Fruit is killing me!

Options
I'm on a 1200 calorie limit and I'm simply amazed at how one piece of fruit and almost completely wipe out my allotted amount of sugar. I tell myself there's "good" sugar and "bad" sugar --- but 21 grams of sugar in a pear?! Seriously? Any of you on 1200 calorie limits and cut out fruit entirely?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 calorie limit and I'm simply amazed at how one piece of fruit and almost completely wipe out my allotted amount of sugar. I tell myself there's "good" sugar and "bad" sugar --- but 21 grams of sugar in a pear?! Seriously? Any of you on 1200 calorie limits and cut out fruit entirely?

First I'd look at if 1,200 cals is too low for you.

Then assuming I was getting in adequate protein and fats I wouldn't care about my sugar intake too too much. Despite what people will tell you moderate fruit intake isn't going to hurt your fat loss
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I dont include sugars in fruit or dairy as bad! Just real sugar or such!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Counting sugar is a waste of time. You need to consider the fiber, vitamins and minerals in fruit before thinking about the natural sugars, which really aren't that bad for you.
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    just remember no one ever got fat from eating too many strawberries.....or kiwi's......or apples....or blueberries......or bananas....or.....I think you get my point....:laugh:
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    To be honest I dont really count any sugar that is from fruit and I dont really track it, it wouldnt stop me from having something sweet if I'd aready had my daily allotment of sugar for instance. I have so many things I need to track e.g. calories/fat/salt etc, I just take the view of I will have to pick my battles! I will worry about the sugar in fruit etc when I have achieved my goal and dont have to focus on calories etc as much.

I suppose it depends on where you are in your journey to how much of an issue it is to you.
  • CouldBeAHotMom
    Options
    Unless you need to limit sugar for health reasons, there is no need to track it in your diet.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    just remember no one ever got fat from eating too many strawberries.....or kiwi's......or apples....or blueberries......or bananas....or.....I think you get my point....:laugh:

And that would be why people get told to use fruit to satisfy a sweet tooth or for a dessert. It's sweet but it's not bad for you.

As mentioned, unless you have a medical reason to be tracking your sugar intake and have been given a specific number range from a doctor or nutritionist to stay within, don't worry about your sugar intake.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I don't think natural sugars are bad, so I don't worry at all about them.
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. That's why MFP doesn't separate it. There is no good or bad sugar. So, yes, I limit myself to one or two pieces of fruit for the same reasons you mentioned, because it goes over my allotted sugar. You will hear many people say that they don't count fruit sugar as sugar, but it is still sugar.

I guess it's just that I hate to see anything "in the red". So I try really hard to stay under all my allotted things that I track and sugar is one of them. But really, it's not the most important thing to track. And if you have a sweet tooth, fruit is probably the best thing to eat.
  • epcorne
    epcorne Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I eat SO much fruit throughout the day. I eat a banana with breakfast. Grapes and strawberries for lunch. And usually a chobani yogurt with peaches or blueberries for snack before dinner. I ignore the sugar intake. Fruit is good for you. And it won't make you gain any weight.
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    I'm with everyone else who only keeps track of refined sugar. Fruits are mostly water and have lots of vitamins and minerals. They are high fiber which helps with the metabolism of the sugar in them, unlike refined sugar.
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even worry about your sugar intake, it doesn't do damage to weight loss itself. I eat so much fruit everyday, I am over by at least 60% every single day! But I do agree with others that a 1200 calorie diet is too low if you are exercising regularly.
  • susie10
    susie10 Posts: 10
    Options
    my dr. told me i could have 3 serving of fruit a day. just to try to stay away from fruits high in sugar such as bananas and pears, ggod luck
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. That's why MFP doesn't separate it. There is no good or bad sugar. So, yes, I limit myself to one or two pieces of fruit for the same reasons you mentioned, because it goes over my allotted sugar. You will hear many people say that they don't count fruit sugar as sugar, but it is still sugar.

I guess it's just that I hate to see anything "in the red". So I try really hard to stay under all my allotted things that I track and sugar is one of them. But really, it's not the most important thing to track. And if you have a sweet tooth, fruit is probably the best thing to eat.

That's not true. Fruit sugar is a simple sugar called fructose which breaks down more slowly than glucose (refined sugars in sweets etc). Fructose doesnt give you that sugar spike and put stress on your body like glucose does and doesnt give your insulin levels such a hard time. Fruit is great becaus it contains so many nutrients and vitamins as well as water. You cant really beat it!
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar.

That sounds like the high-fructose corn syrup commercials.
  • LisaJ2904
    LisaJ2904 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You need all types of food in your diet , fructose is the sugar in fruit and it is not bad for you , you also need fat ( arrgh really ) they all have their own special jobs to do in you body... eg... fat helps make your ear wax (which you need) and helps insulate you brain cells (which you really need)..... the fructose is slow release enegry which you need , and bonus ...you will not get the sugar rush/high spike then lull that you get from sweets/chocolate so dont worry about your red marker, it will not effect your weight loss and eat plenty of fresh fruit xx :flowerforyou:
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't have the capacity to differentiate between sugars. Despite what people say - sugars DO differ. Fruit is high in fructose, and is such is a 'natural' sugar. The sugar you find in carbonated soft drinks, or sprinkle on your cereal however is refined, processed sugar which is much higher in sucrose than fructose.

As long as you're within your macros, and the sugar you're getting is derived from natural sources on a 1200 calorie diet I wouldn't be too concerned. If the sugar was fro highly processed ingredients, then that may be an issue.

H :)
  • dijonwillis
    Options
    I have recently stopped tracking fruits and veggies and its worked fine for me
  • zinok
    zinok Posts: 185
    Options
    I honestly don't count my sugars, at least not from fruit. Perhaps it's bad, but the way I see it is that fruit is healthy and has so many other vitamines in it that it's worth eating lots of. Plus, when I have a sweet craving I'm better off turning to a bowl of berries than a bowl of icecream.