Vitamin D. Odds are, you need more.

Options
13»

Replies

• psychopiglet
    psychopiglet Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Get sun on your FACE ARMS AND LEGS for 15 minutes each day WITHOUT sunscreen (if you're going to be out longer, put it on after your 15 minutes is up) between the hours of 10:00 am and 2:00 pm.
    That's the worst advice I have ever heard! Disregard it completely. You should ALWAYS apply your sunscreen 30 minutes before going outside. You should sue that retard for giving dangerous advice!.

Same to the person who said their doctor advised them to use a sunbed. I suspect that was probably a lie, as sunbeds are considerably more likely to kill you than cigarettes, and doctors generally try to keep their patients alive. Bad doctors do exist, however, so I will assume it was a bad doctor (who should be reported) and not a liar on this thread.
  • zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Get sun on your FACE ARMS AND LEGS for 15 minutes each day WITHOUT sunscreen (if you're going to be out longer, put it on after your 15 minutes is up) between the hours of 10:00 am and 2:00 pm.
    That's the worst advice I have ever heard! Disregard it completely. You should ALWAYS apply your sunscreen 30 minutes before going outside. You should sue that retard for giving dangerous advice!.

Same to the person who said their doctor advised them to use a sunbed. I suspect that was probably a lie, as sunbeds are considerably more likely to kill you than cigarettes, and doctors generally try to keep their patients alive. Bad doctors do exist, however, so I will assume it was a bad doctor (who should be reported) and not a liar on this thread.
    This is outdated thinking. Moderate sun exposure does not cause cancer or premature aging. Deep tans and sunburn do that. Smart sun exposure is HEALTHY. Some studies show that it even protects against skin cancer. Melanoma has been shown to decrease with moderate sun and increase with too much sun.

Vitamin D regulates your immune systems. It's benefits affect your entire body and can't be understated. This outdated perception of the sun is harming society at an astounding level. More people get ill due to lack of sun than the other way around.

I can die if I drink too much water. That doesn't mean I should never drink water again. Moderation is the key. Be smart, get your sun and avoid deep tanning and burns. Your body will thank you for it.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options

This is outdated thinking. Moderate sun exposure does not cause cancer or premature aging. Deep tans and sunburn do that. Smart sun exposure is HEALTHY. Some studies show that it even protects against skin cancer. Melanoma has been shown to decrease with moderate sun and increase with too much sun.

Vitamin D regulates your immune systems. It's benefits affect your entire body and can't be understated. This outdated perception of the sun is harming society at an astounding level. More people get ill due to lack of sun than the other way around.

I can die if I drink too much water. That doesn't mean I should never drink water again. Moderation is the key. Be smart, get your sun and avoid deep tanning and burns. Your body will thank you for it.

Thank you, Zoe. Our forefathers didn't die from regular sun exposure. It was the times of bikinis and pools and OVERexposure is what did it.

No, I'm not going to sue the dietician who gave me this advice. And oh, by the way: my mother DIED from melanoma. I use the sun in small amounts each day (15 minutes a day) to PREVENT GETTING IT.

Julie :)
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I too have a vitamin D deficiency. I had fatigue, depression, etc. I feel so much better after being on supplements. Going outside isn't always an option when you live/work in NY and the sun is only out while you are at work, not to mention it's freezing outside. Also, being in the sunlight gives me a headache for some reason.

Obviously, don't self diagnose, go to the doctor and ask them to check your levels. I found out when I switched doctors and the new doctor had a bunch of tests ran just to make sure I didn't have anything.
  • Louise1583
    Louise1583 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The advice label on my cod liver oil supplements say the RDA for Vitamin D is 200 I.U., and one daily tablet provides 100% of this.

I think I'll stick with this and the grey cloudy skies of London. No way am I getting on a sunbed! I shall forever remain pale and interesting.
  • zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The advice label on my cod liver oil supplements say the RDA for Vitamin D is 200 I.U., and one daily tablet provides 100% of this.

I think I'll stick with this and the grey cloudy skies of London. No way am I getting on a sunbed! I shall forever remain pale and interesting.
    How old is that bottle? The RDA for vitamin D was raised - I think in 2011. I believe RDA for your age is 600 IU, but check out this link for values:

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/

Remember you need to take your skin color, age, weight and location into consideration when calculating how much you get from the sun. The only real way to know is to be tested.
  • Louise1583
    Louise1583 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    How old is that bottle? The RDA for vitamin D was raised - I think in 2011. I believe RDA for your age is 600 IU, but check out this link for values:

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/

Remember you need to take your skin color, age, weight and location into consideration when calculating how much you get from the sun. The only real way to know is to be tested.

The 'best before' date is January 2013, so it's not super old...

I'm very white (and naturally blonde, despite my photos), 28, 133lb and and have always lived in cloudy grey climates. I burn within about 15 minutes of being in strong sunshine (and that's British summer sun which is mostly non-existent anyway).

So I really don't think I'd benefit from any additional sun exposure, because I'm simply not used to it. I do suffer from eczema in the winter, which I know vitamin D would improve, but regular moisturising tends to fix that anyway.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Me too. I take an additional 2000 iu daily.
  • Fit_2013
    Fit_2013 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    About 4-5 years ago my Vitamin D level was 7. I got a few Vitamin D shots,did not get retested, from Oct 2011 I have been taking 2000 units daily.
    Checked my Vitamin D level last week it was 33. I can tell you I have general sense of wellbeing, joints do hurt, but I am definetely happier,more focussed than 4-5 years ago. My doctor advised me to increase dosage to 4000 units daily .
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

My doctor got my insurance to pay for the tanning bed and the evidence is CONTRARY to everything research indicates.

The sun, nor the UV rays from the tanning bed is the problem. Burning your skin past the first layer is what is detrimental. If you gradually up your exposure and become tolerant there is nothing unhealthy about it.

These sunscreen makers have made everyone scared for no reason. Sunscreen is part of the reason so many people are Vit D deficient.

there is some evidence, largely arising from correlational studies and in vitro experiments, that particular sunscreen ingredients (such as oxybenzone, benzophenone, octocrylene, or octyl methoxycinnamate) may be paradoxically linked to increased risks of malignant melanoma, a rarer but more deadly form of skin cancer. It has also been linked to vitamin D deficiency.[1] The broad areas of concern are:

potentially carcinogenic properties of some sunscreen ingredients
    vitamin D deficiency caused by reduced exposure to ultraviolet light
    incomplete protection against the full ultraviolet spectrum combined with increased time spent in the sun
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
  • sweetdreamz6700
    Options
    I think I need to go get some bloodwork done w/ my doc......Since moving from FL to WA I've had a very difficult time w/ weight loss, always tired and grouchy etc. Something just feels "off" about me and this would make sense. Thanks for all the info everyone!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bumpin for info..thanks! I also deal with very low vitamin D myself but hadn't read all this before so I appreciate you taking time to share.:wink:
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

My doctor got my insurance to pay for the tanning bed and the evidence is CONTRARY to everything research indicates.

The sun, nor the UV rays from the tanning bed is the problem. Burning your skin past the first layer is what is detrimental. If you gradually up your exposure and become tolerant there is nothing unhealthy about it.

These sunscreen makers have made everyone scared for no reason. Sunscreen is part of the reason so many people are Vit D deficient.

there is some evidence, largely arising from correlational studies and in vitro experiments, that particular sunscreen ingredients (such as oxybenzone, benzophenone, octocrylene, or octyl methoxycinnamate) may be paradoxically linked to increased risks of malignant melanoma, a rarer but more deadly form of skin cancer. It has also been linked to vitamin D deficiency.[1] The broad areas of concern are:

potentially carcinogenic properties of some sunscreen ingredients
    vitamin D deficiency caused by reduced exposure to ultraviolet light
    incomplete protection against the full ultraviolet spectrum combined with increased time spent in the sun
    I don't disbelieve your doctor got the insurance company to pay for use of tanning beds but sadly as we all know some docs also approve of hcg as well and welcome their patients too it. My common sense tells me tanning beds for anyone is not healthy no matter if you're high risk for skin cancer or not, but that's me and what I believe to be true.

I'm not knocking you or your doctor personally but hearing someone share that a doctor okay's something like this surprises me! OK, well not really, not after hearing post after post of all the docs out there that give away handfuls of diet pills and hcg stuff. Ah! This world is crazy!:noway:
  • sjonstott
    Options
    I was very interested in the posts I read here regarding Vitamin D deficiency. I have just been diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency, with a level of 11. I, too, have been put on 50,000 IU a week for 8 weeks. I just took my first dose last Thursday, so am very anxious to see what the results will be in a few weeks. I have been so tired when I come home from work all I want to do is hit the recliner. I also have high cholesterol, so I know I need to exercise, but just don't have the energy. The posts I read here were very encouraging.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    With levels that low high dose supplementation is needed, the body does not begin to store vitamin d until your levels are greater than 40. Once you reach that mark, lower dose over the counter supplementation will suffice. A word of caution, drink water like there's no tomorrow. High dose vitamin d increases risk of kidney stones greatly! I am currently working on my second stone! Surgery to remove tomorrow. This horrible pain is worth the benefits of vitamin d however. Of course people metabolize Things differently, but I do work in medicine and see a direct correlation to ergo cholecalciferol and renal stones. Drink drink drink.
  • Jeaninedj
    Jeaninedj Posts: 43
    Options
    Mine was at 7 as well. It took four rounds of high dose vitamin d to even get it up to the low end of the normal range. I can't tell you how much better I felt. I also wasn't incorporating enough fat in my diet, so my vitamin D wasn't being absorbed. It's a learning game.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    There's a wealth of information on this thread!! I appreciate it being started and for those of you that shared what's working for you and what all you know about low vitamin D.

I believe my last test was 4 or 5. So I take it twice a day but had never heard of the very large amounts until now..that peaks my interest, I may talk to her about that out of curiosity.

Happy Spring!:flowerforyou:
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i have this same problem. just diagnosed in february. i have been on a high dose of vitamin d for a month and a half and it's helped tremendously. i feel a lot better. my levels were 26, will be getting it retested in a few months to see if this worked. i hope my level is in the 40s at least but we will see. i also live in ohio. your daily multivitamin really isn't enough. i would say everyone needs to take at least 1000 IU and those who are deficient a lot more like 2000 IU daily once they get levels under control. it is only dangerous if you take a huge daily dose like 10,000 IU daily... i think even 4000 IU daily is ok. i'm not a dr. this is based on research and talking to my dr
  • ericduffield
    ericduffield Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    After moving from Memphis TN to Duluth MN I too had to start taking Vit D. I feel better after taking 2000 IU daily :)