how do you get yourself to work out?

Options

Replies

• wjranch
    wjranch Posts: 152
    Options
    I have a folder of motivational and inspirational photos. You can find many of them at Simplyshredded.com ........ I find that gets my *kitten* in gear when I'm feeling the "itis" .........
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy doing! Then you do it because you WANT to and not because you HAVE to :D
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    I have specific goals that give my workouts purpose. For example, "I want a firm butt" - to get there I need to do lunges, squats, and incorporate some cardio as well. I also take pictures frequently and I track little successes here and there. Both things help keep me focused and wanting to keep working out.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I think for some people the hard part is just getting ready to work out. Putting on all your workout clothes and lacing up shoes, grabbing ipod and water, and for some people having to travel to the gym. But once I talk myself into doing all that, even if I'm not in the mood, I find I just can enjoy myself in the moment of whatever activity I am doing and I always feel great afterwards for hours.
  • nattou
    nattou Posts: 14
    Options
    My main motivation at the moment is pretty much the fact that I'm training for Warrior Dash this summer, and ultimately for Spartan Sprint 2015 and Tough Mudder 2016. So giving my lazy butt a goal to complete something's really helping me out.

But before that, I told myself things like, "Bro, an hour's not even that bad".
    I'd divide my time up into minutes as small as 15 minutes and do each machine for 15 minutes.
    It doesn't feel as if I've been on the treadmill for God knows what, and it doesn't bore me.
    I also have the tendency to look at the amount of time I have left on each machine so...
    it really does help me LOL.

Sigh.
  • gwmedicgod
    gwmedicgod Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    By just Looking in the Mirror and knowing it isn't gonna change by itself.... we all hated to do it in the begining but it has to be done...
  • rookmb
    rookmb Posts: 84
    Options
    Before I go to bed every night, I make sure my workout clothes are on the chair in my bedroom. The first hour, while I'm riding the stationary bike, I listen to music. After that, I head for the pool. Once you set your own routine, and see the changes in your body, you will be looking forward to it every day. Good luck!!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    You will NEVER regret a WORKOUT. You WILL regret NOT working out!
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    I find the best way to get myself to work out is just to get my workout clothes on! If I can get my workout gear on then I will workout for sure. I have them laid out for easy access, with ipod, headphones and HRM right beside them. Might sound a bit silly, but it works for me! Just get dressed in your sweats & runners as fast as you can, and go go go !
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I look at my stomach...bwahahaha

Seriously. Why do you want to lose weight? Let that motivate you to get moving. At least a 30 minute walk a day....
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You will NEVER regret a WORKOUT. You WILL regret NOT working out!

Seriously.
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I remember how good I feel after the gym.. working out is the only thing I can think of that I always regret skipping and I never regret doing.

However I admit while I like being at the gym, I hate actually going there. Those few minutes driving to the gym is usually filled with excuses in my head as to why I should just go straight home instead. I'm my own worst enemy
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Each day counts and each day can bring me closer to my goal. I don't always feel like working out, but I try to do something each day so that I stay on track.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I don't really enjoy working out...

I don't enjoy working for a living, but the bills aren't going to pay themselves!!!
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Every time I work out, I leave the gym feeling tired but GREAT. I remember that feeling and go after it again. I have never met a workout I didnt like.
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio too. Even after about 6 weeks of working out 5-6 times a week, it is still a challenge getting myself to take the elevator downstairs to get on the elliptical crosstrainer in the gym in my condo (yes it's a huge burden for me to get all the way to the gym . . .). I actually don't mind the strength and core training, but hate the cardio. I even cried today while on that damned machine. Really pathetic i know. But i skipped it yesterday and am beating myself up about it today.

But i always, absolutely always feel better for having worked out.

Anyway, if you figure out some magical spell to make you love it, make sure you share it!!
  • Rockontoothpicks
    Options
    I hated doing exercise at first too. It is the first dreaded week that is what discourages people. So I fooled myself to work out without thinking too much about it. I use to walk around the mall. I was burning calories but I wasn't THINKING ABOUT IT and made it feel like work.
    I would get on my stationary bike and close my eyes and play my MP3 player and make myself not open my eyes until 8-10 songs (so I wouldn't obsess over the slow moving clock)
    Now that I have gotten used to working out I enjoy it but I still do things to take my mind off of it. I play my X-Box as I pedal on my bike (and I did the bike for an entire hour today) I couldn't have done it if I thought about it too much
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    accidentally posted twice
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    Stick a fully prepped gym bag in your car every morning when you leave the house. Accept the fact that it is a chore, and is uncomfortable frequently, and then don't come home from work or school until you have gone!
    I find, when I am in a rut, sometimes going to one of the classes, even though they don't provide as much of a workout as a day of heavy lifting and running, it better than nothing and good for my outlook.
    Also, signing up for things... like a 5k, or a class (for me, it's aerial arts) that requires some fitness that is just above your current level, will help motivate you.
    And log everything you do! Keep track of the progress.

Once I realized that I even though I might crave exercise on my rest days, the pain of lifting and running still left me making excuse after excuse to not go.
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    I pack my clothes so I don't go home until I have been to the gym. If I go home, I know I will make an excuse to not work out. Download some really good music and listen to it if you are on the machines. Vary your workout so you don't get bored. Try new things...you may just find something you love that will get you to the gym because you want to...have you ever tried classes? I love to try new classes & you are done with an hour workout before you know it...my gym also has competitions to keep people motivated & that is really getting me there these days. Good luck!