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    i'm sure this is not what you want to hear but for me i ended giving it up all together. I chose to "spend' my calories on other things. It was rough but it's been 3 weeks now.
  • JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I suppose this wouldn't work for everyone...but six months ago I went completely cold turkey on doctoring up my coffee. One day I was loading it up with sugar and flavored creamer...the next day...completely black. It only took about a week for me to start loving it black...now, the idea of a ton of cream and sugar in there kind of grosses me out.

But...there ARE other ways to make a flavorful cup of coffee without loading it up. I would recommend the sugar-free varieties of Torani flavored syrups. Or, a splash of almond milk or something like that. Good luck! You'll feel so much better when you stop drinking your breakfast calories and can actually enjoy a healthy, flavorful breakfast instead.
  • Pamtwist
    Pamtwist Posts: 14
    Options
    I love my coffee so much that I will work out extra to enjoy a good cup. My problem is with the flavored creamers. Splenda saves me with the sugar though...make it work for you!
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I used to love my creamer and I used to use a ton of it. I started cutting back slowly and now I only use a tsp per cup. I really miss it though I know it was a completely gross amount that I used to use. I found one kind of coffee that I enjoy black so that helps some.

I still use the regular fat and sugar creamer--just less of it. I haven't tried any of the sugar free varieties and I don't like the fat free version.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Sometimes unsweetened green tea gives me the bit of caffeine I need without extra sugar, however, it's not and nor will it ever be coffee. I found it more palatable than black coffee though, and a lot easier on my stomach.

As far as what you put in your coffee, I agree that you should put less and less stuff in it. Now a days, when I mix stuff in my coffee, I like to just mix 2% milk and coffee together. I use a lot of milk. It cuts the acidity down a bit and makes it creamy. It's probably not low calorie per se, but there is still more nutrition in it than just dumping sugar and weird non-dairy creamer powder in it.