What have you learned???

Options
I am just curious what you guys have learned about weight loss since using MFP? Little Tricks? Must-do's? Rules to live by?

The biggest thing I have learned in regards to weight loss is that it's 80% diet and 20% exercise. Before I thought you had to be a slave to the gym to make any sort of headway or that you practically had to starve yourself to lose any weight. I thought it was one or the other. I was so wrong.

What have you learned?

Replies

• memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I have learned to just not give up and that I am not the only one with these struggles.
    I have learned that instead of starving myself I need to eat smaller meals more often. I have learned to love myself no matter what. I have learned that being overweight doesn't make you a bad person.

Memaw
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    plan your meal schedule. And to go along with that, pre-package as many things as you can ahead of time. I put all my snacks that aren't individually wrapped into plastic bags on sunday, that way, each day of the week, I just open the fridge, toss a bunch of baggies in my lunch cooler, and go. It means I always know how many calories I am eating every day, and it's a minimum of effort.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    The importance of logging the food-- every morsel, every lick of a spoon-- take captive every morsel I put in my mouth.

The importance of losing the "I'm depriving myself" mentality-- that's the crap that got me in this boat in the first place.

The importance of not shooting the messenger who's telling me important truth about the crap I'm putting in my body. Everybody is here to help me-- I don't want things sugarcoated and to be coddled-- I want people to care enough about me to tell me straight up.

The importance of exercising and eating right, even when I don't feel like it. Doing what's good and right for my body, even when I'm tired and cranky, stressed, hormonal-- et cetera.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Portion control. 4 ounces of protein is more than enough to fill me up.

And i love my food scale.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I've learned that you can't reach perfection any time soon that you have to make progress by baby steps.

I've learned to seek balance between being open minded to new ideas and sticking to the behaviors that work for me.

Patience, patience, patience
    never, never, never, give up

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    Portion control. 4 ounces of protein is more than enough to fill me up.

And i love my food scale.

I bought a food scale as my reward for losing the first five pounds and I love it. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Helen43
    Helen43 Posts: 43
    Options
    This is all very inspiring. Thank you!:smile:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I wanna get a new food scale. Ours is old, and I'm positive it doesn't weigh right. That amount of food on my plate doesn't look like 4 oz :laugh:

DH has a digital scale they use for scouts to weigh pinewood derby cars. I think I might just have to "borrow" it. lol
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I've learned that I shouldn't like cool whip..:sad: :tongue: :laugh:
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    I've learned to be a more caring and sensitive person when sharing my advice and suggestions with others, as not to offend. :flowerforyou: :devil: :flowerforyou:
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Accountability.

I cannot eat everything I want. If I eat what I'm not supposed to, don't pretend that it won't hurt.

Get on the scale EVERY DAY!!! This is just me, but helps me not fool myself and rationalize poor choices.

:flowerforyou:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I"ve learned what everyone has already posted--plus I now tell myself that I get to eat again tomorrow, I don't have to have it all RIGHT NOW :bigsmile:
  • Marla64
    Options
    I've learned that I shouldn't like cool whip..:sad: :tongue: :laugh:

:laugh:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Water........must drink lots of water :drinker:

:drinker: <
    me drinking water :bigsmile:
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    I've learned to be a more caring and sensitive person when sharing my advice and suggestions with others, as not to offend. :flowerforyou: :devil: :flowerforyou:

Awe Sarge ... how very sweet you are. :devil: :heart:

I've learned to up my calories to match my calories burned from exercising
    I've learned that a Heart Rate Monitor is the best way to figure out calories burned (going to get one once I've lost 25 lbs.)
    I've learned what wogging is ... and some day I may try it. :bigsmile:
  • xsargex
    Options

I've learned that a Heart Rate Monitor is the best way to figure out calories burned (going to get one once I've lost 25 lbs.)

You know i feel like I didn't paint the sarcasm on thick enough? I don't want people to get the wrong idea that I'm really sensitive or something. Psshhhh...
  • Marla64
    Options

You know i feel like I didn't paint the sarcasm on thick enough? I don't want people to get the wrong idea that I'm really sensitive or something. Psshhhh...

:laugh: :laugh:

I'm rather embarrassed to say how confused I am-- :ohwell:

which is it? Are a "shoot-from-the-hipper?" Or not?
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I Love this thread. Learning is such a part of this. Filling my time with healthy exercise rather than mindless snacking has been my biggest lesson learned so far. Love it.
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:

I'm rather embarrassed to say how confused I am-- :ohwell:

which is it? Are a "shoot-from-the-hipper?" Or not?

You'll soon get to know Sarge if you don't already ... definitely a shoot from the hipper ... and then some.
  • xsargex
    Options
    You'll soon get to know Sarge if you don't already ... definitely a shoot from the hipper ... and then some.

Shoot from the hip? Sometimes I don't even get it outta the holster. Like Barney Fife.