Replies

• Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    oh bummer!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's going to be different for everyone - generally I think exercise can really help cramps but if it is too bad and you miss one day it's not the end of the world. Just get out there again tomorro.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If you have cramps, then only do a light to moderate exercise. Heavy exercise can worsen your cramps.
    I usually do only 30 minutes (where normally I work out for an hour), and I keep it light. And if I am not feeling it, I skip a couple of workouts. One or two missed workouts a month will not make or break you new healthy lifestyle. Remember most of losing or maintaining weight is from a healthy diet anyway. As long as you are consistently making way more good choices (with food and exercise), than bad, you will be fine.
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    painkillers, work thru the pain, in my thoughts exactly on bloating...i look like a f***king whale and i want it gone!!!! (even tho it just bloating)
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I find that cardio helps get rid of cramps. Pick a workout dvd with an uplifting instructor. Think of your workout time as "me" time (the same way you'd think of a bath or a bowl of ice cream and a movie).

I get really bad cramps some months, so bad that advil does nothing. But working out helps!
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    I take ibeprofin and I tell myself I'll feel better after, I swim/water jog, get on the elliptical bike, sometimes I'll do zumba or kickboxing or running/race walking and it helps me a lot, I have more energy and it helps me sleep better.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    When I first was getting cramps this month, I decided to go for a run (like, my first run of the YEAR!). At the end of my run, I was cramping really bad, but half way through my cool down walk, the cramps disappeared. I will definitely try this again next month! So, yeah... I just went for it. Determination. And some pain-killers when necessary. Good luck!
  • JMCD86
    JMCD86 Posts: 12
    Options
    Try magnesium, that really helped me :smile: this way you don't have to take pain killers and it prevents them if taken daily
  • ceruleanmuse
    ceruleanmuse Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't - my endometriosis gives me severe chronic pain and exercise-inflammation only makes it worse. I'll either wait until NSAIDs work or the pain has gone down.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    exercise has done wonders for my cramps (used to be really bad now I don't even have to take advil:)) and for some reason I feel stronger/hit more PRs during my period
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    exercising through the cramps is easy, this month I actually got sick to my stomach though, and I did have to leave my workout which I never do.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Only time I had cramps were my first 2 cycles, after that nothing. However, during those cycles - and my friend still says it's true, exercise will help diminish or stop them altogether while you're working out so wimping out of it may have made you more uncomfortable than if you would have
  • lilyann001
    lilyann001 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Every woman is different when it comes to cramps. Some people get really bad painful cramps, other mildly painful. I normally have mildly painful, sometimes extremely painful cramps. I always take it a lot easier when I am on my period because you get more tired and easily sore when on your period (completely normal symptoms). Just go by what your body feels. Your body is trying to communicate with you what is best for it, it's just about listening to it. What I normally do is take pain reliever pills, then do a lighter version of my regular exercises. I find that light exercise helps relieve cramps, but too much exercise makes me feel worse. lol.