Net Calories During Pregnancy

Options

Replies

• SkinnyRuthy
    SkinnyRuthy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm toying with this today too. I just found out I am pregnant and don't have a doctor's appointment for 5 weeks . . a lot can happen in 5 weeks! I don't want to go too low but I don't want to go too high either . . . hmmm, what's that perfect number??

Aww, that's great :)
    I didn't change much during my 1st trimester. The key is to definitely not go crazy and eat everything you see---I believe half of the cravings we get are real and the other half are all in our head :)
    For pregnancy starting out at a healthy weight, you're supposed to gain 2-5lbs.
    If you are starting out overweight, 1-4lbs.

I don't remember what it is for underweight or obese.

Best wishes!! Just do lots of research---that's what i've been trying to do up to this point---just been struggling with the calories vs. net calories issue these days, myself :)
  • I_GoT_ThIs
    I_GoT_ThIs Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor at about four months(i'm almost 8 now) about calories because I didn't want to gain too much weight. She told me that if I stayed in between 1800-2200 I would be good and shouldn't gain too much weight. That's pretty much what the diabetics follow and she said that was a good place to be. So far it's been working pretty well. I've gained 15 pounds so far. Would be less but I had a six pound month last month! Now i'm gaining about 1/2 a pound a week.
  • SkinnyRuthy
    Options
    I asked my doctor at about four months(i'm almost 8 now) about calories because I didn't want to gain too much weight. She told me that if I stayed in between 1800-2200 I would be good and shouldn't gain too much weight. That's pretty much what the diabetics follow and she said that was a good place to be. So far it's been working pretty well. I've gained 15 pounds so far. Would be less but I had a six pound month last month! Now i'm gaining about 1/2 a pound a week.

Wonderful information. Thank you! And congratulations and good luck having your sweet baby soon! That's an awesome gain and it's exactly what I aspire to :)
  • KellieNause
    Options
    That's a really good question! I've always heard that when you're pregnant you should try to consume 300 more calories per baby. (So if you were having twins you'd need to eat 600 calories.) I saw that you mentioned that you were going to your midwife later this month, I'd check with her to be safe. There are also a lot of websites out there that can give healthy recommendations :-) Congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm waiting for the day when MFP comes out with a "Pregnant" setting for calories! LOL That would be really great!
  • I_GoT_ThIs
    I_GoT_ThIs Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I only gained 14 with my first daughter so i've overshot that but i'm hoping to stay close to there! Haha. If you get to where your struggling with the weight, look up the guidelines for a diet for gestational diabetes... and try to stay close to that. It does wonders! I had GD with my first so I kinda had a guideline to follow with this pregnancy, and luckily I escaped the diabetes this time! woo hoo!
  • houfkova
    houfkova Posts: 6
    Options
    Very well put, I don't think I would have been so polite with my reply to someone who hasn't had children and wants to not be "offensive". Good luck with your little treasure!! :smile:
  • SkinnyRuthy
    Options
    That's a really good question! I've always heard that when you're pregnant you should try to consume 300 more calories per baby. (So if you were having twins you'd need to eat 600 calories.) I saw that you mentioned that you were going to your midwife later this month, I'd check with her to be safe. There are also a lot of websites out there that can give healthy recommendations :-) Congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm waiting for the day when MFP comes out with a "Pregnant" setting for calories! LOL That would be really great!

I will be STOKED when they add a pregnancy option too!!! I've checked out "babfit.com" and while I appreciate the info given, I despise the format. Gonna have to hit up MFP to help us preggos stay healthy :)
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    It's a sad day when a woman carrying a new life inside of her is more worried about how many calories she's taking in than whether or not she's getting enough nutrition - from real, whole, natural foods and not processed food products - for her and her baby.

I'm not trying to offend anyone. I don't have kids and it's doubtful at this point that I will (I'm 41). But it's kind of selfish, I think. I just can't understand it.

Dude, really??? Caloric intake is a MAJOR part of a healthy vs. unhealthy pregnancy. Overeating (due to the "eating for two" myth) and undereating (due to morning sickness and general food turn-offs during pregnancy) are very real concerns during pregnancy. Not to mention that many mothers want to be in good shape to get through childbirth and recovery (not easy) and to take care of the baby's needs (imagine having twice as much responsiblity with half as much sleep for the next several months). I don't often jump in to argue with people on these threads, but COME ON.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    When you see your OBGYN, ask to be referred to a dietician. I did and they put me at 2000-2200 calories per day. I was overweight when I went to the dietician so they only wanted me to gain about 15 pounds during my pregnancy. They also had me watching my carbs (one complex per meal and about 100 total per day) because I was borderline diabetic. They realy emphasized whole foods and little to no processed foods. It was so hard for me to figure out how many calories I needed on my own because I was constantly on a diet prior to getting pregnant. It turns out that the calories they set me at are also my maintenance calories now that I am post birth.....people don't understand how hard it is for some people to not overeat when they are pregnant. I was constantly hungry and even 2200 was a challenge for me sometimes. Best of luck to you!
  • SkinnyRuthy
    Options
    Very well put, I don't think I would have been so polite with my reply to someone who hasn't had children and wants to not be "offensive". Good luck with your little treasure!! :smile:

Thank you, sweetie---you too! :)
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I can't remember if I read this somewhere of if my Dr told me this when I was PG - but I heard that the first triemester, you only need an additional 100 calories a day, the second = 200 calories and the 3rd = 300 calories. My Dr. sent me to a nutritionists and requested I eat about 2,000 calories a day. I am 5'9".
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    My general rule of thumb: During the first 3 months of your pregnancy, you do not need to change the number of calories you are eating. Normal-weight women need an extra 300 calories each day during the last 6 months of pregnancy. This totals about 1,900 to 2,500 calories a day. If you were underweight, overweight, or obese before you became pregnant, or if you are pregnant with more than one baby, you may need a different number of calories. Talk to your health care provider about how much weight you should gain and how many calories you need.

Also, an MFP group you may enjoy: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1903-fit-fabulous-pregnant
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    It's a sad day when a woman carrying a new life inside of her is more worried about how many calories she's taking in than whether or not she's getting enough nutrition - from real, whole, natural foods and not processed food products - for her and her baby.

I'm not trying to offend anyone. I don't have kids and it's doubtful at this point that I will (I'm 41). But it's kind of selfish, I think. I just can't understand it.

Spoken like someone who has never been pregnant. You can still eat too many calories even from real, whole, natural foods by the way..... and those extra calories can make the difference between an easy delivery/recovery and major health problems like diabetes.
  • SkinnyRuthy
    Options

When you see your OBGYN, ask to be referred to a dietician. I did and they put me at 2000-2200 calories per day. I was overweight when I went to the dietician so they only wanted me to gain about 15 pounds during my pregnancy. They also had me watching my carbs (one complex per meal and about 100 total per day) because I was borderline diabetic. They realy emphasized whole foods and little to no processed foods. It was so hard for me to figure out how many calories I needed on my own because I was constantly on a diet prior to getting pregnant. It turns out that the calories they set me at are also my maintenance calories now that I am post birth.....people don't understand how hard it is for some people to not overeat when they are pregnant. I was constantly hungry and even 2200 was a challenge for me sometimes. Best of luck to you!

Dude, really??? Caloric intake is a MAJOR part of a healthy vs. unhealthy pregnancy. Overeating (due to the "eating for two" myth) and undereating (due to morning sickness and general food turn-offs during pregnancy) are very real concerns during pregnancy. Not to mention that many mothers want to be in good shape to get through childbirth and recovery (not easy) and to take care of the baby's needs (imagine having twice as much responsiblity with half as much sleep for the next several months). I don't often jump in to argue with people on these threads, but COME ON.

I think it would be very wise for me to see a dietician. It would keep me on track for sure---great suggestion!

And thank you for piping in. I was crabby when my husband called----he asked why, and I told him that when people insult your ability to care for your body or baby properly without even knowing you it is incredibly hurtful, even if it's some person out there in cyber space just being a bully.

The truth is, for any mama going through pregnancy there are so many ups and downs you don't know what to do half the time. Sometimes you feel like eating super healthy and other times you feel like eating peanut m&ms all freaking day long. It helps to have a SUPPORTIVE community that helps guide you in the right direction and encourages you to attain your goals.

My goal? To be a healthy wife and mother.

How can I do that without listening to people's wise advice and working hard to then follow the "good bits"?

Again, thank you so much to everyone who has BEEN THERE and understands and has been encouraging. Feel free to send a friend request :)
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options

I don't get this from the OP at all. She wants to maintain a healthy weight. There's TONS of evidence that rapid weight gain during pregnancy makes for a much harder delivery so she's right on track to prevent that. Shame on you for your insensitive and unsupportive post.
  • ShandiH
    ShandiH Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm toying with this today too. I just found out I am pregnant and don't have a doctor's appointment for 5 weeks . . a lot can happen in 5 weeks! I don't want to go too low but I don't want to go too high either . . . hmmm, what's that perfect number??

congratulations :-)

Thanks!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I remember my doctor telling me that it was normal to gain 25 lbs during a pregnancy. I gained about that amount and lost it with the birth. Placenta and amiotic fluid, and an 8.5 lb baby. I weighed less after the birth than before I was pregnant.

You need to eat for two, but a lot of that can be low cal veggies and fruit and dairy products.

Lol. It didn't stay that way because I was so exhausted post partum taking care of baby. My mom packed my freezer with zuchinni cakes, and it was just easier to pull out a slab of that, than to cook up something good.

My advice, eat well, gain normally, and really plan for that period when baby is on a 3 hour feeding schedule!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just follow your body's cues. I gained 15lbs in the first 16 weeks, which freaked my doctor out and made the nurse encourage me to watch my eating (obnoxious comment, if I do say so), but I wasn't eating anything extra, or doing anything special. I was actually pretty active, with snowboarding, running, and other things, so my body just packed on those pounds intitially without my say-so, haha.

But the last trimester, where you're supposed to gain more weight, I only gained 5lbs (which again freaked my doctor out, and prompted him to ask me if I had stopped eating), for a total of 34, which was recommended for me, since I started at an average weight, and had a normal pregnancy. I didn't change anything at all, save for the fact that I switched to walking daily instead of running, and obviously didn't do things like snowboarding or horseback riding, because the jostling was really uncomfortable. I just ate when I was hungry, which included in the middle of the night when my carpal tunnel kept me up (ah, the joys of summertime pregnancy swelling), and avoided really sugary things like ice cream (more because I just wan't into anything that sweet), and my body didn't steer me wrong. My girl was 8lbs 1oz, two weeks late, and healthy as a little horse, no matter that I didn't pack on the pounds in the last trimester like they recommended.

So long as you stay active, and just eat smart, I guarantee you your body won't let you down. They're designed to know what they need. ;)
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have to say until you tip the scales at 236 pounds and you are carrying life and you realize all the things that your not eating the right amounts does to your body and your child's. Eating right is not only not selfish but extremely selfless when it comes to feeding your baby right!
  • applejacks1552
    Options
    Those are really good questions! Let us all know what your midwife says!

Part of the reason I'm trying to lose now is to get ready for TTC in the fall. I only gained ~ 20 during my 1st pregnancy and lost most of it after giving birth, however my daughter was 7 weeks early due to preeclampsia. So I ate terrible the month she was in the NICU and the first couple months she was home because it was just so stressful and so I gained a lot of what I had lost before getting pregnant. BOOO!

I really don't want to gain too much extra next time either because once that baby is home, there is so little time and energy for yourself to work on weight loss. And for me, since I couldn't breastfeed successfully, losing the weight was even harder. Next time I will need to be even more cautious with my nutrition, especially in regard to sodium. I think I will keep using MFP to keep me on track with good nutrition and proper calorie intake.

It's hard to strike a good balance of gaining just the right amount through nutritious food, without going overboard on those craving foods (loved my ice cream too!). I also found that I had a lot of food aversions and was also really tired, which made eating healthy and exercising a bit more challenging than it is when not pregnant.

I think it would be hard to understand for those ladies who have never been through it just how out of control and strange your body can feel when you're pregnant. And there are some situations that you just can't control, like being stuck on bedrest, that mess with you even more. I was only on bedrest for about 2 weeks, but I could tell my muscles were a bit atrophied and my cardio endurance down.

As far as I understand it, during the 1st trimester you need to net your maintainance calories daily and won't need to gain much during this time. So yes, eat back your exercise calories? Then for the 2nd and 3rd trimester you should net your maintainance + 300 calories to gain just the right amount. I'm guessing this must vary, depending on where you start (obese, overweight, healthy, under). For me, I wasn't supposed to gain more than 20-25 total. So about 0.5 - 1 lb a week after the 1st trimester.

Also, I have heard/read that your body tends to give the baby 1st priority where nutrition is concerned, so it's usually the mother that suffers first when calories and nutrition are lacking - as in the case of mothers with severe morning sickness that lasts the whole pregnancy. For instance, I've heard that women can actually lose calcium from their own teeth/bones during pregnancy if they are nutritionally deficient because it will be taken for use by the growing baby. I wonder if this is true? Crazy things these babies do . . .

Best of luck with your pregnancy!