Need help understanding please

Options
SueD66
SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
Can someone explain how mfp comes up with the number at the end of this?

Calories Remaining

Goal 1240

Food 999

Exercise - 425

= Net 574

Replies

• Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    1240 + 425 = 1665

1665 - 999 = 666

999 - 425 = 574
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    You've eaten 900 calories, but burned 425 of those away to get the 574.

You need to net 1240 in total, but you're currently netting 574.

So, you need to eat 666 more to get back to goal.
  • Lrt4uk
    Lrt4uk Posts: 174
    Options
    goal + exercise - food = net
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    or you are the devil.
  • Gigilly
    Gigilly Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories used in your exercise, 425, was added to your goal. So 425 + 1240 = 1665. Subtract the amount of calories consumed 1665 - 999 = 666 calories that you can still consume today and stay on track. :-)
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You've eaten 900 calories, but burned 425 of those away to get the 574.

You need to net 1240 in total, but you're currently netting 574.

So, you need to eat 666 more to get back to goal.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You have 666 more calories to eat to reach your goal of 1240 calories on the day. You have eaten 999 calories so far and have burned 425 calories from exercise, therefore you are at a net {calories eaten (income) minus calories burned (expenses) equals net calories (net income)}. For your current goals and input, MFP has determined that you are to eat 1240 calories without consideration of calories burned. When you do activity that burns calories, you are to eat that amount of additional calories during the day. Think of more food as your reward for exercising.

In determining your goal of 1240 calories, MFP has created and accounted for the calorie deficit that will allow you to reach your goal. It may seem counter intuitive to eat your caloried burned during exercise, but to that. Your body, among other reactions to exercise, will have a famine response if you create too large of a deficit of calories by NOT eating back your calories.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Basically what everyone has said already. It adds your exercise calories to the total number of calories that you're allowed to eat that day. The community is kind of divided on weather or not you should eat those "exercise calories" or just leave the deficit. I personally go somewhere in the middle, so I eat a few, usually about half back.
  • littlemegzz
    littlemegzz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I just go with the flow of how hungry I am or if I have a really nice dinner to whether I eat the exercise calories back or not. I also don't have a heart rate monitor, so I would rather eat half back instead of all, just in case MFP's calculation is wrong.
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    thank you all for the information, i'm still learning everyday and no i'm not the devil:(