Milk substitutes question.

Options
I'm not allergic to dairy or anything but I LOVE to drink milk. I find it thirst quenching and yummy. Trouble is I know Im wasting calories and adding fat and sugar to my diet without that feeling of saity I need to keep me off the junk.

Do any of you have any experience with making a switch? Good? Bad? I'm starting out wth oat milk as a tester for this week.

Any advice?

Oh and please don't tell me to just stop drinking it. If my will were that strong I would be a healthy lean athlete and not more representative of the milks' original packaging.....mooooo :)

Replies

• aoney
    aoney Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do have a lactose allergy and used to enjoy milk in cereal. I use rice milk as it is the closest consistency that I have found. I use the origional flavor.
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I drink both soy and oat milk :) they are great for smoothies, too!
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk
  • nebulinda
    nebulinda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about the fat, switch to skim milk. I actually like skim milk better, it tastes colder, if that makes sense. I don't especially like soy milk as a cow's milk substitute because I find it tastes too planty. I've seen a lot of people suggest almond milk, which seems like it would be tastier than soy milk, but I haven't tried it so I can't vouch for it.

I am also a milk lover and refuse to give it up, so I just drink skim milk and/or drink it out of a smaller glass.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with drinking milk! It's a good source of protein, lactose is a good sugar our body knows what to do with (unless you're intolerant of course), and it's really not that high in fat. Plus you can get lower fat and non fat varieties. If you're going to drink some calories anyway, why not drink milk?
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with drinking milk! It's a good source of protein, lactose is a good sugar our body knows what to do with (unless you're intolerant of course), and it's really not that high in fat. Plus you can get lower fat and non fat varieties. If you're going to drink some calories anyway, why not drink milk?

I guess its just a much the amount of it that I drink. Also, I struggle to get low ft milk here. There is a choice of 3.5% or 2% in our local store.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Borden makes a higher protein milk that may keep you full longer. That way you can still enjoy regular milk and get a bit more bang out of the cals.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    +1 on the almond milk.
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Skim milk. I also like unsweetened coconut milk (50 cals/serving).
  • kpwatson
    kpwatson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerent, and I drink the vanilla flavored the 8th continient soymilk. I also have an almond allergy so almond milk is out. rice milk is more $$. So therefore, this is my pick for best tasting soymilk ( I can actually drink it out of a glass). hope this helps, it is an acquired taste.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I too drink skim milk, but love vanilla almond milk, unsweetened for my cereals or to mix in anything that calls for milk...
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Will give the almond milk a go next week then. Im enjoying the oat milk (had it in my tea this afternoon) so far and it seems to have better health benefits than soy. Im not swapping anyone else in the family though. The triplets drink loads of milk, it lucky we live next to a dairy!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is delicious! :drinker:
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Love the almond milk, expecially the "unsweetened" 40-cals / cup variety. My wife won't drink it alone, but she'll enjoy it in milk.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is the winner in my opinion. It is relatively cheap to buy and super easy to make at home.
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I agree with the almond milk and coconut milk. I also drink flax milk (Flax USA makes a few flavors), orginial flavor.
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I found the 0% milk in Germany along with the other homogenized milks. Never found it in the cooling sections along with other fresh milk.

I wonder if it is hard to change from cow's milk to milk alternatives because I did not like the almond milk but did love the chocolate soy milk.

I am think now that I haven't been drinking milk in a while, I may give almond and/or rice milk a try :)

Good Luck
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    Do they sell almond milk in regular grocery stores? I have been meaning to buy it and i did not see it in my grocery store.
  • jpinge
    jpinge Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond mikl....35 calories and no sugar!
  • RyanPerry2012
    RyanPerry2012 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have substituted Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk into my shakes, which cuts ~60 calories and ~12g of sugar per cup. Considering I drink 2-3 shakes a day, this adds up. However, just for plain old drinking it straight, I can't stand anything but real milk (I use 1%). The above tastes like crap unless it's in a shake IMO.