Planet Fitness...do you tan before or after your workout?

Options
I just joined PF and got a black card.
I was wondering if you tan before working out, or after?
I dont want to be all sweaty at the start of the workout, from tanning...of course i really dont want to have to work out, then have to shower to tan afterwards (i have two babies under the age of a year and a half at home, and time is of the essence!).

Also, does PF provide the eye protection or do i need to purchase my own?

I have stretchmarks from Postpartum hypothyroid and its very upsetting to me. I know there are creams and other things but they just do not work (these are from my first baby, so if they were going to work, they would have by now!). I know that tanning can at least help hide these. So thats why im interested.

***I am aware of the risks associated with tanning. I am not interested in hearing about them. Thank you.***

Replies

• Daytonsmommy
    Daytonsmommy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    When I used to go to tanning beds (don't anymore), I would usually tan then work out. I would get sweaty in the bed which didn't bother me going into my work out. I will say though, if you're looking for a healthy tanning alternative St. Tropez tanning mousse is AWESOME. :smile:
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I tan occasionally before a special occasion or vacation, and normally I do it after my workouts because I find it relaxing. It's really hard for me to stay motivated when I relaxed for 15 minutes in the heat :smile:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Tanning has never worked for me, but I would suggest doing it before you work out. I think it wouldn't be a great use of time to shower before getting in the bed!
  • nytdreamer80
    nytdreamer80 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I always tan before. And no, they dont provide. They do have some for sale though (although I am not sure on price). I did try tanning a few times afterwards and I Was just sooo hot and sweaty that I Dont think any of my lotion stayed on.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I used to tan after I worked out -- you clean the bed before and after you work anyhow. You have to bring your own eye protection. I would use vitamin E on your stretch marks :)
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    When I used to go to tanning beds (don't anymore), I would usually tan then work out. I would get sweaty in the bed which didn't bother me going into my work out. I will say though, if you're looking for a healthy tanning alternative St. Tropez tanning mousse is AWESOME. :smile:

I don't make a habit out of tanning, I do it 5 or so times a year, but I haven't been able to find any self-tanner that I like - I am going to try that one out, thanks!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Tanning makes the stretch marks stand out MORE not less. The stretch mark itself doesn't tan well so as the surrounding skin gets darker it stands out more.
  • Crying_In_Color
    Crying_In_Color Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I usually tan after my work out but it depends on how busy it is. The one I go to only has 4 beds. I tan 2-3x a week to treat my Psoriasis. It's the best way to keep your skin clear and a better solution then using the steroids.
  • blethenam
    blethenam Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Tanning makes the stretch marks stand out MORE not less. The stretch mark itself doesn't tan well so as the surrounding skin gets darker it stands out more.
    I started tanning after I had my son and my stretch marks became much less noticeable. Same with a friend of mine who had stretch marks from weight gain and loss. I always tan after my work out. Nice to relax afterwards. Just sanitize sanitize sanitize. And you can pick up a pair of tanning goggles at WalMart for just a couple bucks.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    tanning beds in Australia have just about been made illegal (some states have done so and others are soon to follow) due to it being proven they cause skin cancer.
    I would advise to flick the whole idea of tanning beds and go for a spray tan instead.
  • Ivyzmama
    Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    back when I did it at another chain they sold me the eye protectors, but since you're asking, I might as well tell you that they did not protect my eyes well enough - I wore them but held an arm over my eyes the whole time as well. And I never even wear sunglasses in regular life (since I have prescription regular glasses & it's such a pain to switch to prescription sunglasses, not to mention the expense of prescription sunglasses). So I recommend that you bring your darkest sunglasses to wear on top of the eye protection they give you, or a dark cloth/bandana to wrap around your eyes on top of the eye protectors. (& you can use the cloth to wipe up your sweat, too.) I always showered after tanning & after working out & I just couldn't manage to combine them. Each of them is too sweaty. & I second what the other poster said - after tanning, the heat made me want to go to sleep. I was way too lethargic to work out after tanning.
  • twinlaced
    twinlaced Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Don't like tans. I wear 100 spf everyday, and have for a long, long time. Tanned about two weeks for a prom in high school and had to get a skin cancer cut out of my eyelid. Nopee not for me.
  • MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I am now thinking of the Jersey shore: GTL... Gym- Tan-Laundry
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I usually tan after my work out but it depends on how busy it is. The one I go to only has 4 beds. I tan 2-3x a week to treat my Psoriasis. It's the best way to keep your skin clear and a better solution then using the steroids.

Except it's not. You can get skin cancer from tanning beds. I had a friend's mom (who I was very close with and like a second mother to me) tan for her awful Psoriasis, she got skin cancer and then died from a brain tumour. I urge you to look into other options, steroids aren't the best option, but tanning beds aren't safe.
  • Meliklotz
    Meliklotz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am a black card holder to.
    I tan either before or after, I prefer after as my "REWARD" for kicking it harder than the last time.
    You have to buy your own eyewear 5.00 at the counter and buy the $40.00 Worship Me bronzer. It keeps your skin super soft.
    and be sure to HYDRATE afterwards!!
    Enjoy!
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The PF I workout at DOES provide eye protection-they have to it's the law. I will tan whenever a bed is available..yes it can be a pain to be working out then go get undressed and tan, then redressed and tan-you do what you gotta do. As for stretch marks we have found that it helps them and acne as well...
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

^^this is very true. I have the slightest stretch marks on my side from my daughter and they are only noticeable when I tan, they turn white. I didn't even know I had them until I went tanning. I just use spray tan in that area to cover them.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Mine are way less noticable when I have a tan. Not everyone is the same.

OP - there is hope :flowerforyou: like you, mine were from my first kid so I'm positve no cream is going to help, he's 5 now and I've tried them all. :laugh:

And I've never tanned after...something about blood being at the surface of your skin after a workout...more susceptible to burn? Idk, I could be making that up lol I've heard it or read it somewhere. It may not be true, but it was enough to keep me away. I tan before. :happy:
  • Stagezz
    Stagezz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I tan first!
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    I had Psoriasis for years and it made it go away and never come back! i also have some serious stretch marks left from my 16 yo tanning just helps them eventually fade is all. When i lose all this fat will have to have a tummy tuck and then no more stretch marks. Sorry off subj. Get your own eye wear that way you know where it has been tan lotion. i would go after the gym when i tanned only because they weren't in the same place and it was relaxing.