Easy meals for the non-cook

Options
I lack the ability to cook. You can just ask my husband. I have tried and tried and everything turns out awful! For example there was the time I made my husband a cake for his birthday using a boxed mix and it came out tasting like a sponge or the time I tried making frozen pizza and I followed the directions and the pizza was raw in the middle but burnt on the outside (and no it is not the oven because my husband has no issues when he cooks).

So because I lack cooking skills I heavily depend on my husband for my meals which is not good when he is out of town, working late, or doesn't feel like cooking. I really need healthy, EASY recipes that I can try so I am not running out to a fast food joint when I'm starving. Any ideas?

Replies

• Glamour60Xtreme
    Options
    Theres a SUPER easy no fail chicken recipie i use:

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 tablespoon mayo
    1 tablespoon yellow mustard
    1 tablespoon honey

Put tin foil on baking sheet first, put chicken down and put put a dash of salt/pepper on chicken and then spread the mixture on chicken!
    *Mix the mayo, yellow mustard, honey in a bowl. And spead on chicken

then bake on 350 for 30 minutes and there you go! 208 caloies per serving.

8365881.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options

1 tablespoon mayo
    1 tablespoon honey

Put tin foil on baking sheet first, put chicken down and put put a dash of salt/pepper on chicken and then spread the mixture on chicken!

then bake for 350 for 30 minutes and there you go! 208 caloies per serving.

8365881.png

That sounds great!
  • Glamour60Xtreme
    Options

1 tablespoon mayo
    1 tablespoon honey

then bake for 350 for 30 minutes and there you go! 208 caloies per serving.

8365881.png

That sounds great!

It is! It's one of my favorite recipies and it's so simple :) And the sauce is actually really good, some people say it sounds gross...but it's actually amazing! I hope you like it :)
  • AlexPflug
    AlexPflug Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I like to chop up zucchini, peppers, onions, asparagus, or whatever other veggies you have. Just sautee them in a little canola oil and season with salt, pepper, and garlic. I eat it with low-fat cottage cheese and sliced tomatoes. Because it's mainly veggies you can have a lot for very few calories. If I want to add protein, I fry a couple egg whites or chop up some turkey smoked sausage and sautee it in.
  • sar04tamu
    sar04tamu Posts: 27
    Options
    Get a crockpot and go to town! There are tons of crockpot recipes all over the place, including lots that you make in batches and freeze.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Melysa1988
    Melysa1988 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Pick up a prepared rotisserie chicken from your local supermarket, and you're halfway done with quick and healthy meal.

Try this you will love it.
    Whole Grain Chicken Wrap
    Spread guacamolen or a dip of your choice on a whole grain wrap. Top with shredded rotisserie
    chicken, tomato slices, and spinach. or any veggies of your choice. Wrap tightly, cut on a diagonal and serve with fresh fruit.

You could also use the chicken for so many other things like soup,salads,sandwiches.
  • kristycole3
    Options
    gonna try that one myself as well. Thx...
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    Shepherd's pie. A lot of calories, but still, easy.

Brown some ground beef, I use one pound of 80/20 for three people. Season it to taste with Lawry's seasoned salt. Before you drain the beef, add some corn or carrots (I use frozen). Allow them to become tender then drain the beef.

At the same time, prepare some mashed potatoes. Once again, for three people I use three potatoes. This should produce enough for the next step.

In the bottom of a casserole dish, spread your beef/veggie mixture. Spread your potatoes on top. Then sprinkle some cheese on top of that. Bake at moderate heat for 15 minutes.

Or if you are too lazy for baking, simply spoon it all together. It looks gross that way but it tastes DELICIOUS.
  • jojo4785
    jojo4785 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That sounds really good....think I am going to have to try this! Thanks for sharing!
  • AlexPflug
    AlexPflug Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Pick up a prepared rotisserie chicken from your local supermarket, and you're halfway done with quick and healthy meal.

Try this you will love it.
    Whole Grain Chicken Wrap
    Spread guacamolen or a dip of your choice on a whole grain wrap. Top with shredded rotisserie
    chicken, tomato slices, and spinach. or any veggies of your choice. Wrap tightly, cut on a diagonal and serve with fresh fruit.

You could also use the chicken for so many other things like soup,salads,sandwiches.

Good point. I bring home a rotisserie chicken and take off the meat as soon as I'm home. (It's not fun to do when it's cold) I put the meat in a tupperware in the fridge and use it in various meals. I put chicken broth, carrots, onions, celery, and some of the chicken in a pot. Cook on low until the veggies are done then add No-Yolk egg noodles. You can have quite a lot of the soup for low calories. Watch the sodium, though.
  • chrissy10taylor
    Options
    bump
  • Rachelito
    Rachelito Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Salsa Chicken

Throw chicken breasts, black beans, corn and a jar of salsa in the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Shred the chicken and serve on tortillas or rice.

Shrimp Scampi with Zucchini

Heat 1/2T butter and 2T olive oil in a pan. Add chopped onion, chopped zuchini and garlic. Saute until onion is tender. Add red pepper flakes and shrimp. Cook until shrimp is done. Toss together with a serving of whole wheat spaghetti noodles. Squeeze lemon over top.

1-36.jpg
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Definitely get a crock pot! You really can't go wrong. Get it out of your head that you can't cook. First of all, maybe the boxed cake mix was just gross. Second, that can happen to frozen pizza! Easy recipe for the crock pot is to put some salsa and boneless chicken breast in and let it cook all day on low. You can use in tacos or on a taco salad or just as is with some side dishes. Or a beef roast with some low sodium beef broth and chopped carrots, onions and sweet potatoes.
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    I had problems with cooking when I first started and I often times do still have to ask for help with it. I can at least try to help with an idea about the pizza - for frozen try to cook it at a lower temp for longer time just make sure to watch it so it doesn't get too crispy. I really enjoy tortilla pizzas, a little spaghetti sauce on a low cal wheat tortilla topped with cheese and whatever else you like on pizza, pop it in the microwave for a little while and there you go. You can put it in the oven too but I just never do. Got to love the salad things, don't have to do anything but mix it up pasta salads just cook the pasta mix up the seasoning and throw it in the fridge; fruit salad with a little yogurt too. Chicken wraps, and tuna sandwiches(I don't put mayo or anything like it in it, just mustard and pickle relish) toss a tomato and lettuce on it, great stuff! Good luck!
  • GenFo
    GenFo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Get creative with salads. No cooking required and you can tailor it to meet your preferences. There are plenty of low calorie dressings but my favorite is just lemon juice, a packet of stevia and some sea salt. I add fat in the form of walnuts or avocado and chop up any veggies we have handy (try different lettuces and cabbages, mushrooms, carrots, beets, sunflower or pumpkin seeds, baby tomatoes, snap peas).

I make HUGE salads so I'm nice and full and they are loaded with vitamins. I would be miserable with just a wedge of boring old iceburg.
  • BlazeMackMom
    BlazeMackMom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ingredients

1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
    1 (1.25 ounce) package dry taco seasoning mix (Lawerys has the least amount of sodium)
    1 lime, juiced ( I Used a lemon)
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (I used Basil and Garlic)
    3 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Directions

Place the salsa, taco seasoning, lime juice, and cilantro into a slow cooker, and stir to combine. Add the chicken breasts, and stir to coat with the salsa mixture. Cover the cooker, set to High, and cook until the chicken is very tender, about 4 hours. If desired, set cooker to Low and cook 6 to 8 hours. Shred chicken with 2 forks to serve.

I didn't shed it but cut it up and had it with salad. IT IS SUPER EASY!!! And it is REALLY good. Even my husband was surprised. My 12 year old son who is the pickiest person I know LOVED and had thirds.

I usually use my super big crock pot and double the recipe. And if you are m,aking do with what you have at home... You can mix some salsa and spaghetti sauce instead of only salsa. Its all FANTASTIC.
  • MeMountainMom
    MeMountainMom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • melissawidmer
    melissawidmer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this recipe.