Best exercises to lose the most calories

Options
Hi I just joined MFP last week and I see some people doing exercises that burn over 1000 calories which I dont know what some of the exercises mean that I see people doing but I was wondering what is the best exercises to burn the most calories in like an hours time??..I want to burn as many as I can and if its a certain kinda exercises please explain so I know what it means because I see some stuff like HILT or whatever but have no clue what that is..Dont know if that means a dvd or a machine or exactly what that is so please explain so I can try and find more workouts to do to burn more calories..Currently im doing the biggest loser workout dvd but not even sure how much I am burning there..Please help :)

Replies

• Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Body for Life program. You can Google it & the website will come up. I bought the book online for about .75 cents so it wasn't a bad investment. :wink: So far I've trimmed up a lot. I'm starting to look more toned. It's a 12 week program of fairly strict eating & a really great exercise routine. It's based on hitting your highest point while weight lifting & doing cardio on opposite days. The weight lifting is going to build muscle which burns fat & calories. The cardio will assist in shedding the fat & calories. I'd suggest a routine that offers both. Good luck!
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Try Zumba classes..... my sister in law burns between 800-1000 calories a class.
  • sjwhite7
    sjwhite7 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think you might have seen HIIT which is high intensity interval training. There are many different ways that you can do these types of exercises. I sometimes incorporate HIIT into my cardio workout where I do 2 min. of moderate pace on a elliptical and then 1 min. of high pace, then cycle it for 10-15 minutes. The idea is to constantly increase your heart rate and bring it down again. It makes you burn more calories throughout the day. You can also do HIIT with circuit training as well. It would be a good idea to google it and get a better understanding of what it is and how to use it to your advantage.
  • WallyGirl358
    Options
    My gym offers free classes. I do cardio boxing and kettlebell that burns 1000 to 1200 an hour. Very intense full body workout. I have lost 4 sizes since October.
  • Crossfitchrisd
    Options
    CrossFit
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If you want an accurate reading on the calories you've burned...
    invest in a heart rate monitor...
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Spin
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Everyone burns a different number of cals doing different exercises. Varying degrees of intensity, gender, and weight all play a role in the burned cal count. Comparing your burns to others' can be very defeating.

Do your own workouts, vary the exercises, bust your *kitten*, and quit worrying about what everyone else is doing.
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    I think you might have seen HIIT which is high intensity interval training. There are many different ways that you can do these types of exercises. I sometimes incorporate HIIT into my cardio workout where I do 2 min. of moderate pace on a elliptical and then 1 min. of high pace, then cycle it for 10-15 minutes. The idea is to constantly increase your heart rate and bring it down again. It makes you burn more calories throughout the day. You can also do HIIT with circuit training as well. It would be a good idea to google it and get a better understanding of what it is and how to use it to your advantage.

This is my advice to people also!
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Everyone burns a different number of cals doing different exercises. Varying degrees of intensity, gender, and weight all play a role in the burned cal count. Comparing your burns to others' can be very defeating.

Do your own workouts, vary the exercises, bust your *kitten*, and quit worrying about what everyone else is doing.

This is the best advice you have received. The more overweight you are, the more calories you burn. As you get smaller, you will notice that the amount burned goes down. Just monitor for yourself; don't worry about what others burn.
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options

GREAT advice
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You might also try C25K. Couch to 5K. Its a running program for beginners. I hate running but I am making myself stick to it. Its 30 minutes and 3 days a week/9weeks. I googled it and printed out the running. Its intervals. Today was my 1st day and I burned 375 (by my HRM).
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    HIIT is a great way to go. You don't burn as many calories while you're working out if you do a full on HIIT workout (which are usually pretty short, 12-25 min) but you burn more throughout the day after your workout and it helps you get stronger for your regular cardio.

I like Turbo Fire for cardio/HIIT and high calorie burn, and a lot of people praise www.Bodyrock.tv, which is a HIIT workout site that has free workouts.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    May I suggest that you reconsider why it is you want to exercise. Exercise burns calories for sure but the benefits of a good fitness program transcend weight loss - you are building a stronger, healthier you.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I burn the most doing zumba, I keep track with a heart rate monitor and at 220lbs I can burn about 200-300calories in just 20mins. And then I also try and walk or ride my bike everyday with is usually good for another 200-300 calories. The most Ive burned in a dya has been around 600 I think havnt been able to get up to the 1000 mark yet but hopfully soon, for me its hard to make the time for that much exercise in a day.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I recommend any of the Jari Love workouts especially the Get Extremely Ripped 1000 burns a ton of calories, or the Advanced Tae Bo, or kettlebell workouts. I like Kettlenetics cuz it is aerobic type excercises along with the kettlebells and she explains it really really clear. If you lift heavier kettlebells though you can burn up to 300 calories in 15 minutes. So for an hr long workout for sure you can burn a ton of calories.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

This is the best advice you have received. The more overweight you are, the more calories you burn. As you get smaller, you will notice that the amount burned goes down. Just monitor for yourself; don't worry about what others burn.

This. Calories burned depends on weight and intensity.

Also keep in mind that some people overestimate. Even HRMs can give inflated burns under certain circumstances.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Speed rope
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Cycling in place of in-town driving is one hell of an exercise for calories per minute gone out of your way to exercise (hint: subtract out your would-be drive times including additional time at red lights). It's not quite on par with some people's Zumba classes, but if you're not at the stage of fitness to be doing Zumba yet it's a good way to save time.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells and HIIT (or some other form of running)