If I'm under-eating, what's the best way to 'fix' this?

Options
I'm 35yo, 160lbs and 5' 11". I've been juicing for health (periodic fasting if juice and raw veggies only for 3-5 days) and have lost 9lbs in the process....but have also noticed that I am eating way under what I should be (bmr is roughly 1500 and tdee w 5 day a week workouts (weights, running, toga-pilates, jillian michaela etc) is 2200). I've netted in average 1200cal a day for the last month due to juicing and heavy exercise....

Yet mysteriously, my weight loss has stalled...other than the juice fasting results......I have 10lbs I'd like to lose but am making virtually no progress and am not happy that it seems like I am stuck eating nowhere close to what the "numbers" say I should-could be eating.

My question is how best to return to 'normal'??? ?Sooooo....if I am trying to eat more and play a numbers game, where do I start? Do I just start eating maintenance level (2200) starting tomorrow, gain a bunch then grafually reduce to apprpriate deficut after a few weeks? Or, Start at appropriate deficit level 1800 (400 cal deficit)?

I know others have been there done that so I would appreciate some feedback from those with experience.... :)

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I'd start eating at the 1800 calorie level.

Good luck.
  • anfmusicgrl
    anfmusicgrl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'd add 200-300, and stay there for a few days, then increase it up to the 1800 level. Only reason I say this is, it might keep you from the "shock" of a lb or 2 temporary increase on the scale. This usually happens on my "spike" days where I eat at maintenance, just because of the actual weight of the food being more on those days. But yes, as therealangd said... I'd aim for the 1800.

If you are still at a stall after 2 weeks...then play the numbers game. Increase it to maintenance, and increase calories burned..or try zig zagging your calories. With a day or two a week at the maint. calories..These are all things you can try out to get things moving again. Good luck!
  • larlab
    larlab Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've had some higher cal days that have 'spiked' my weight so I'd probably rather get it over with....just wondering if I should go to deficit or maintenance first....