Youth Sports - Parents perspective needed

Options
learning2fly4
learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
In addition to my full time job, I coach youth girls lacrosse.

There are two things that seriously trouble me as we get into the season, and I would like some parent perspective.

1. How do you determine what activities your child gets involved in during a season? Do you schedule them for 2-3 different activities or groups at a time? How does that make you feel when they don't get playing time/exposure bc of missed practice time?

2. Being that this is a fitness/healthy well being site: How do you prep your kids for practices or games in the sport season?

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent, but I think kids should only be in one activity at a time. I don't think kids have a good childhood if they're being shuffled off to sports or music or whatever. If they're missing your practices for another activity and aren't getting playing time as a result, it's too bad but that is the way it goes. You have to go to practice to be able to play. If kids aren't getting playing time, I think you just have to tell their parent, "Look, I can't put them in when they miss practice all the time. Perhaps they need to cut back on other activities or make this their primary activity."
    Kids are too over scheduled these days. Again, I think one activity at a time suffices. They could do hockey in the winter, then piano when hockey is over, but I think there is a limit. Kids aren't allowed to be kids anymore.
  • Jcoveny2
    Jcoveny2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a parent and coach of a very active athlete. He plays soccer all year round, runs cross country in the summer and fall and plays basketball in the fall through to spring. He also participates in academic games and the chess team. However school always comes first! If the grades suffer then the sports are curtailed. Fortunately he is an excellent student. So in answer to your question, they should play no more than they can handle.
    As far as playing time you should discuss the issue with the parent/coach and establish what you/they expect. Up until high school the coaches should understand that they are playing multiple sports and missing a few practices will not hurt them too much. As long as they are doing some kind of athletic event they will continue to grow as an athlete. However once in high school I feel they must commit to a sport and participate fully. Now that is not to say they can’t play more than one sport but they must prioritize.

For the fitness aspect I feel it depends on the sport, the age of the child and the level of competition! But here is an example for a 12 year old cup soccer player. Obviously the soccer practice, some running, a little plyometric exercise, wind sprints, 20 min of ball handling a couple times a week. Plenty of sleep and good nutrition (tough to do with kids) lots of peanut butter and jelly. I hope this helped you some. Thanks for taking time with the kids and best of luck to you.
  • sherrillg
    sherrillg Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My kids are all grown now (youngest in college) but all three were multi-sport athletes. School was ALWAYS the priority. We allowed them to pick and choose what they wanted to do, the only "rule" was that if you started something, you finished the season. Then if you didn't like it, you never do it again. My son and middle daughter were both on world level hockey teams and competed internationally. Same daughter also played select (year round) soccer (which she earned scholarship to pay for college) as well as three school sports a year. The only conflict we encountered that we couldn't work around was when she went to Worlds in Chile right smack in the middle of her senior year soccer season! The choice to go cost her the "player of the year" award for the district because although she had the most goals and most assists, they didn't feel they should give it to her because she missed 3 games. It was a little hard on her at the moment but now (6 yrs later) she says she is so glad she chose to have that experience.

Obviously from my personal experience I think it is fine to allow kids to compete in as many sports as they feel they want to. I ran my car into the ground chauffeuring my kids from place to place...and I wouldn't change a thing about it. They are only young for a very short time and this is really the only time they have to explore all sorts of activities. (they also participated in arts, music, and language classes/programs and all were exchange students during high school). My kids learned so much more from sports than just the act of the game. They learned time management and scheduling, management techniques, and definitely a great work ethic.

I never prepped my kids for their activities as most were ongoing (or at least one was). Providing them with positive role models and plenty of opportunity seemed to work pretty well. All three are still quite active although they have pretty well settled into one main adult level sport but still participate in a variety of activities on a regular basis.
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your perspective. I really appreciate it.