too much vitamin c

Options
so im flipping thru my diary and while i'm doing good give or take im noticing that i'm consistantly in the red for vitamin c. so im curious is there any problems with too much vitamin c?

Replies

• HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    Well I hope not, I am always in the red with my vitamin intake....
  • sammanchester
    sammanchester Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Nope, think it's just the fat soluble vits that cause a problem if you take too much.
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it can give you digestive troubles, but its not toxic.
  • Pizzagirl50
    Pizzagirl50 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on vitamin A. If anyone knows the answers whether or not this is ok, let us know. I'm assumng it's ok becasue they are vitamins?? :laugh:
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. Of course I'm no dr, but I'm pretty sure that vitamin C is one of the ones where if your body has excess it just "gets rid of it" ( you pee it out lol, that why your pee may be very yellow). Now I wouldn't go eating a whole bottle of vitamin C pills, but I'm sure getting a little more than you need on a daily basis won't hurt you :)
  • chic_mama_25
    Options
    I'm always over on vitamin A. If anyone knows the answers whether or not this is ok, let us know. I'm assumng it's ok becasue they are vitamins?? :laugh:

nope, vitamin A is one of the ones where it is not safe to take too much.
  • Kristiina67
    Kristiina67 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Nope, you will just pee it out :laugh:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-c/AN01801

For adults, the recommended upper limit for vitamin C is 2,000 milligrams (mg) a day. Although too much dietary vitamin C is unlikely to be harmful, megadoses of vitamin C supplements may cause:

Diarrhea
    Nausea
    Vomiting
    Heartburn
    Abdominal cramps
    Headache
    Insomnia
    Kidney stones
    Remember, for most people, a healthy diet provides an adequate amount of vitamin C.
  • jumptothebeat
    jumptothebeat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was suffering with a low immune system and was advised by my GP to take vitamin c supplements ( and zinc). But, since I changed my eating habits for the better I noticed I started getting heartburn (never suffered with it except during pregnancy) and realised that my daily intake of vitamin c was being maxed out with my food never mind adding my tablets on top. So, now I don't take my supplements anymore and feel much better. I'm always in the red but it doesn't do me any harm and in fact my immune system is going great guns now.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

nope, vitamin A is one of the ones where it is not safe to take too much.
    Not quite. There are two types of vitamin A. You can get it from animals or plants. If it's vitamin A from animals, you can overdose and it's toxic. However, if you get it from plant sources, it's in the form of beta carotene, and the body only converts beta carotene into vitamin A as needed, so that version you can't overdose.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    2000 Mg of viamin C is more than 20 times the RDA. Unless MFP is showing something like 2000%, the original poster shouldn't worry.
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I learned in my nutrition class that as long as your excess is coming from foods, and not supplements, then you are unlikely to reach a toxic level of any vitamin. So just be careful with the supplements you take if you are meeting your goals through adequate nutrition. :)
  • pcb19697
    pcb19697 Posts: 3
    Options
    the ones to worry about are the fat soluble vitamins: A, D, E, and K
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-c/AN01801

For adults, the recommended upper limit for vitamin C is 2,000 milligrams (mg) a day. Although too much dietary vitamin C is unlikely to be harmful, megadoses of vitamin C supplements may cause:

Diarrhea
    Nausea
    Vomiting
    Heartburn
    Abdominal cramps
    Headache
    Insomnia
    Kidney stones
    Remember, for most people, a healthy diet provides an adequate amount of vitamin C.

This.

If this happens to you, just back off on the amount you're taking to one that doesn't cause these symptoms
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Dr's often use 50,000mg of Vitamin C. A few grams will do nothing.
  • Quel1970
    Quel1970 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

According to MedlinePlus:

If you get too much vitamin A, you can become sick. Large doses of vitamin A can also cause birth defects.
    Acute vitamin A poisoning usually occurs when an adult takes several hundred thousand IUs of vitamin A. Symptoms of chronic vitamin A poisoning may occur in adults who regularly take more than 25,000 IU a day.
    Recommended Intakes for Individuals of Vitamin A:

Adolescents and Adults (RDA)
    Males age 14 and older: 900 mcg/day
    Females age 14 and older: 700 mcg/day
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    The worst vitamin A will do is give vomiting or the squirts. There has been dosing on even kids that show this. Seriously the RDA's are at best in the most part laughable.
  • sammanchester
    sammanchester Posts: 32 Member
    Options