Cleansing/Detox Drinks

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Do more research, toxins are not "imaginary".

Can you please name some toxins that build up in your system, that cannot be cleansed by your body?

I just did.

And do you believe that your body does not know how to rid itself of these toxins, and that you therefore need to cleanse or detox manually? EDIT: I'm assuming you missed the "that cannot be cleansed by your body" part?
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options

Can you please name some toxins that build up in your system, that cannot be cleansed by your body?

I just did.

And do you believe that your body does not know how to rid itself of these toxins, and that you therefore need to cleanse or detox manually? EDIT: I'm assuming you missed the "that cannot be cleansed by your body" part?

The body needs help. If the body could do all these things on it's own, well we wouldn't need to watch what we eat or excercise would we?

Detox programs that require you to buy a bunch of phoney crap from them are not real. But it has been proven that if you even go 3-7 days with consuming ONLY fresh, uncooked, unprocessed fruits/veggies your body will be able to clear its self of all kinds of nastey stuff.
    I'm not saying to buy any kind of program/drink/whatever. But there are ways, with using juices/smoothies that you can cleanse your body.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    The body needs help. If the body could do all these things on it's own, well we wouldn't need to watch what we eat or excercise would we?

We exercise and eat healthy so that we can stay in shape, avoid obesity, and hopefully nourish our bodies appropriately. We don't exercise to prevent buildup of toxic chemicals.
    Detox programs that require you to buy a bunch of phoney crap from them are not real. But it has been proven that if you even go 3-7 days with consuming ONLY fresh, uncooked, unprocessed fruits/veggies your body will be able to clear its self of all kinds of nastey stuff.

Can you name some nasty stuff that builds up in your system that is not cleansed by your liver/kidneys?
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options

I just did.

Nope, your body can clean them out with time, healthy eating and flushing with water. Why I keep coming back to drinking LOTS of water!
  • minigirl2
    minigirl2 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Woman after my own heart! LOL

[/quote]
    Husks and dirt, mixed with water? Isn't that mud? Yum! (I assume this means I can substitute mudslides for this recipe.)
    [/quote]
  • Sidesteal
    Options

I just did.

Nope, your body can clean them out with time, healthy eating and flushing with water. Why I keep coming back to drinking LOTS of water!

I agree.

I was asking the person who claimed detoxes to be necessary, to name a specific toxin or toxins that a normally functioning body (liver/kidneys) cannot detox on it's own.

In other words, I don't believe there is any reason to detox given normal functionality of your system.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options

I just did.

I'm not saying to buy any kind of program/drink/whatever. But there are ways, with using juices/smoothies that you can cleanse your body.

I called the imaginary toxins because your body cleanses itself. It detoxes itself.

The human body is a fantastic creation and does a great job at helping itself when treated properly. If fed healthy, whole foods, exercise and given enough water the liver, kidneys etc cleanse the body wonderfully without the need of pills, shakes, juices, mud, etc.

Toxins, detoxes and cleanses not done is not what is causing people to be here needing to lose weight. Excess calories are the sole reason.
  • Alexstrasza
    Options

We exercise and eat healthy so that we can stay in shape, avoid obesity, and hopefully nourish our bodies appropriately. We don't exercise to prevent buildup of toxic chemicals.

Can you name some nasty stuff that builds up in your system that is not cleansed by your liver/kidneys?

I never said our liver/kidneys and whatever else can't do it. I am merely saying that using a juicing/smoothie diet can immensely increase your bodies ability to get rid of anything that is not healthy for it.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

hehe.. they never can.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

I never said our liver/kidneys and whatever else can't do it. I am merely saying that using a juicing/smoothie diet can immensely increase your bodies ability to get rid of anything that is not healthy for it.

Ok, and if you believe this is true, can you name one of those "things that aren't healthy for it"?
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Your liver and kidneys are great for cleansing and detoxing. No need for fads, pills, gross cocktails, shakes etc.

^^^ This!

Why is it that people don't realize that the body has organs dedicated to detox and flushing? If you're putting crap into your body, you're forcing your organs to work harder to clean up house. Help your liver and kidneys out--drink more water.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options

If you eat healthy foods, exercise and drink enough what your body will cleanse itself. These "toxins" won't be stored. Your body is a wonderful little creation and can do a lot of things.

Cleanses don't need to be done if your body is fed properly and is healthy. Detoxes are the same.

Exactly!

I do a sugar "detox" every so often. What it is, is abstaining from eating processed sugars and drinking more water. Really helps calm sugar cravings! I eat healthy other than my sugar habit. But my BODY does the work, not some special detox/cleanse formula.

I can't imaging drinking fibrous muddy water. Yuck.
    The green sludge sounds a little more tasty at least. Sounds like a lot of fiber, water and natural foods. Why not just eat them?

WATER is the key to detoxing your body. Always boils down to it!

Edit - LOL! I think we might have hijacked the topic!
  • silvabelle89
    Options
    I would just cut out processed food, drink a lot of water and start
    Eating better. Cleanses make me nervous because I feel you don't always get the nutrients you naturally get from food. To each his own though!
  • Alexstrasza
    Options

Ok, and if you believe this is true, can you name one of those "things that aren't healthy for it"?

Food additives, highly processed or genetically modified foods and even chemical ingredients in food recipes such as food dyes and chemical flavorings. Pretty much anything that isn't found naturally in food or the body.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    To be clear here, I'm not out to get you personally.

You told someone that they need to do more research because they believed that you don't need to cleanse because toxins don't build-up in your system.

I have not seen anything, ever, that indicates the need to detox or cleanse and I fully, 100% believe that cleanses and detoxes are basically fad/myth/propoganda that don't serve the purpose that they advertise. They may cause weight loss for various reasons (water weight, severe caloric restriction), but the necessity to clear your body of toxins is simply nonexistent under a normally functioning system.

I'm persistent in this post because if you can point me to any specific toxins and show me that I'm wrong, I'll quite possibly change my viewpoint.

Until then, I'm going to keep convincing people to eat real food and save their time and/or money when it comes to cleansing.
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    Why do you want to cleanse or detox?

Like lizard053 said water is the best. Nothing better. Our bodies don't store tons of imaginary toxins that we need to detox to get rid of. Healthy foods, exercise and lots of water will do the trick.

Fat tissue in particular DOES indeed store toxins. Dieting releases these toxins and the increases can be seen in bloodwork (if you have a baseline before dieting). "Most of us have been exposed to organochlorines found in pesticides, dyes, solvents, etc., and we contain residues in our adipose tissue, where they are preferentially stored. Thus, the obese tend to have increased organochlorine concentrations compared to lean individuals [229]. During body weight loss, a decrease in fat mass results in lipid mobilization, and organochlorine concentrations increase both in plasma and remaining adipose tissue. Even after adjustment for weight loss, the related increase in organochlorine concentration has been correlated with decreases in triidothyronine (T3) concentration and resting metabolic rate [230]." For the full article, go here: http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/12

Yogi tea makes a tea called "Healthy Fasting." It's a good detox tea you can use even if you aren't fasting. Pure water keeps the toxins moving out of the body after mobilization.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Food additives, highly processed or genetically modified foods and even chemical ingredients in food recipes such as food dyes and chemical flavorings. Pretty much anything that isn't found naturally in food or the body.

Do you have any evidence of this or any resources that indicate the above, that aren't juicing/cleansing propoganda?
  • Alexstrasza
    Options
    The green sludge sounds a little more tasty at least. Sounds like a lot of fiber, water and natural foods. Why not just eat them?

When you make them into a smoothie or juice it makes it so that your body doesn't have to work so hard to break it down so it's able to absorb more nutrients than usual.
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    To be clear here, I'm not out to get you personally.

You told someone that they need to do more research because they believed that you don't need to cleanse because toxins don't build-up in your system.

I have not seen anything, ever, that indicates the need to detox or cleanse and I fully, 100% believe that cleanses and detoxes are basically fad/myth/propoganda that don't serve the purpose that they advertise. They may cause weight loss for various reasons (water weight, severe caloric restriction), but the necessity to clear your body of toxins is simply nonexistent under a normally functioning system.

I'm persistent in this post because if you can point me to any specific toxins and show me that I'm wrong, I'll quite possibly change my viewpoint.

Until then, I'm going to keep convincing people to eat real food and save their time and/or money when it comes to cleansing.

I'm sure you don't mean to give unsound advice but I strongly recommend you read this article (and many others on the topic) since the effects of weight loss and the moblization of toxins stores in adipose (fat) tissue is very well documented.