Cleansing/Detox Drinks

Options

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I'll keep harping on it. Your body is excellent at cleansing if you give it the right stuff. Healthy foods and tons of water is all you need. No need to spend $100's on detoxes and cleanses that really don't do any better!

I'll help you harp on it.

The whole "cleanse" thing is built on pseudoscience.
    Actually, it's real science, just blown way out of proportion. Our bodies are perfectly able to do the cleanse itself. The false part is the NEED for a cleanse/detox.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Food additives, highly processed or genetically modified foods and even chemical ingredients in food recipes such as food dyes and chemical flavorings. Pretty much anything that isn't found naturally in food or the body.

Do you have any evidence of this or any resources that indicate the above, that aren't juicing/cleansing propoganda?

How is it propoganda? How is telling people a healthy way to eat bad? I'm not telling anyone to go buy some crazy new machine or drink or drug. I'm simply telling them a way to prepare their natural foods that is more beneficial to the body.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested Psyllium Husk for me, the other day. Now, I'm not 100% sure what that was, but she told me if that freaked me out, to get some Miralax. I'm a failure at pooping. -shrugs- Just not high up on my list of things to do.

Buttt... If you're looking for something on the cheap, Walgreens has a deal..

14 Day fat Burn Cleanse (includes Acai Berry cleanse 56 ct and Fat Burn cleanse 56 ct) $10 = $10 RR
    Final cost FREE!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I put this in another thread
  • lizard053
    Options
    I would just cut out processed food, drink a lot of water and start
    Eating better. Cleanses make me nervous because I feel you don't always get the nutrients you naturally get from food. To each his own though!
    Good for you!

Cleanses are unnecessary if you're trying to eat healthy and drink plenty of water!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I'm sure you don't mean to give unsound advice but I strongly recommend you read this article (and many others on the topic) since the effects of weight loss and the moblization of toxins stores in adipose (fat) tissue is very well documented.

Reading it now. But specifically, I would need to see that this toxicity is not removed by a normally functioning liver/kidneys/etc.
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    Food additives, highly processed or genetically modified foods and even chemical ingredients in food recipes such as food dyes and chemical flavorings. Pretty much anything that isn't found naturally in food or the body.

Do you have any evidence of this or any resources that indicate the above, that aren't juicing/cleansing propoganda?

There are numerous studies. Here's one that is pretty comprehensive and is open source.

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/12
  • lizard053
    Options
    The green sludge sounds a little more tasty at least. Sounds like a lot of fiber, water and natural foods. Why not just eat them?

When you make them into a smoothie or juice it makes it so that your body doesn't have to work so hard to break it down so it's able to absorb more nutrients than usual.

Actually, blending/juicing just takes the work you would normally do during chewing out of the equation. No juicer I have ever heard of does the chemical breakdown necessary for absorbing the nutrients. Sorry. (I'm a chemist/biochemist, so I do know what I am talking about!) I'm not trying to be rude, just making my point. Please take this as scientific criticism, not personal.
  • kantone999
    Options

I'm sure you don't mean to give unsound advice but I strongly recommend you read this article (and many others on the topic) since the effects of weight loss and the moblization of toxins stores in adipose (fat) tissue is very well documented.

Reading it now. But specifically, I would need to see that this toxicity is not removed by a normally functioning liver/kidneys/etc.

One reason breast tissue is so susceptible to cancer is that it's pretty much all fatty tissue. The toxins in the fat cells reach critical mass and BOOM! The cells mutate.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Just go with whatever is most expensive, has the coolest name, or if all else fails, whatever Dr. Oz is pushing this week.
  • lizard053
    Options
    Fat tissue DOES store toxins. These toxins ARE released in weight loss/fat loss. Your body does know what to do with them though, filter them out. It's hard on the liver and kidneys. Don't make it harder by adding more to your system (as in eating poorly!). By DRINKING WATER, you can help your kidneys do their job in cleansing them out of your system. Staying hydrated actually can help your liver function as well. Also, water will help stuff move through your system better.

Psyllium fiber (metamucil, for instance, I believe) is a great way to HELP your system push stuff through your intestinal track. You need to take it with LOTS OF WATER. As the package directs. It's not a detox in itself, it just helps things get moving naturally.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options

One reason breast tissue is so susceptible to cancer is that it's pretty much all fatty tissue. The toxins in the fat cells reach critical mass and BOOM! The cells mutate.

I think this thread has reached critical mass...
  • Sidesteal
    Options

And will drinking juice (doing a cleanse) stop this?

I read the portion of your article regarding organochlorine and I also read the observational study that was referenced (229) in the study you linked. Now can you show me that drinking a certain glass of juice, as opposed to dieting normally, somehow makes this stop?

My contention here is that detoxing/cleansing is not necessary.
  • kantone999
    Options

Search on blood toxicity during weight loss. It's true that the liver and kidneys remove a goodly amount of purities daily. But whatever they can't remove is preferentially stored in fat. As our food and environments become more polluted our bodies can't simply can't keep up. RAPID weight loss mobilizes the toxins along with the fat into the bloodstream to be used as fuel to compensate for reduced calorie intake and/or increased calorie expenditure. This increase can be measured.

A number of illnesses, including disruption of the endocrine, reproductive and immune systems, dementia, and cancers have been linked to the release of POPs (persistent organic pollutants). Here's an article ABC News carried: http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2010/09/08/3005218.htm. There are literally hundred of studies (NOT done by supplement manufacturers) that have replicated the findings.
  • lizard053
    Options
    Search on blood toxicity during weight loss. It's true that the liver and kidneys remove a goodly amount of purities daily. But whatever they can't remove is preferentially stored in fat. As our food and environments become more polluted our bodies can't simply can't keep up. RAPID weight loss mobilizes the toxins along with the fat into the bloodstream to be used as fuel to compensate for reduced calorie intake and/or increased calorie expenditure. This increase can be measured.

A number of illnesses, including disruption of the endocrine, reproductive and immune systems, dementia, and cancers have been linked to the release of POPs (persistent organic pollutants). Here's an article ABC News carried: http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2010/09/08/3005218.htm. There are literally hundred of studies (NOT done by supplement manufacturers) that have replicated the findings.

This is why slow and steady weight loss is encouraged. It slows these things down from entering the blood stream. Rapid weight loss does have it's dangers!
    I'd hesitate using ABC news as a reliable scientific source. FYI. They talk about what the advertisers want.

Edit - I'm afraid this topic will get locked down while I'm at the gym. It's a really nice debate!
  • Sidesteal
    Options

And will cleansing/detoxing fix this? (EDIT: And I really would like to know, I'm not trying to be a dink here. If you are right, I need to change my viewpoint on this. But, I need to see ample evidence that a cleanse diet or detox beverage fixes the above problem).
  • lizard053
    Options
    Sidesteal and I are basically asking the same thing! We don't dispute that these toxins do exist. We contest that fancy and expensive detoxes and cleanses are necessary to treat it. I still think water is the best detox drink money can buy! (And in many cases it's free!)
  • kantone999
    Options

And will drinking juice (doing a cleanse) stop this?

I read the portion of your article regarding organochlorine and I also read the observational study that was referenced (229) in the study you linked. Now can you show me that drinking a certain glass of juice, as opposed to dieting normally, somehow makes this stop?

My contention here is that detoxing/cleansing is not necessary.

If your individual toxic load was low (e.g. lifelong eater of organic, whole, live, raw foods) you probably would NOT need any help detoxing. Most of us are not in that boat. Remember, we're not just talking food additives. We're talking air pollution, water contaminants, second-hand smoke, chemicals leached from frozen/overheated plastics, overheated teflon (which DOES indeed kill birds. Ever heard of the canaries in the mines?), and on and on.

The herbs usually hawked as "blood purifiers" such as burdock, nettle, etc., etc. have, for the most part, one thing in common--they all have diuretic properties. Increased urine production means increased waste removal.

If you're asking whether chemical components chelate toxins, NOTHING chelates organochlorines in adipose tissue. There are chelating agents that DO bind with specific toxins in the bloodstream. A friend of mine got lead poisoning and she had the usual medical treatment of ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA) as a lead chelating agent to remove the lead from her body.

The iron chelating agent deferoxamine appears to chelate aluminum. DMSA binds to mercury. Iodine chelates heavy metals such as mercury, lead, cadmium and aluminum and halogens such as fluoride and bromide. NONE of these should be used without a doctor's care so your blood levels can be monitored because yes, you CAN get sick from the released toxins and suffer organ damage if the chelating agents are not in sufficient dosage to bind with the relased toxin.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Nope.

Breast tissue is more susceptible to cancer because it's fatty, but it's because more fat increases production of estrogen and the localized increased estrogen increases cell division (every time a cell divides it's at risk for a mutation) and can also damage DNA directly.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Water.

No really, good old plain water is probably the best thing for detoxing your system. Drink enough of it and you'll see just how good!

Adding more: Your liver and kidneys are really really really good at cleaning out any toxins in your blood. If you give your body plenty of water as well, they work even better. Try drinking a gallon of water for 2 days. It truly will cleanse your system! Combined with eating healthy, you should get a jump start on your weight loss.

Yep. Anything else is a waste of money/effort. Drink lots of water, eat healthy, natural foods, and you'll be just fine.