Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

food traditions broken

2»

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    My Mom was British. All meat was cooked to death and covered in gravy. Vegetables were boiled until mushy and in a lot of salt and there was always a cake or ice cream or pie for dessert.

Now.... no gravy and meat is cooked until done. Veggies are stil a touch crisp with no salt and dessert consists of maybe a skinny cow ice cream or an netle mini ice cream.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Double Post....:grumble:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    um....perhaps off topic...but what the heck is chicken fried steak?:smile:
    Wow, that's funny. I never even thought that someone might not know what chicken fried steak is.

Chicken fried steak is a a steak (usually cube steak or something similar) breaded and fried. It's really yummy but really fattening!! It's usually served with cream gravy, mashed potatoes and a veggie like green beans. If you live in Texas you can't go to a resturaunt that doesn't have it on the menu.

Memaw

I love a good country breakfast!! Chicken fried steak, biscuits, gravy, scrambled eggs, sausage. Yummy. Haven't had that in years.

I am the same way! I :love: Chicken fried steak and eggs. I still get it when I visit my family in NorCal.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    We've changed so much of what we eat ---- no more fried stuff - no fried squash or potatoes now I roast them in oven with a little olive oil.

No skin on chicken. Cut the fat off meats, little to no butter, no margarine, skim milk only, no regular ranch dressing - which is good on everything in the south....no biscuits and gravy for breakfast - poached eggs or egg beater breakfast sandwich....

so many changes - so much better for me!!!
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    I think the best thing I ever did in life was learn to cook more like my great grandmother (think Julia Child) versus my mother growing up. Real food out of the backyard, no bull, meat cooked to perfection.

My mom followed way too many goofy diet fads and cooked the crap out of meat (ugh...chewy), BUT I'll give her credit that she did teach me a lot about gardening, canning, freezing, preserving...AND I can butcher a deer. Very old school, but sometimes went by the wayside in the name of low fat crazes and "diet" products. Ugh. We all would have been better off if we stuck with the old traditions versus goofy products and fake foods.

So I suppose it would depend on what traditions are worth abandoning. I'd like to throw the entire decade known as the 80s out the window. Possibly Oprah in the mid 90s also. I may possibly be scarred from the continual "kitchen purge fests" we had thanks to poor grocery shopping habits and shopping all in the name of convenience when I was a kid.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    um....perhaps off topic...but what the heck is chicken fried steak?:smile:
    Wow, that's funny. I never even thought that someone might not know what chicken fried steak is.

Chicken fried steak is a a steak (usually cube steak or something similar) breaded and fried. It's really yummy but really fattening!! It's usually served with cream gravy, mashed potatoes and a veggie like green beans. If you live in Texas you can't go to a resturaunt that doesn't have it on the menu.

Memaw

Wow! That is some meal. I had no idea....I'm French Canadian, and probably the closest relative to comfort food of this sort is Poutine...which consists of French Fries smothered in cheese curd and hot gravy...a hot mess of loveliness...but it is a once in a year or two thing for me right now, lol
    A.

Ummmm poutine :tongue: I haven't had poutine forever!!! (I too am French Canadian, can u tell? :bigsmile:
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    I'm Czech so it's totally Kraut and Dumplings!!! MMMMMMMMMMMM!!!! Only at Christmas :wink: How many more months???:noway:
  • I always have and always will be a heavy carb eater, but I intend to make that a needed item by running again (training for a 5K in 9 weeks, and plan to keep running 5Ks regularly). But I have stopped eating it four days a week like I did growing up!

My mom also used to make a lot of stuff either frying it in the frying pan on the stove, or baking it in the oven, but had so much junk on it, when she pulled it out of the oven, when we lifted the steaks off the baking sheet, there would be a puddle of SOMETHING on the sheet. I changed that as soon as I started cooking (even before my weight became an issue) and have stopped cooking just about EVERYTHING on the stove top unless it is in a saucepan (you can't bake spaghetti sauce!) or being browned. I bake just about EVERYTHING.

I refuse to add butter or grease to a pan for non-stickness... I ALWAYS use spray stuff since I use less of it. It winds up saving me money, too, since the Pam costs a bit more, I am more stingy about spraying it, whereas, the butter I had no choice but to toss it on in tabs to smear it around.

My mom used to make steak, pork chops, etc, in the oven (with the puddles) about 3-5 days a week. We usually only did chicken breasts during the summer on the grill. My husband, the red meat eater he is, will GRILL anything he can, even pancakes!! He always looks for the cuts with the least fat, and we try to keep the red meat to once a week. Depending on money and food supply, we will eat baked chicken (boneless, SKINLESS breasts) about twice a week and fish at least once a week if we have it... and he will grill the fish!!

I am also trying to get in the habit of buying fresh veggies and steaming them (although I am still keeping canned stuff in stock, and I don't like frozen veggies for some reason). I still need to invest in a better steamer!!

I WAS drinking skim milk since my ex and I split in 04, but my husband (and my ex) can't stand skim milk, (my ex refuses to buy anything but whole milk) but my husband is willing to drink 2%, and since I grew up on 2%, I am willing to drink that. But when my husband deploys in a couple months, I am switching back to skim milk til he gets home. But I already have to buy two milks because my son needs soy, so trying to stock THREE milks is just too much for me.

I also grew up on white bread, wouldn't eat anything BUT, couldn't stand the taste. Now I won't eat white, I can't stand the way it sticks to the roof of my mouth, I will only eat wheat bread!

I have also started cutting back on my milk intake overall. I used to drink it like water growing up, went through a gallon every two days when I lived alone in the barracks (plus the milk I drank in the chow hall!). Now i can make two gallons last me about three to five days depending on if it is just me and hubby, or if kids or frequent guest is here with us.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    I come from a mostly Polish, part Slovak family. I was raised on mostly butter, meat and noodles. I became a vegetarian when I was 11, that was very tough! When my mom cooks there is ALWAYS meat, rarley any side dishes, so finding a vegetable in that house is not likely....(unless its in a can)

Now that I am all grown up, I continue to avoid meat for the most part, I only eat veggies that come from a market or frozen if I absolutley must, and I save the Traditional Polish goodies for the Holidays only! I don't restrict myself at those times either....as unhealthy as it is, a nice plate of kielbasa and saurkraut, peirogi fried in butter, and some golabki.....Well its in my blood to enjoy it with some vodka to boot:drinker: , lol You can take the girl outta Poland, but you can't take the butter outta her veins, hahaha:laugh:

My father always told me that we Poles had beet juice running through our veins. But, I think you're right, it really is butter.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    I haven't given them up, I just don't eat like that very often any more. And when I do, my stomach really pays the price. But they just taste so darn good!!!

Memaw

I bought a book (on sale at the school's book fair) about making your kids eat healthier. Didn't really learn much, because I've already learned so much... Other than sometimes foods. Yes, you can have those yummy things, but only sometimes. I just like the phrasing...

Sometimes foods
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    My Mom was British. All meat was cooked to death and covered in gravy. Vegetables were boiled until mushy and in a lot of salt and there was always a cake or ice cream or pie for dessert.

Now.... no gravy and meat is cooked until done. Veggies are stil a touch crisp with no salt and dessert consists of maybe a skinny cow ice cream or an netle mini ice cream.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Im glad my mum doesnt cook like this!! :happy: Her Sunday Roasts are amazing! :love:

NB - Not all english mums cook things till the death!! ha ha! Although my nan has a habit of cooking the potatoes until they all shrivled (sp)!! :laugh:
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    My husband and I are both Mexican so we grew up eating every meal with tortillas, homemade with lard, refried beans and spanish rice. It took forever to get my hubby to stop having tortillas with every meal, we would use them as forks to pick up our food, how bad is that! I stopped making refried beans dozens of years ago and I never got the handle on making good spanish rice so hubby makes it only seldom. I just switched them over to whole wheat bread, the oldest son and hubby are okay with it but the ten year old is balking a bit, oh well. And since we only see our family once a year we don't fight eating their way for those two weeks too much. We all know that we will work it off later.

I don't feel too bad about changing our eating habits since I try to incorporate other family traditions that don't involve food into to our family's. I feel alot better knowing I am stopping the trend of obesity, diabetes and other health problems that plague our family.

Demetria
  • vanessa915
    vanessa915 Posts: 68 Member
    I too grew up in a household where dinner consisted of a meat, a veggie (usually canned or frozen), and a starch (often potatoes of some sort). My mom was (and still is) a pretty good cook. Some things were healthier than others, but we did eat a lot of red meat. Ground beef, roasts, steaks on the grill in the summer. But my dad also hunted, so many times we had venison instead of beef, so that was much healthier. Chicken was always whole pieces with the skin on. My dad still refuses to consider boneless, skinless chicken breasts actual chicken :laugh: She also made lots of soups, things like stuffed pepppers, stuffed cabbage, spaghetti, etc. But we always had white bread, never wheat. She used lots of margarine (since it was that generation that was told it was healthier than butter), and used vegetable oil in her cooking pans (or Pam spray). Salads were iceberg lettuce with full fat dressings (although she did used to make her own sometimes w/ oil and cider vinegar and spices, but not a healthy oil).

I still love my mom's cooking, and look forward to it when I go home to visit, but she's made a lot of healthier changes over the years. She uses olive oil or canola oil now. She chooses a wider variety of lettuce blends instead of iceberg. They use smaller amounts of real butter, or use a more heart healthy substitue for margarine, and they eat more fish and seafood, etc. Some things my dad will never change, like eating white bread and Velveeta cheese, but that's ok in moderation. And I've made a lot of the same changes to my own cooking. I'm still not a fan of boneless, skinless chicken breasts most of the time (I am my father's daughter, lol!) but I remove the skin from whole pieces of chicken. I steam my fresh vegetables, or roast them with olive oil. I use canola or olive oil to pan sear meats.

I still eat a lot of the favorites from my childhood, I just make them healthier if I can. And if I can't make them healthier, then I make them less often. Like I still make Thanksgiving stuffing w/ white bread and lots of butter because it just doesn't taste the same any other way - but I only eat it once a year, so I'm not worried about it.

Vanessa
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    We always baked. Home made bread, buns, cinnamon buns are impossible to resist. Then there are brownies, pies, squares (confetti squares with coconut yum!), cookies etc. Always homemade, always delicious, but dangerous in large scale consumption lol
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    We always baked. Home made bread, buns, cinnamon buns are impossible to resist. Then there are brownies, pies, squares (confetti squares with coconut yum!), cookies etc. Always homemade, always delicious, but dangerous in large scale consumption lol

:laugh:

MMMmmm... Home baking! We always used to make Cakes, Cookies, Fruit Pies, Pastries, quiches and those yummy rice krispy + chocolate nests at easter! YUM YUM!

I have adopted my mums love for baking and make some killer cakes! :blushing: Not to blow my own trumpet... The worst thing is about making them is i love the following things:-

- The cake mixture while its still raw
    - Rolled Icing (from the box)
    - Butter icing that goes in the middle
    - Alll the other little decorations...

and thats before the cake is finished!! lol i just pick away while im baking! Soooo i have stopped baking for a while! :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.