Fish Fry

Options
Carrot1971
Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
So I "volunteered" to work the Fish Fry at my daughter's school this past Friday. The 8th grade class is earning money for the field trip this spring. I have never been more disgusted in my life with the kitchen practices. There is a high end caterer who has exclusive rights to the kitchen in the school. Its "their" kitchen and nobody can use. Consequently, they cook for every event at the school. Well, when I went into the kitchen to help serve food I was shocked to see how they plated the food. Sweaty guys grabbing fried fish with BARE hands after wiping the sweat from the forehead with the forearm..GROSS! Women slopping macaroni and cheese and cole slaw onto plates making it a mess. The worst was one ticket came back with no cole slaw, after the lady had already slopped some one. Cole slaw was everywhere on the plate. She scrapped it back off into the bowl and proceeded to take a towel that she had been using all night to wipe her hands with and wiped down the plate and the fish to get the cole slaw off. OMG! They got orders wrong all nigh long. Food would come back constantly. And they BLAMED us. We just served the plates and were VOLUNTEERING our time, not getting paid for our efforts. I will never eat at another event this company caterers....gross.

Replies

• kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    Ugh! I've seen similar stuff happen. So much for that mandatory food service training, huh?
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    This is the place that your DAUGHTER EATS!!! You need to talk to the superintendant (sp?), principal, ANYONE that will listen... that's gross! :noway:
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    EW! I've seen that kind of stuff before, except I kind of have a big mouth....... :blushing: OOPSS! I always say something right then and there, no need for them to continue to practice that way.
  • rundgrenfan
    rundgrenfan Posts: 211
    Options
    sounds like a good reason to brown bag it to school!
  • weight2go
    weight2go Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would talk til someone listened. Some poor child is going to get very sick. And who knows if they havent already. Ask some of the other parents that were with you and saw this things to also speak up. Its not just gross, thats nasty!:mad: :angry:
  • Carrot1971
    Options
    We were all appauled. My kids pack a lunch for school. The principal knows about it as does the owner of the catering business. Nobody seems to care. I hate to go public...
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    make a Facebook page with a title to their place. Also, could go into tripadvisor or yahoo or any of those places with restaurant listings and ratings and mention it. I would make another email address for that though, you don't want retaliation through YOUR accounts.
  • Carrot1971
    Options
    make a Facebook page with a title to their place. Also, could go into tripadvisor or yahoo or any of those places with restaurant listings and ratings and mention it. I would make another email address for that though, you don't want retaliation through YOUR accounts.

I've actually considered something similar to this. The problem being this is a fund raiser for the kids of the school. I'd hate for them to lose money (or me be retaliated against) because there is nobody responsible in the kitchen. I did speak with the principal and he is "going to address it". I work it again on the 30th so hopefully they will be fully stocked with gloves.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i would call the health dept. this sounds disgusting. i dont like dealing with the school directly, they're out to protect themselves, not out for the best interest of the kids. so go to the health dept. no harm in doing that..
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    When someone gets really sick I'd hate to see you kicking yourself in the ars for not speaking up. The school will find another way to raise money....I promise.