doing housework.... does this count as exercise?

Options
Hi, I was just wondering if we could include housework as exercise. I zip round doing my cleaning, hoovering etc and it can bring on quite a sweat!! I know there is no way to calculate this in terms of using calories but say i'm near my calorie allowance for the day but have done a shed load of housework, can i factor in maybe going over my allowance for this? Today for example, have polished, hoovered all downstairs, two loads of washing, including going to the garage to put it in the dryer, cleaned the bathroom and kitchen. Any thoughts on this appreciated.x

Replies

• itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    There is a selection under cardio for cleaning - I think there's heavy cleaning and light cleaning.

If you think your cleaning is a significant effort and you want to count it, that's up to you (just make sure you aren't already taking it into account when you select your activity level).

I am warning you though - this is a hot topic here on MFP. The last two threads I saw that debated this very issue got very heated. So be prepared! :)
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    personally i don't include housework as it's something i do every day and always have when i set up mfp i took into account my general exercise each day iykwim so i guess it depends on what you set yourself up as whether or not mfp have already factored in this kind of exercise

sorry don't think i've made sense

could you go for a walk or something to give you some extra cals?
  • Dimplybutt
    Dimplybutt Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I say if you break a sweat then count it ... if you don't break a sweat, it don't count. :smile:

I'm not sure about how well the calories burned are counted within the selections of cleaning seeing as we all burn calories at a different rate so, if you don't have one, see about getting a HRM to give you the correct number. :flowerforyou:
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It is certainly better than sitting and doing nothing. Seems like it would be some sort of exercise to me. Not sure on how many calories are burned etc.
    But I like bfbooty's post that if it is something she does and has done anyway, then maybe add something else to it.
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't log regular housework as exercise, but that is just for the day-to-day stuff. If I move all the furniture and shampoo the rugs (we're talking 2+ hours easy) I think I'd probably log that. The regular cleaning just doesn't seem to me to be exercise, as I think of it.

I'll second what others said, though, about considering whether you set your activity level to take it into account.
  • huskamute
    huskamute Posts: 17
    Options
    cheers for the replies, didn't realise it was a hot topic..... yikes!!!! I was just wondering really as i work nights so don't do housework every day like i do on my days off.
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor when I've a lot to do! Last time I burned over 400cals in 90 miins. If its every day housework I don't bother
  • jhartram
    jhartram Posts: 165
    Options
    I claim my cleaning as exercise (if for no other reason than to have it noticed), but I have my settings adjusted accordingly. I put myself down as sedentary, and I log my walks and my cleaning and my yard work in addition to my 30DS and Zumba. That way on the weekends when I do nearly nothing (except CONSTANTLY remind my kiddos not to kill their sibling) I eat accordingly. If I decide it's time for spring cleaning and kick butt, I eat accordingly. It works for me... about 2 pounds a week dropped.

Also, I log ALL my cleaning as "light to moderate effort" just in case the burn numbers are high. I reserve "heavy effort" cleaning for when I'm packing because I'm not just cleaning I'm also moving boxes and furniture... and I usually don't eat ALL my cleaning calories back... closer to half if I even get that far (and I usually don't).

Good luck!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I got an HRM last week and wore it this weekend during my deep cleaning and counted it because it is the only exercise I was getting.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Be careful using what MFP has set for housework........I clean houses for a living and if I really burned that many calories I wouldn't have to watch what I ate at all.
  • bfbooty
    Options
    cheers for the replies, didn't realise it was a hot topic..... yikes!!!! I was just wondering really as i work nights so don't do housework every day like i do on my days off.

the way i see it is if it's in your normal day to day activity i would never count it e.g
    if i walked every day to work and always have i wouldn't count that as exercise i would take it in account when setting my activity level, i had set my activity level at sitting down all day every day i'd count it but i think i set mine as being moderately active (not sure the wording they used) cos i am apart from when feeding baba (like i am now) on my feet most the day picking up toys cleaning spills doing laundry hoovering cooking washing dishes e.t.c it's in my normal day iykwim
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to believe you break a sweat doing housework, unless your air conditioning isn't working and it's hot out. Sorry, but I do housework, heavy cleaning housework every weekend (laundry too!) and I don't break a sweat. I think only real exercise should be counted. Like going to the gym and doing cardio classes. You have to really push yourself to get your heart rate up. That's exercise. Just my opinion.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I only track intentional exercise. Everything else I consider "normal daily activity". I try to keep in mind that if it's an activity that i did regularly and still managed to get this fat, it's probably not worth counting.

I also agree with being wary of MFP's calorie counts for any cardio exercise, as they tend to be inflated.
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    I think the 'break a sweat' way of counting exercise is a little wonky. I can go on a long hike and remain dry or eat lunch on a humid day and be schwetty.

House work as exercise? Meh, I say no. I would say lawn mowing a largish yard or pulling weeds is extra calories though...
  • bfbooty
    Options
    It's hard for me to believe you break a sweat doing housework, unless your air conditioning isn't working and it's hot out. Sorry, but I do housework, heavy cleaning housework every weekend (laundry too!) and I don't break a sweat. I think only real exercise should be counted. Like going to the gym and doing cardio classes. You have to really push yourself to get your heart rate up. That's exercise. Just my opinion.

before i started exercising again i was so unfit so yea i'd have sweat when cleaning lol :blushing: not really now though i do a bit when lugging baskets of laundry up and down the stairs and hoovering the stairs, i still don't count it in though lol
  • bfbooty
    Options
    I only track intentional exercise. Everything else I consider "normal daily activity". I try to keep in mind that if it's an activity that i did regularly and still managed to get this fat, it's probably not worth counting.

I also agree with being wary of MFP's calorie counts for any cardio exercise, as they tend to be inflated.

lol exactly i'm still fat even though i break my *kitten* every day cleaning - or maybe i just ate too much he he he
  • blackberrysmom
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't log regular housework as exercise, but that is just for the day-to-day stuff. If I move all the furniture and shampoo the rugs (we're talking 2+ hours easy) I think I'd probably log that. The regular cleaning just doesn't seem to me to be exercise, as I think of it.

I'll second what others said, though, about considering whether you set your activity level to take it into account.
  • blackberrysmom
    Options
    That makes sense. Moving furniture, not your everyday chores.
  • Hayter2013
    Options
    I log mine in, especially if I were to clean the whole house on a Sunday (when permitable) and it keeps me busy for hours, back and legs usually aching so I feel like I've been at the gym! Very tired afterwards! I burned something like 600 cals in 5 hours cleaning, but its all dependant on your current weight. I usually do it as "Heavy" for vacuuming and "Light" for like tidying up etc. The way I see it, you may as well log as much as you can when you are not sitting on the couch etc. I log in for cooking, cleaning, ironing and looking after my son (although he's 30lb odd, on here the only option for carrying a baby is 15lb) I definately notice a difference in how I feel once I've done these things, I mean, even carrying my son upstairs kills my arms!!
    I don't get a chance to "exercise" per say as in going to the gym as I am at work all day, then my son is in bed at 7:30, myself around 10pm, so in that time I have things such as cleaning, washing, ironing etc... (as well as trying to give myself a break to wind down after work!!) I add these calories in but do try not to want to "eat them"
  • Keisha2BFitAgain
    Keisha2BFitAgain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I only count the cleaning that I do once a week that takes more than 2 hrs and consist of cleaning the entire house from top to bottom (involves a lot bending, stretching, lifting,etc). Usually after that I feel like I have done at least a hour of hard core Zumba :laugh: . I do not count the everyday dusting, vacuuming, etc.