Already discouraged...

Options
Would you believe after only a week (and two days, here, on MFP!), I already feel "defeated"!?

Well... I do.

I would have thought I'd see SOME loss, by now. Instead, I'm no different. There's been no change.

I'm beginning to feel as though all my extra activity, all the better-for-me foods I've been eating (in smaller portions than usual, mind you!) is all for naught!

Help!

Have any of you gone through this?

Is it normal for there to be NO change, still?

What am I doing WRONG!? :-/

I will tell you right now, I'm feeling quite disgruntled, hopeless and alone.

I think I will simply end up having to live with all this needless weight as well as these wretched blood pressure pills for the rest of my life!

Carrie

Replies

• carrierella
    carrierella Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Would you believe after only a week (and two days, here, on MFP!), I already feel "defeated"!?

Well... I do.

I would have thought I'd see SOME loss, by now. Instead, I'm no different. There's been no change.

I'm beginning to feel as though all my extra activity, all the better-for-me foods I've been eating (in smaller portions than usual, mind you!) is all for naught!

Help!

Have any of you gone through this?

Is it normal for there to be NO change, still?

What am I doing WRONG!? :-/

I will tell you right now, I'm feeling quite disgruntled, hopeless and alone.

I think I will simply end up having to live with all this needless weight as well as these wretched blood pressure pills for the rest of my life!

Carrie
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    It always takes me 3 - 6 weeks to see results on the scale.
    It sucks, but a healthy life is worth it.
    Keep going, one day at a time. You can do it!
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Some people (like me and my mom) lose weigh slower but the good point is that they gain weigh slower as well.
    Look at it that way - once you lose, you can maintain your weigh with less effort :flowerforyou:

Good look!
  • brownieeyes03
    Options
    I can relate! I've been doing this going on my third week, and it is tuff.

My first week i lost 2 pounds

My second week 0 !!!

So i understand how you could feel discouraged. Just hang in there dont give up. Stop and think why you are doing this. And dont feel alone cause your not, if you ever just need to talk or anything im here for ya. We need all the support we can get when we are trying to lose weight. Keep your head up. Good luck!
  • mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    Options
    DON'T WORRY, THE WEIGHT WILL START TO COME OFF. WHEN I FIRST STARTED ON MARCH 21 I DIDN'T WEIGH MYSELF FOR 10 DAYS. AND GUESS WHAT, I GAINED 1 1/2 POUNDS!!! I WAS IRRITATED BUT I AM DETERMINED TO LOSE THIS WEIGHT BEFORE VACATION IN JUNE!!! I'VE NOW LOST 2 LBS. AND HAVEN'T WEIGHED MYSELF SINCE LAST FRIDAY. I'M EATING 1,200 CALORIES AND WORKING OUT 6 DAYS A WEEK! I CAN FEEL MYSELF GETTING STRONGER AND CAN EVEN FEEL SOME MUSCLE! MY PANTS ARE FEELING A LITTLE LOSE. I THINK I TEND TO LOSE INCHES AND NOT REALLY POUNDS. MAYBE YOU'RE THE SAME WAY.ANYWAY, DON'T GIVE UP! YOU CAN DO IT!! HAVE A GREAT DAY!:bigsmile:
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    Hi Carrie,

This is perfectly normal. Your body is changing to the new life style. You will see little or no fat lost in the first few weeks but there after you weight will start to drop and at some point you will stop lossing again for a few weeks. This is a slow process, but slow is good, slow means your body is less likely to put the weight back on, slow is a more perminant loss.

Realy! it might not feel like it but you are doing well. Your body is changing its weight is remaining the same at the mo but thinks are changing and the scales will show that in a week or 2 :smile:

If this was easy this site wouldn't exist.

Al
    :flowerforyou:
  • mkklutts
    mkklutts Posts: 13
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. So as you build muscle, you gain muscle weight even though you are burning fat. So, at first it sometime doesn't show on the scale.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    carrie,
    everyone's different, some lose a big chunk right at the start (usually water weight), some don't lose anything for a month. It's all based on your individual body chemistry, genetics, and routine. Give it time, this is a long term type of change. Give it 3 months, if you don't see changes by then (I have some serious doubts about that happening), then you really need to look at what you're doing and figure out what you are doing that is hurting the cause. I know 3 months sounds like a long time, but taken in the course of a lifetime, it's just a drop in the bucket. Just keep telling yourself "I'm doing it the right way". Course if you think you aren't doing it right, you should examine it and maybe talk to a professional (like a nutritionist or trainer, or even a doctor).

-Banks
  • offit70
    offit70 Posts: 2
    Options
    I wouldn't worry after 2 days. Your body is just adapting. Bear in mind that muscle weighs more than fat so it takes time for that change to take place and more importantly when you build up that muscle it will increase your metabolism. So it may start slowly but soon your extra muscle will be burning calories for you even when you are sitting doing nothing! Keep going! Every day is a day nearer to the new you!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

Try to keep up the good work..it will pay off!!
    I've been trying to loose weight for 2 yrs....I would stop and start
    This time I stuck with it and have lost over 20 pounds in 3mnths-ish

Kim
  • KathyR
    KathyR Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You will see results just keep at it. You can still enjoy the foods you like just do it in small size. Just try and stay away from anything deep fried too. We all get discuraged at times..... my time was yesterday but with others on here i got through it and todays a new bright day. You are strong and we have confidence in you and are all here for you. hugssssssssssssssss
  • carrierella
    carrierella Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Oh WOW.

I cannot *believe* all of the encouragement and support, here!

I think I'm going to like it here.

THANK YOU so very, very much. I am going to try and believe all of you and keep with it.

This is SO frustrating, though. I am one who likes to see results immediately when I undertake any endeavor. Waiting must be just another one of God's lessons for me right now! PATIENCE.

:-/

Thank you, thank you, thank you a hundred times, everyone.

Love,
    Carrie