Challenge workout: The Feel Your Age - Calorie Blast!

Options
Here is probably the best challenge workout that I have ever posted, the Feel Your Age - Calorie Blast! Everything in this workout is structured around the number that usually makes you feel bad to think about. This high-rep workout means that today it's working for you!

1. Run/Walk/Ride your age. Try your best run, but if you can't then walk, or ride a bike for at least the number of minutes equal to your age number. For instance, I'm 36, so I'm doing this for 36 minutes-total. If you really want to ramp this one up, figure out your max heart rate range (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/target-heart-rate/SM00083) and stay the percentage of your age number from it. Again, for instance my max heart rate is 156, and I'm 36, so if I stay 36% from 156, my heart rate should stay around 100 beats per minute (about 64% of my max) during my walk/run. I realize that this might not put you at the optimum fat burning level depending on your age number, so go harder if you want, but keep in mind...this is just step one.

2. Push-up your age. Do push-ups equal to your age number. Now for some of us a little farther along in years, this one sounds pretty hard, but it doesn't have to be impossible. If you can't get them done in one go (I certainly can't!) try some variation. Break them up into equal numbered sets. Vary between regular push-ups, knee push-ups, elevated hand push-ups (using steps, a bench, or even your kitchen counter to push your hands off of), or even throw in some wall push-ups. As a last resort, stretch them out through the day if you have to, but you'll get the most calorie burn by hitting them all together, with everything else. Make sure you feel your chest muscles working when you're coming up or it's not a good push-up.

3. Squat your age. Do a single set of squats equal to your age number.

4. Jump your age. Do at least one set of jumping jacks equal to your age number. If you younger bucks and does are thinking that's too easy, divide your age number by 4, and do that many sets of jumping jacks equal to your age number. What's that? You still think it's too easy? Well, you were probably aided by the sassback. Do it again if you really wanna feel it.

5. Leg Lift your age. Do at least 1 set of leg lifts for each leg, equal to your age number.

6. Calf Raise your age. Do at least 1 set of calf raises for each leg, equal to your age number.

7. Plank your age. Take each number of your age number, divided it by half and do 2 planks for that long. For instance, I'm 36 so my first two planks will be 1.5 minutes each, and my next 2 will be 3 minutes each. Again, if this seems too hard vary it a little. (http://www.bodyresults.com/e2planks.asp)

For best results as far as calorie burning is concerned, take very little rest between each exercise...no more than 15-20 seconds. Part 1 should put your heart close to optimum fat burning rate (around 60-70% of your max rate), and the high number of push-ups should get it even higher, with the jumping jacks in the middle keeping it there. Smaller rest times keep it in the zone. However, if you feel like it's getting too much for you...as always, stop! Take a drink, have some rest. If this is too easy for you, add it on to your normal Monday routine for a boost! If too hard, do as much as you can, you might be surprised at how much you can do if you try!

Replies

• Burned over 800 calories in 50 minutes with it!
  • frilly7483
    frilly7483 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'll give this a go and report back tomorrow! :)
  • akossen
    akossen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This is so neat! I"m going to try this starting today, and this is easy to remember! :) Thanks for sharing!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    OMG I thought I was weird for doing my reps this way! I always do multiples of 26 :laugh:
  • Yeah, the other day I was figuring out a target heart rate range and realized that a good range for me is basically my age as a percent, away from my max heart rate, so I jotted all this down, gave it a quick run through and realized that my target fat burning range was bang on almost the entire time I was doing it, so I decided to post it as a challenge and actually log it today. Good luck!

Oh, and if what you're doing works, and is healthy...who cares if people think it's strange! :p
  • momnorg
    momnorg Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    OK I took the challenge. I am 43!!

I walked 38 minutes, and tried jogging but only lasted 5 minutes at 2 1/2 minute intervals.

Then broke the other reps into sets of 10 each, and the planking I could only handle for a minute at a time.

But I made it and feel like I worked hard, and enjoyed the challenge. I'll try it again in a couple days, if I can walk tomorrow! LOL
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the other day I was figuring out a target heart rate range and realized that a good range for me is basically my age as a percent, away from my max heart rate, so I jotted all this down, gave it a quick run through and realized that my target fat burning range was bang on almost the entire time I was doing it, so I decided to post it as a challenge and actually log it today. Good luck!

Oh, and if what you're doing works, and is healthy...who cares if people think it's strange! :p

It's a really neat idea, I'm very impressed! You took weirdness and made it into healthy fun for everyone. Seriously, I love this idea. I think I'll ioncorporate it into the things you suggested as well as using multiples for my reps, thank you :bigsmile: