One Month of No Alcohol

Options
2»

Replies

• MsFat2Fit
    MsFat2Fit Posts: 59
    Options
    Great job!!! I love to party as well; didn't drink any alcohol between New Year's and Valentine's - felt great!!!
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    big difference when you drink . I quit for 19 years when my boys were born and took it up again a few years back, but am getting tired of it already. I agree it makes for bad things afterword, weight is harder to control after drinking, poor choices the day after. I am giving it up until the 4th of July, and gonna push the weights and cardio hard until then. Health is way more important than a night of fun
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    Amen, brother! Very timely. I barely maintain a light social drinker status, at best (in recent months I may have bordered on moderate/social), yet when a lay off the hooch all elements align in a much more positive way. I most definitely achieve better fitness results, have better sleep, zero% super-nacho-at-1am sessions, no waking up with strange women- which my woman seems to appreciate, and smoke far fewer cigars.

Yesterday was my Irish Fat Tuesday and I am taking a planned separation from the fire water for a few months. After reviewing the bar receipts in my pocket this morning perhaps a week long detox session. I did not drink for three years straight during college and I was always on my A game.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!! Loved your post!!! Let us know how the next 30 days go!
  • onawhymm
    onawhymm Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I hopped on the wagon 2 weeks ago with the idea I would go for 30 days. I live on an island in the Bahamas where everyone is either on vacation or retired and all they seem to do is drink. It's easy to fall in with them. But when cocktail hour started at 4 instead of 6pm and was a nightly event - I decided I need a break so I could get back into check. I used to enjoy wine with my diner and a cocktail if I went out or had company - I would like to get back to that. Plus it's not helping me weight-loss-wise.

I have noticed many of the same good things being on the wagon - much better sleep - able to eat more food since I am not saving cals for drinks - better runs in the morning - more productive in the evenings (working on craft projects that I wouldn't have after 3+ glasses of wine!!) and best of all - weight loss.

Heading to a belated St. Patty's Day bash this afternoon and I may be the only sober guest!

Cheers!
  • Ireshgurl
    Ireshgurl Posts: 559
    Options
    Great Job!! I myself am in no way a big drinker. I'm a social drinker, and only to the point of being lightly buzzed. HOWEVER, I am a Dr Pepper addict. I know if I was to give up the Dr, I'd be able to lose weight easier. It's just soo hard because it's my only means of caffeine intake and somedays at work I NEED my caffeine!!
  • kate_sunflower
    kate_sunflower Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Good for you!!! I don't drink much but I'm one of those who goes out once in while for a friend's birthday but goes out hard :embarassed: and will usually end up drunk eating (UGHHHH) and that can set me back for a while. Finding a balance and not being all-or-nothing is hard.

I'm happy I wasn't pressured to go out drinking this St. Patty's Day because I had to work. But damn, I admire your willpower, good job!!
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the post. I scaled wayyyy back 3 months ago when I started working out and eating healthy, but lately I've had a few happy hours and went out last night for St. Paddy's day. This morning I woke up (alone... I never bring anyone home) and I have a headache and a kitchen full of fast food wrappers. Back on the wagon today. Drinking for me is definitely a diet killer... leads me to binge and hangovers aren't very motivating for working out.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

- Have not had to kick undesirable girls out of my apartment the next morning (haha)

does this mean i can have your little black book of girls number lol

i haven't had a drink in over two years
  • dcjackson50
    dcjackson50 Posts: 196
    Options
    Good for you, and I'd have to agree,.....drinking does not help with weight loss
    I think I have been fooling myself into thinking that as long as my calories are ok I can afford some wine or a shot or two of vodka after a stressful day at work.
    But like many said,....bad food choices and energy saps prevail. I lose 2-3 pounds a week,.......problem is they are the same 2-3 I gain each weekend after doing great all week.

I am going to go without drinking anything this week and think its going to show on the scale
  • living_loving_laughing2013
    Options
    Awesome job!!
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I gave it up in Feburary as well, right before the Super Bowl (timing isnt my strong suit). Best benefit is that I haven't woken up on the lawn since.
  • k_pattie
    k_pattie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ha! this post made me laugh

I was having relatively the same problems earlier this year so I decided to cut back as well - haven't had anything to drink for about a month or so either and I feel a lot better... granted next time I drink I'll probably be a lush but hey it's cost efficient so I can't really complain
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Cutting back is ok, but research is showing that moderate, regular alcohol consumption has positive health benefits. Now by moderate that means 1-2 drinks per day, not binging on a dozen drinks at a time, once a week. :laugh:

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/on-fitness/2009/07/17/the-skinny-on-alcoholic-beverages-and-weight-loss
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Actually, I do have this problem and I need to stop it too. Although, I don't usually have to kick out undesirable women! LOL...

You let them stay!?

Well it's only fair! LOL.
  • Jferg69
    Jferg69 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    bump
  • WehttamThims
    WehttamThims Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have up drinking 2 1/2 years ago and it was one of the best decisions I've made.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I struggle with alcohol, I am not an alcoholic but I am a problem drinker. I gave up for 6 months last year and felt amazing and I need to do it again soon. I'm going to try and do 30 days, starting today. there will be one night off in there, for my lover's birthday. But all in all I think that 1 day is OK.