Help-questions for runners

Options
I have recently started to run, well its actually a jog. Anyway, I am starting out slowly, running a mile then walking a bit and then another 1/2 mile about 3 times a week. I invested in good running shoes and I started taking glucosimine/condroitin. I eat healthy already and have upped my protein. Any other advice for me. I do not have the best knees (im 42). They ache and my right hip aches a bit too after a run, otherwise I feel great. What can I do to minimize the achiness in my knees. I really want to keep doing this! Also suggest some b4 and after things to eat. I drink plenty of water already. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Replies

• maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    I have recently started to run, well its actually a jog. Anyway, I am starting out slowly, running a mile then walking a bit and then another 1/2 mile about 3 times a week. I invested in good running shoes and I started taking glucosimine/condroitin. I eat healthy already and have upped my protein. Any other advice for me. I do not have the best knees (im 42). They ache and my right hip aches a bit too after a run, otherwise I feel great. What can I do to minimize the achiness in my knees. I really want to keep doing this! Also suggest some b4 and after things to eat. I drink plenty of water already. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

I really wish I could help u, I'm 22 and have the same issue. My knees crack and pop with every step I take, it doesn't hurt but it's uncomfortable like popping a knuckle. I drink robs of water and take a woman's one a day to help with calcium but nothing works. If u find a solution to help with joint cracking/popping plz let me no :) good luck happy running
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C aids in the aborption of some protiens. Protiens are needed to repair injuries in the body, so make sure you are getting enough protien and add Vitamin C when you eat/drink it. I tell my clients to mix their protien in OJ when they are recovering from an injury. The glucosamine is great...try getting some MSM too if it is not already in your supplement.
  • afiraz
    afiraz Posts: 19
    Options
    I would suggest you stretch for atleast 10 minutes before and after your run. Stretching reduces your chances of getting cramps, and pains. Also decreases chance of muscle injury and soreness.

15335691.png
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

This may sound counter-intuitive but a lot of knee aches in running actually are a result of weak glutes & hips (I''m assuming that you don't have osteoarthritis) and some of it is merely a case of adapting to the new exercise.

Here are a few links to some exercises which may help:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-263-266-13852-0,00.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTJPb4-YOmc (one of my favourites - Dave Scott is one of my triathlon heroes)

http://www.aiasportsperformance.org/sites/32/images/file/TRAINING THE HIPS AND GLUTES(4).pdf

The other thing that comes to mind if that if you're just starting out running a mile non-stop may be a little ambitious. I'm a big fan of the walk/run method used in a lot of the learn to run programs. You start with walking 10 minutes & run for 1 & repeat 2 or three times. Then, when you feel ready go to 9 min walk 2 min run - eventually you'll be going 10 min run1 min walk which then gives you a good base to build on.

Something else.....are you warming up (dynamic stretching) before the run?

This is pretty much my warm up (you feel a little silly doing it outdoors at first...) http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-287--13442-0,00.html

and static stretching afterwards (quads, hamstrings, calves, soleus, shoulders, neck...)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you stretch for atleast 10 minutes before and after your run. Stretching reduces your chances of getting cramps, and pains. Also decreases chance of muscle injury and soreness.

15335691.png

I agree. I have also found that now that I am running 3-3 1/2 miles on my running days, I need something to eat an hour and a half to two hours beforehand or I hit a wall. I usually have a banana and that's all I need. Maybe because I run after work and the last meal I had before that is lunch, which is usually a salad and 4-4 1/2 hours before I run.
  • sarahdangar
    sarahdangar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have just started running too and am amazed you can run a mile already!! I'm using an 8 week training programme that aims to run 5K at the end of 8 weeks. I'm on week 1 and am running 1 minute, walking 2 , for 6 repetitions (the programme differs each day, with three rest days, but that is an example). I'm finding it a little easy as my fitness seems to be a bit better than that but I am happy to work up and let my body adjust to the new regime!! Good luck, I hope you find something that helps with the knees.
  • imjustlisa
    imjustlisa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i agree with the above..i tried running two years ago and ended up hurting my knee so bad that I had to recieve injections of artificial cartlige. This was all due to not doing strength training for my legs first. Your muscles support your joints and if you have no muscle builtthen your joints take a beating. Try googleing the c25k running plan. i am on week 4 right now and am doing great. I am using the app on my phone. Good luck and hit the weights for those glutes!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    So sorry guys, I should have included that I have done yoga for 2 years now and strength train/cardio 3-4 days a week. Running the 1 mile is not a problem with me probably due to the fact that I have been working out very religiously for over a year, im conditioned. I just have weak knees. I have been doing some yoga b4 to stretch out and we walk a little afterward as a cool down. thanks for your suggestions. I take a pre natal (not pregnant, just like the combination), omega 3's, gluc/condroitin, probiotic every day. I also drink a EAS high protein shake which has 17g prot per serving once a day.........
  • nicakk01
    nicakk01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    May sound silly but a good adjustment from my chiropractor weekly helps my running tremendously! I always tell him without him I wouldn't be able to keep my passion for running going strong.
  • chrisdykes
    Options
    When I first starting running 3 miles or more, my knees hurt so bad I thought I couldn't continue. It turned out to be Iliotibial Band Syndrome. This may not be your problems, but watch for this. It's easy to dismiss knee pain as "bad knees," but it could be IT Band Syndrome. The best prevention is some very specific stretches. Just do a web search for it and you'll find lots of information.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys, I will incorporate a vit C with my gluc and im in the process of checking out the websites/info you gave me......
  • mhsrnmz
    mhsrnmz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Consider Vibrams. I got knee pain while upping my mileage, and shifting LOL! I switched to Vibrams my knee pain went and stayed away. They are also less expensive per mile compared with traditional running shoes. You want to go slowly at first because different muscles are used with barefoot running, but that is what protects your knees. Good Luck!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    There is a good chance your cartilage has broken down in your knees. Your hip pain may be bursitis. I have both....I'm only 27, and the pain can be debilitating at times. I never fully run more than a mile without walking at least half a mile after and then continue the routine. Wear the most cushioning shoes possible, try a knee brace and look up supplements. Best of luck.
  • anewton04
    anewton04 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you are running! My favorite exercise. I noticed focusing several days a week on strength leg exercises (lunges and more lunges) significantly helped my running. The strength of your leg muscles will really help your run and your knees. I also hurt my knees running but started back up slowly with incorporating the strength exercises and I haven't had any problems in months. I just ran 6 miles yesterday non stop a little over an hour! I have an old workout DVD that focuses on leg exercises. Good Luck!